Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
 http://www.bpcvalue.com/

Look under LCD Projectors.

It's the VPLLCT10.B, even though it doesn't list the HS10, it's still the correct lens (see the manual). It's listed as B-stock, but mine was brand new.

Plus, I have one and works perfectly :)

-D

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
I'd like to use a CC40R glass filter on the HS10 to improve blacks but I'm not sure even if one is made available (e.g., by Steve) for the larger long throw lens if it will work properly. I think someone stated it could screw up focus on some forum. I'm also wondering since the long throw lens is an addition, not replacement, for the existing lens if we're talking significant reduction in lumen output.

If I understand things correctly the plexiglass cover has to come off if the long throw lens is attached? This might mean an increased likelihood of dust problems?

Also, the warranty on the VPLLCT10.B on www.bpcvalue.com states "B Stock, sold as is with no warranties of any kind". I'm a bit concerned about this. Anyone know where Sony may have gotten these lenses?

·
Registered
884 Posts
WynsWrld98

I ordered this lens assy today. I have been watching them for over a month. It is my understanding that most of these are returns from Sony professional lease projectors. I have my present projector mounted in a filtered enclosure. You can use the thin flat film like filter .

Bobcat on this forum found the deal a couple of months ago and ordered a short throw. They sent him the long throw by mistake and I almost bought it from him. He stated that the lens was in perfect shape when hew received it. Some one else bought a projector mount from them and it was new in the box.

Dmilani

Thanks for the heads up. I was prompted to order by your post fearing if I waited for them to drop more in price they would sell out. Still haven't bought the projector yet. I have a 106" screen and projector is behind rear wall. At around 19.5 ' I would have had to buy a $600 screen replacement and rearrange my speaker mounting .

Still holding on to the 400Q for now . Hope to upgrade soon . John

·
Registered
884 Posts
The long throw lens is here.

I ordered the VPLLCT10 from Bpcvalue for $300 on 4/19/03 and received it today 3 day air included. Man this lens is huge. It came packed in a Sony factory box with paper work and looks brand new. The lens looks very high quality. I can't see this causing any loss of picture quality. But time will tell.

Waiting on my old projector to sell and then will order a HS-10. I know the HS-10 will look stunning on a 106" Hi Power screen. John

P.S. Dealers were getting $1500 for this lens new. If you need a longer throw in your setup this is a great deal !;)

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
johnathan: what's the diameter of the lens? I have one on order as well and am working with Steve at Enhanced HT to try and come up with a way for us to be able to use a CC30R or CC40R filter with this lens. If you can post the diameter I'll pass it onto Steve.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
HTnut: yes, that is its purpose. I would call the HS10 throw longer than some projectors but certainly not a "long" throw. My current Sony 400Q with its standard lens has a significantly longer throw than the HS10 with its standard lens.

You can find the HS10 manual if you go to www.hs10.com and go to the HS10 forum and click on the HS10 FAQ topic.

Personally I found the throw distance chart for the long and short throw lenses in the HS10 manual confusing but I didn't spend a lot of time reading it. If you have more time/patience perhaps you'll do better reading it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
WynsWrld98

The spec sheet states 104.4mm or 4 1/8" Dia.

It is a large lens.

HTnut

Since the data sheet on the lens is for the Sony VPL-PS10 a 4:3 business

projector there is not a clear cut answer on the exact screen size. I can tell you that the intent is to make the long throw longer. Another words the screen size would be smaller for your 17 to 18 foot throw distance.

On the VPL-PS10 for a 100" screen standard lens is 12 to 14.9 feet

with the Long throw lens the throw is increased to 18.9 feet for a 100" screen . I will try to come up with more info relating to the HS-10. You could call a dealer your self. And take my info with a grain of salt as I don't have the HS-10 yet ! John

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The manual has the throw distance for the long and short throw lenses (at the end of the manual). Just use the generic formula below the table and plug in your desired screen diagnal size in inches. The formula will calculate the throw distance.

I've used the formula and it's pretty close (within a few inches) to my actual throw distance using the long throw lens.

-D

·
Registered
884 Posts
From the HS-10 manual looks like 19.5 feet for a 100" daig screen with the long throw lens or 15.4 feet with the standard lens. My guess is a 30% increase in throw. John

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
johnathan: thanks for the long throw lens diameter info. I e-mailed it to Steve at Enhanced HT and will post if he comes up with a CC30R or CC40R filter that will work with the long throw lens.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too would be interested in a CC40R filter for the long throw lens. I bought the unmounted Optiflex filter from Steve but haven't tried it yet. A mounted filter would be better.

Also, since the long throw lens is so huge, plus the fact that the lens shield can't be used when it's in place, I would image that heat would not be an issue. Therefore, the plastic filter would probably work well, and we wouldn't need the added expense of a glass filter. Of course if the glass filter is better in other ways (image quality) then that would be a different story.

-D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Sounds good

Some time down the road I may worry about the filter and smart. But out of the box the HS-10's I have seen looked great . Now after a time I am sure the tweaking will Begin.

John

·
Registered
884 Posts
Is it me or is the math formula for screen size in the HS-10 manual confusing. I need to know the distance for a 106" screen . John

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is a little confusing, as you have to enter the screen size in inches (106"), but the throw distance comes out in mm. So, you have to do the conversion (my engineering calculator comes in handy).

So, the throw distance for 106" diagnal 16:9 screen is 248.8" or 20.73'.

This seems pretty close, as I have my HS10 mounted about 20.5' from a 106" High Power screen and still have some room to play with for making the image a little smaller if needed.

Going bigger is not a problem, of course, as the zoom has plenty of room, but it's recommended to keep the zoom as far out as possible to minimize distortion around the edges of the image.

-D

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Steve of Enhanced HT responded and stated due to the long throw lens not being used that frequently with the HS10 his company has no plans of making any kind of filter that will fit it.

DMILANI: can you provide more info about the unmounted Optiflex filter you refer to, how you're attaching it to the long throw lens, cost, is it a CC30R or CC40R, etc.?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think you can buy the filter in sheets of a film or mylar type material.

If so you would have to get a ring or lens cap and modify it with the filter trimmed to fit. Then use epoxie or something to bond the filter to the ring.

Any way it will be next week before I order the HS-10. You may be able to get a filter that diameter at a photo supply .

DMILANI

Thanks for your input on the throw distance. I bet that the HS-10 looks very bright on the 106" Hi Power. My guess would be 30 to 40 foot lamberts. That is twice as bright as most movie theaters. I am very excited about the up grade.

WynsWrld98

Have you recieved your lens yet. Like I said the lens is rather large and it looks to be very high quality. Any one that needs one should not miss out on the deal. John:D

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Nope, the long throw lens hasn't arrived yet... It was ordered 4/21.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ordered mine on 4-19 received on 2-23

I have been looking at 105mm filters. The glass cc40r type are $200+.

But I think with this push on lens cover at B&H photo Mfr Catalog # 91030369 • B&H Catalog # SCLC105 $19.99

And

6X6 150mm CC40R filter Mfr# EK1707645 • B&H# KOCC40R66 $42.50

you could make a custom filter for the 104.5mm lens.

If you search you may be able to find a 105mm filter but at what cost ?

Any way it's a start for a filter for the VPLCT10 long throw lens john

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.