AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any PQ advantage in "bumping up" the HS2 recording mode when transferring material from the HDD to DVD? In other words, are there PQ benefits in going from HDD EP/LP/SP modes to DVD LP/SP/XP modes, respectively, rather than making the transfers to DVD in the same mode as originally recorded to the HDD? I know in making VCR-to-VCR transfers (for consolidation/editing), rerecording LP source material looks better if you transfer from LP to SP rather than from LP to LP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In using my HS2 I get the impression that the "high speed" option between the hard disk and DVD-RAM is essentially an exact digital transfer between two mass storage devices. As the other operations occur in real time, I suspect that the digital data is used to generate a video signal which is then resampled and recorded as digital data in the specified sampling rate, picking up compression artifact each time.

If this is true, optimum quality will be achieved using "XP" to record to the hard disk, doing editing on the hard disk, and dubbing to DVD-R in the "FR" mode to fill the DVD-R with the maximum quality permitted by the length of the program and the size of the disk. I have had excellent results doing this.

I suspect that if you transfer "LP" to "SP" you will limit further degradation, but will never regain anything lost in the original "LP" compression.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks threadbane. I hear what you're saying about XP recording. But how about this scenario: While on vacation, you record the max 52 hours to the HDD in EP. Upon returning and viewing, you decide to keep one hour of it for all eternity. In saving it to DVD, is there any PQ advantage to doing so in LP over EP, let alone in SP, XP, or FR?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe there would be a slight advantage in making the final save at a higher quality setting (less compression), as I believe every re-compression will introduce its own artifact. The higher the quality setting when you go to DVD-R, the less new artifact will be introduced.

I guess one question I don't yet have the answer to is whether an EP HDD recording saved to DVD-R as EP will be a direct digital copy or if it is reconstituted and then recompressed. We will have to wait for one of the experts on the forum to come in on this. I believe the file format may be different on DVD-R from the HDD and DVD-RAM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.