AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Occasionally my Panasonic HS2 has been turning off early in dvd recordings. When I start the recording over the HS2 shows "RECOVER" briefly. This only occurs in the first minute or so and than it works properly......Any ideas???? This problem does not occur with the hd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I have a possible idea, but you're not gonna like it. I've had two E20 units break, and before they totally broke and wouldn't record DVD-Rs at all, here's what they were doing: (sound familiar?)

During the first two minutes of recording, the machine will spontaneously turn off. I would repower it up, the disc might or might not have been ruined (either I'd be able to start the recording again, or it would say 0:00 space remaining and the disc could not be finalized), but if I tried the recording again, often it would work. However, as the problem progressed, more often than not the discs were ruined, after a while the player started turning off at different points, even towards the end of the recording.

Additional symptoms I experienced, and I can't remember exactly when this started happening in the process, were (1) an apparent increase in finickiness about reading discs, as in I'd insert one, even a blank disc, they would refuse to read it (opening the door), I'd get false "wrong kind of disc errors", or it just didn't seem to register. I'd remove the disc, turn it around, try again, it might work, it might not, sometimes turning it around a number of times before it read properly; (2) an increase in the number of discs that wouldn't finalize properly; and (3) sometimes the machine wouldn't let me edit title menus.

So be careful, keep an eye on it, and be prepared for the worse...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My problem is not as bad as what you are describing. I have always been able to record on the same dvd-r when this happens and it does not reject any dvd's(yet). When your 20's broke were you able to get them repaired properly? If so where????---thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you took them to panasonic in Cypress did they repair them correctly and how long did they take??Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, each of mine that broke started out like yours is doing, and got progressively worse, eventually ruining the DVD-Rs each time. So if it gets any worse, be prepared.

No, I haven't taken them to be repaired. I was in no mood to drive 120 miles to get these puppies fixed, and in even less of a mood to *pay* to get them fixed, given how EXTREMELY DISPLEASED I was that one broke at nine months, one at only four months old, just out of warranty. I was even less pleased with Panasonic when I tried to contact them to find out the Cypress facility's hours, and whether I could mail them in and then pick the machines up, and I couldn't get through on the phone line, despite a full day's worth of trying, and my e-mail didn't get answered for four or five days, and even then, they didn't answer a single one of my questions, not even to give me the hours of operation. Extremely POOR customer service, IMHO.

I've considered having them repaired and selling them on e-bay, but since I bought my RDX2, my motivation is very low to do much of anything with them in the near future. Haven't made up my mind. At the rate prices at dropping, I probably wouldn't get what I paid to repair them for used units, and I wouldn't want to stick someone else with a lemon. Or two lemons, as the case may be.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which brand dvd-r's are you using?Did you try different brands?? My Hs2 was showing a U11 code last night which shows a problem with the dvd'r in the manual. I just finished a batch and have some new ones to try out......Hopefully that is the solution???

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Logan
Occasionally my Panasonic HS2 has been turning off early in dvd recordings. When I start the recording over the HS2 shows "RECOVER" briefly. This only occurs in the first minute or so and than it works properly......Any ideas???? This problem does not occur with the hd.
This problem usually indicates a media failure. You didn't state what type/brand of media you have been using. The cheapies are famous for this kind of behavior.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that it is a media failure....The first batch of blanks were from americal.com. I am now trying some Panasonic dvd-r's with better results so far.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unfortunately, I was using branded DVD-Rs at all times. Started out with Apples. Switching to Imation or Memorex seemed to resolve the problem temporarily, I thought I had it licked, and then they started failing, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have also had this problem in buring DVD-r. This was on TDK DVD -r general media, on 2 out of 3 disks so far. It fails initially, and sometimes several times... but eventually I can burn it. Any definitive suggestions... this seems like a pretty good brand of media but I guess it could be a bad batch.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Paul, what brand did you switch to? And what brand did you switch from? Have you been able to dub from an XP recording using FR for a program length less than 2 hours?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my latest batch of dvd r's from Judy's Deals.com. The first batch of 25 came from americal.com. My problems with the shutdown on my HS2 occured with the last 4-5 on the bottom of the spindle from americal. Maybe they were warped??? As for transfering with FR I use it frequently with great results on programs over 2 hours.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not tried to transfer an x1 recording of less than 2 hours in FR....but I will give it a try and let you know if it works.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would agree that this behaviour seems to be media related. I experienced the same symptoms with some media, but changing media resolved it. 'Branded' media does not mean that it is good, just expensive, IMHO. There are a limited number of dyes being used, with both branded and cheapies using the same dyes. Cheapies may have lower quality control thresholds than the branded media, but this does not improve the compatibility of the dye being used. I personally use the Datawrite 'Classic' DVD-R's, with no coasters yet, and they seem pretty good on compatibility with other players too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.