AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience yet with having an HS10 repaired at the Sony repair center in Laredo, TX? Apparently, all HS10s are being directed there for repairs, and I will be sending mine there in a couple of weeks to (hopefully) fix my lamp cover bug and my sticky fan.

If anyone has a direct phone number to this facility (like someone posted several months ago for Norcross, GA when the HS10s were being repaired there), I would really appreciate if you could post it or PM me with it.

Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
well I don't have an hs10, (i have a z1 actually) but I had to respond because I live in Laredo, Texas. I knew we had a Sony maquiladora (dual plants in Laredo and Nuevo laredo, Mexico) but I didn't know the pj repair center was here. Cool. I wonder if I could get a reapired one cheap here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just got mine back from Laredo, TX. Well the unit is definitely working again, though I am not sure exactly was done to it. It is very possible that they just replaced the bulb. We shall see in 200 hours if the bulb needs to be replaced again.

Anyway it is nice to have it back, but the experience wasn't all that pleasant. I sent it out on March 8, and they received/signed for it on March 11. After that it kind of went into a black hole. I checked its online status everyday and it always said N/A for received, and that it hadn't been received when clicking on the work order link. Even after I have received it fixed from Sony the website still says this?!

I called the support line probably every other day after day 7 on their dock and while CSRs were friendly they couldn't give me any definite answers on its status... only that is had been received even though the website said to the contrary. Anyway on Monday they called to tell me that it had been assigned to a technician, or was awaiting a technician or something like that. I was pleased they called, but my patience was wearing pretty thin. At that point it had been waiting on there dock for 17 days!

Anyway, yesterday without any warning (4/30) FedEx dropped it off. I was just too happy to have it back. My box was in pretty poor shape shape though. The big copper staples that hold the box together had almost all come out, I think only love was keeping those staples from spilling the projector on the ground... I can't imagine the forces it must have experienced either on the Sony dock, or in transit. The FedEx guy said he had made a note of the box condition.

The unit was NOT wrapped in foamwrap, or even plastic wrap (which is how I sent it), but was bare in the box. It does appear to be running just fine though. My problem was the lamp would not stay lit for more than 45 seconds. I had it on for 10 hours yesterday without any issues.

So to make a long story short... I am very happy to have my projector back. The HS10 puts out an extraordinary image. The repair process though left quite a bit to be desired, but sometimes you have to dance with the devil, and this meant letting my HS10 sit on Sony's dock for 17 days waiting for a technician, while they beat up on its box. Anything for that beautiful image is worth it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
707 Posts
jspielberg:

I received my projector in its box exactly as you described. I was surprised it was even working. But for me the problem was not the lamp and it looks as though they treated it as such since so many people seem to have this problem. The only thing I can tell they did to mine was reset the lamp timer.

My projector displays this green line down the whole screen about 2 inches from the edge of the screen. It is noticable during bright scenes in movies especially. It is not eye bulging apparent but you can definitly see it from the couch (a good 10-12 feet back) if you look. It is just annoying.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yikes! I thought I would be safer sending my HS10 in for repair rather than take my chances with a replacement unit, but now I am thinking the other way around. I will be calling my dealer tomorrow for a replacement. Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
187 Posts
My HS10 is suffering occasional problems of the "lamp/cover" and "fan sticking" faults. Called the B&M dealer where I bought it and they will replace the entire projector just as soon as they get one in. Given the sorry tales of apparent incompetence at the Sony repair facility, I'm glad to have paid the extra for a dealer that gives good service.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am glad I didn't hurry and ship my projector to Laredo,TX. Instead, I called and complained to a CSR mgr and he finally agreed that I shouldn't have to ship the unit to sony if it is just a bulb. He agreed to send me a bulb but they were backordered at sony until May 7th so I would have to wait.

Good News, I received a bulb yesterday 05/02/03 via overnight fedex from the service center in Laredo,TX so it looks like Sony now has bulbs in stock at the repair center.

The new bulb is a lot brighter and the projector seems to work fine now. I remember reading that several people had their bulbs replaced and the original lamp/cover/shutdown problem returned.

I hope the new bulb fixes mine!

BTW, Don't assume that buying from a local dealer and paying more will get you any better support. I purchased my Projector from a very well known upscale dealer here in Dallas, TX (Star Power) and they have treated me like a step child. I called them three times concerning my lamp/shutdown issue and was old all three times that they could not help me, I should call the Sony support number in the manual, however, they were very quick to remind me that I should have purchased the loaner warranty from them for $750. Considering I paid them retail price $2999 (-$100 for their screwups) I thought $750 (25% of purchase price) was too much. I owned the projector for 31 days when it started having problems and they never offered to assist with a repair or replacement.

Buyer beware Star Power in Dallas,TX is BAD news!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.