·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These three display models are on closeout in my local store

ShowStopper PV-HS1000

ShowStopper PV-HS2000

Sonic Blue ReplayTV 4504

They are all relatively the same price. So that is not in question. I will probably have to find a remote to use with them unless the manager can find the originals (all open box demo units)

The price is about the same for each one, but obviously one of them MUST be 'worth' more. Can anyone help me decide which one?

I have upgraded my tivo so Im not at all concerned about drive size because this would be the first thing I do on the unit I buy. I am very interested in the streaming video to my laptop option (via DVarchive). Would these be possible with some sort of wireless connection on any of these available units?

Ive read through alot of posts and am aware of the differences in the units, but given I will be upgrading it anyways, sometimes older units may be more hackable. Its true of Tivos is it true for Replay TV?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The PVHS-2000 is worth roughly $300. It includes the lifetime service, so you won't have to pay an extra $250. The PVHS-1000 is the same as the 2000 except it has fewer hours, so the 2000 wins that race.

However, the Showstoppers are not supported anymore, so they will receive no new software updates.

The 4504 is a relatively new model, and will be supported far into the forseeable future. It supports ethernet connections, and has more inputs and features than the Showstoppers. However, you will have to pay $250 to get a lifetime activation, or $10 a month forever. (In very rare cases the store has activated it lifetime already, so you could make out like a bandit.)

Depending on the cost, it could be worth your while to buy all three and sell the Showstoppers on eBay. If both of them are under $200, you can make $100 on each of them easily which will mostly pay for the activation on the 4504.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MxRodriguez
These three display models are on closeout in my local store

ShowStopper PV-HS1000

ShowStopper PV-HS2000

Sonic Blue ReplayTV 4504

The price is about the same for each one, but obviously one of them MUST be 'worth' more. Can anyone help me decide which one?
Just curious, what are the prices of these "closeouts"?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks alot for the reply.

So with the HS2000, HS1000 I wont have to buy the service AND I can upgrade the drive. Are the missing updates a big deal considering this will be a secondary/backup PVR to use in the bedroom for show confilcts?

If I can really get 100$ for each of these (without manual or remotes) it might be worth it for me to get them all and sell them on ebay and use the 4504 for new updates and activation.

I saw them yesterday at the store I hope they are still there during my lunch break.

:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prices on these units is about $120 each..

but Im sure I can bargain down a better deal.

What are they worth considering:

display model

no remote

no cables

no returns

They do power on .

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yeah, you can easily get $300 (usually slightly more) for the PVHS-2000 and very close to that if not exactly for the PVHS-1000. So, if it is worth it to you to spend the time on the eBay sale, and the closeout prices will give you enough of a profit, I would totally recommend doing it that way.

All three can be upgraded.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Ok, they have the power cable, so you'll get at least $225. You can download the pdf manual for each and print it out to include with the shipment, and if you're really ambitious you can go to radio shack and buy a $10 remote then program it to control the Replay (JP-1 cable and computer needed).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MxRodriguez
Prices on these units is about $120 each..

but Im sure I can bargain down a better deal.

What are they worth considering:

display model

no remote

no cables

no returns

They do power on .
Out of curiousity, where are you getting these from?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You might have a firmware problem with the older units if they were never attached to a phone line and only used in demo mode. Do a search here for "showstopper doesn't conncect" or something like that.

jack

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Out of curiousity, where are you getting these from?
Yeah, Where exactly do you live? :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not taking into account the ebay thing, if you want to stream from the ReplayTV unit to your computer, then the 4504 is the only option. The pre-4XXX units don't do this and cannot be made to do this. You can however extract video from the older units if you hook their HD up to a computer.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xstrym
Yeah, Where exactly do you live? :D
I just have this feeling that I know exactly where he saw these units. Unfortunately I was planning on stopping by there today to see if they had any left.

It wouldn't be a store in Jersey, would it?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Scyber,

Are you telling me that you saw these units yourself and you didn't snatch them up immediately. I'm surprised. You're hardly a newbie. You know what these things are going for on eBay. :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gweempose
Scyber,

Are you telling me that you saw these units yourself and you didn't snatch them up immediately. I'm surprised. You're hardly a newbie. You know what these things are going for on eBay. :)
Nope they were going for more 2 weeks ago when I picked up my 5040 for $150, but the store is going out of business so if it is still open, all of the products are probably slashed even more.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Showstoppers aint getting what they were a couple of months ago, I think the chapter 11 hurt, it took me 3 trys to sell a hs2000 for $200 on ebay

the last month. I know where 3 are right now at a Sears and they want $277 for openbox with no remotes, and $377 for one in box. I've been watching every week an they wont come off of that price. If you can get em for a hundy its hard to pass up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Scyber..

You found me out... and now I know who snatches up all the good deals before I get to them.

The three replaytvs we there as of last Saturday at 120$ each. I have a Tivo which I bought at a closeout store a few months back for 75$ so I was getting greedy hoping the replaytvs would go down even lower.

All for nothing though now since I couldnt even check on Monday because the store closed at 5pm instead of the regular 9pm. Anyone interested should go clean them out of anything left. (Paramus WIZ) Today is the VERY last day. But they are open from 10am to 5pm and I work too far away to even check them out.

Good luck to anyone that can get to the store. But remember me when you sell it :) maybe you can give me a good resell price.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Rule number one: Never post about any great deals you find online or at a local B&M store, until you already got yours on order or in your hands :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I sold my PVHS-2000 on ebay just three weeks ago for $325. My 200 positive feedbacks couldn't have hurt. (100% positive, woo hoo)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up the PVHS-2000 for only 40 bucks on Monday morning . The top of the case has lost a lot of paint but it worked fine once I updated the OS.I'm still not sure if I'll keep it. I have a 4504 and 5040 both upgraded to 160 GB. so I don't really need it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.