AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the verdict on connecting a laptop to Sony HS10: is the native resolution possible or due to lack of DVI outputs on laptops the PJ always coverts it to 1024x... ?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
If your laptop can be configured (usually via powerstrip) to send a 1386*[email protected] signal, you should be able to do 1:1 mapping with your HS10. In this sense it's not different from a desktop machine.

(For instance, the ATI Mobility Radeon on-board video of many laptop should work...)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not entirely true. If you feed the signal through VGA output, HS10 won't give you more than 1024x. And I haven't seen any laptops with DVI outputs. I wonder whether a port replicator can help?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Stasulos, are you sure that the HS10 can't get more than 1024x via the VGA out? I remember reading (or is it a senior moment?) some posts indicating that they did succeed (using powerstrip and a 56Hz refresh rate)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It says so in the manual as well as FAQ says that one can only get full resolution when using DVI output.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I don't have the HS10 projector, but I have been trying to find a laptop with a DVI output for my display. I found that the new Apple PowerBook G4 models have a DVI output, but that would have limited capabilities as an HTPC.

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html

Today I found that the new Dell Inspiron models support DVI through the advanced port replicator. The laptop models that would work are Inspiron 8550, 600M and 500M.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/learnm...pn_details.htm

I have not been able to determine whether the laptops have a built-in DVI port. It appears that the 8550 and 600M are available with the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000, as well.

Edit: There is a 360 degree product view that indicates a 15-pin VGA connector on the back of the 8550 and 600M.

Brian

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I can quite happily run my HS10 via either DVI or VGA at 1366x768. I ran it for a few weeks via VGA until I got the DVI cable and have now settled on DVI (not that the difference is all that obvious). I'm using a Radeon 9000...

ps. this is fact, not speculation :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have run your HS10 through VGA, but not at 1366x768. If you can please check it and post the results. Reconnect through VGA and check the PJ output resolution.

With regards to Apple laptop - this is a no-no. Degraded functionality for more money?

I am still checking whether port replicators can help. My worry is that the result will be just VGA signal running through the DVI connector, thus resulting in 1024x signal. Besides DELL site says "Flat Panel DVI Support" - it does not definitely say that this replicator has a DVI output connector.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Ok Stasulos

As far as I KNOW only users with WIN XP can have the 1368*768 resulution 56 hz in their pc regardless of the connection (BOTH DVI and VGA work....). Except for your Operating Sustem YOUR VIDEO card DRIVER should also support this strange resolution.... THIS IS true for the ATI RADEONS (only radeons not the previous rage 128 etc) most probably for new MATROX and NVIDIA. For ATI radeon I am sure!!!!! So you must find out what video chip is inside your Laptop (check it's drivers) and if it is one of the previous you can try the 1368*768 resolution provided you are RUNNING WINDOWS XP..... otherwise you'll get a virtual 1368*768 which is a scrollable 1024*768.....

I have a thread that explains all this but it a month ago and it seems that no one does a search anymore....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247144

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Leonidas, thank you for your reply. However the link you have provided only says what we knew already: that HS10 gives you full resolution through DVI output when using RADEON and WIN XP. It offers no prove that VGA output gives the full HS10 resolution. So it's not a matter of not using search. The short HS10/2 broshure says it is only capable of 1024x768 through VGA connector, so far no one has disproved it directly.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am sure that other users in the forum with vga can run the 1368*768. I have read one or two replies a short time ago...

Already Xander a few days ago wrote:

"I can quite happily run my HS10 via either DVI or VGA at 1366x768. I ran it for a few weeks via VGA until I got the DVI cable and have now settled on DVI (not that the difference is all that obvious). I'm using a Radeon 9000.."

The HS10 brochure includes the 1368*768 56hz among others and this applies for both vga and dvi

Maybe I am missing your point...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should also read what I wrote to Xander... to get the point... He didn't check the resolution. What he perceived as 1368*768 when using VGA output might have easily been 1024*768.

The trouble is - VGA is an analog output, this keeps me worried. But looks like Dell port replicator may save the day, just as bkzoller said.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
>>You should also read what I wrote to Xander...You should also read what I wrote to Xander... to get the point... He didn't check the resolution

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
When I'm done typing this message I will switch back to DVI since I can now see a difference in that the DVI is quite a bit sharper.
It's sharper because VGA is an analog connection with all those unnecessary image conversions happening. It's good that you've confirmed that you had a No.51 signal, but the core of the problem is that VGA input does not provide quality WXGA signal.

I guess the worst thing is happening here judging from what you say and what is written in the manual. HS10 takes the signal through VGA port. The signal is converted by the PC to analog (possibly even downconverted to fit analog XGA specs.), then HS10 converts the signal to digital, upsamples to WXGA and displays it. The result is the loss of sharpness you observe. :(

·
Registered
200 Posts
The port replicators for the Compaq Evo laptops has a DVI output jack. They are about $100 and you could keep it plugged in all the time. Then you would only have to slide the Evo into the replicator. We have these at work. I'll be getting mine soon.

HTBuilder

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the port replicator assures you get the digital signal straight off the video card or is it same as with VGA output (dig to analog to dig conversions)?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Statuslos,

The HS10 DOES accept an analog WXGA signal via the VGA port (Not downconverted to XGA!). As such it will work with any laptop which can output such signal on its HD15 connector. Thus HS10 + laptop = 1.1 is POSSIBLE (using the full widescreen)

Granted it will look at its best if your laptop, or desktop for that matter, has a DVI port... but that is the case with 99.9% of the digital displays on the market (LCD, DLP, Plasmas, etc).

One should also consider the quality of the cable (and length) in use with analog wiring. I can tell you that moving to good (but not horrendously expensive) HD-15/VGA cables made a big different on my computer monitor and projector (DVI cables are less prone to such issues, up to a point at which you will have a black screen when the VGA signal would still show an OK picture)

One other thing to consider is that the analog connection might result in better color gradients: DVI has a set number of bits (8, I believe) per color. Some RGB outpouts are based on 10bits (granted transformed into analog)... and some projectors can digitize and differentiate between more than 8 bits... which explains why some people prefer to use the analog out for DVDs, etc.

I would be very surprised if any of the DVI ports on a replicator would do a A to D conversion... this would be a more costly situation than pulling these signals from the dedicated docking connector.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, that sounds good. As long as port replicators get me straight digital output through DVI I should be all set.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The port replicator for the current Compaq Evo business laptops has a DVI output. I'm using one with a Evo N610c to write this email on a DVI LCD monitor.

I haven't tried using Powerstrip to do non-standard resolutions though. The video card is a Radeon Mobility.

alex

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.