AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the projectorcentral.com review they describe that the the TW100 has more light output than the HS10 after tweaking despite the HS10 specs.

Does this mean for the HS10 additional filters and calibration and for the the TW100 no mods?

What about if I use the HS10 without additional filters?

Did anyone have the chance to compare both models?

·
Registered
697 Posts
It has been widely purported that Epson's published specs are closer to the truth than most manufacturers. Steve Smallcombe's REVIEW of the TW100 reveals that the TW100 actually doesn't require any filter to achieve excellent color balance. Of course, what this means is that no brightness needs to be sacrificed in order to get a properly calibrated picture.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had a TW100 Version 1.0 back in October for month before I sent it back. I have an HS10 right now (well, it is with Sony for repairs).

I can tell you with almost 100% certainty, that the TW100 (at least the one I had) was a cannon! It was way bright, almost too bright. Especially in a dark light controlled room.

The HS10 on the other hand, is nice and bright, but it just does not have that "pop off the screen" type of brightness.

Remember I had the first version. So I have no idea of the new one is any better or not. And this is based off my memory. But I can tell you when I got that Epson and flipped her on, it was nearly blinding at first. Did not experience that with the HS10, but it is still just fine for me.

Chris

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
I can tell you with almost 100% certainty, that the TW100 (at least the one I had) was a cannon! It was way bright, almost too bright. Especially in a dark light controlled room.
Hmm... the review by Bill Cushman , which says "it is one of the

brightest projectors I have measured..." seems to corroborate your finding, but just out of curiosity, what screen do you use?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Screen? Not yet. I just spent a wad and a half on speakers, receiver, and a new computer. I figure the screen can wait for a bit. I am quite happy with my current setup. I will probably be using a homemade screen in the near future using the Parkland Plastic sheet found at our local Lowes. Then upgrade to something like the Da-Lite HCCV or something.

Despite that. Using the same setup. With the projectors mounted in the exact same position. I would say the Epson was substantially brighter. Even though I don't have an ideal screen.

Chris

·
Registered
697 Posts
metropole:

As I understand it, the Epson and Yamaha are definitely related. Obviously the exterior case is different (Yamaha's is more refined), but I believe that Yamaha has tweaked the optical engine and firmware. Both machines are excellent from all I've heard and seen (I saw the Yamaha at CES), but I would be willing to believe that the Yamaha is marginally/incrementally better. I think the Yamaha is slightly more money. I heard there might be less light leakage on the Yamaha as well.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an HS10 on backorder, got sudenly interested in the TW100H, and know into the Yamaha.

What is the street price range of the Yamaha?

(HS10 avg 2500, epson avg 3600, ...)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, the Yamaha LPX-500 is a "tweaked" clone of the TW100H/ug (see my comparison here ). However, due to the fact that Yamaha's "visual" division strictly prohibits online resale of its products in the US, the LPX-500 is definitely overpriced here. Sure you can find one in your local B&M AV dealers, but they will sell it for fairly close to the whopping $5500 MSRP. In contrast, as many realize, you can get the Epson for a much better price, especially online.

I picked up the Yamaha in Tokyo, mainly because it was in fact cheaper than the Epson there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.