AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered mine on October 31st and still don't have it. Ordered from C**. If it's not OK to put the dealer reference here, I'll remove it, but I'd still like to know how long everyone is having to wait. Thanks!

·
Registered
899 Posts
I ordered mine January 20th, website (not the one you are referring to) said they were in stock. Then heard they actually didn't have any, but SONY was shipping them some on the 22nd and mine would ship this past Monday. Now I hear 2-3 weeks. Gotta love the run-around...

Waiting patiently. Doesn't look like it'll be here for the SuperBowl or Daytona500, two great HDTV presentations I could have seen viewing a projector for the first time. Oh well, I was going to have to run out and buy a HD tuner anyway...

The basement theater build isn't even started yet, so I guess I'm in no real hurry. I'll try and be patient.

You would think Sony would run the assembly line 24/7 if they really wanted to make money. Demand is high, supply is low!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ordered mine, IIRC, 19th of December. It was shipped on the 4th of Jan (they could have shipped it sooner, but I was going to be out of town and didn't want it to arrive w/o me being home), and I recieved it on 9th of Jan.

It helps if you can call the retailer directly, to talk to a real person.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered mine on Nov 17 from P*P* and I just received it Last Friday (Jan 23). It cost 2899 and while the wait wasn't fun it's great now that I have it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I ordered mine from an Sony Authorized Online dealership on Jan 21st and had it on my door step on the 22nd. (They ship from Seattle area and I live in Portland) I paid 3 kilobucks even, but I'd rather have it right way than save the $100. Unfortunatly, if you were to CALL them, I think they will tell you that they are currently out of stock again.

Unfortunatly, it looks like my pj was defective and I am shipping it back to Sony's repair center. So I ALSO won't see the big game on the big screen.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If anyone knows where I can order an HS20 please PM me.

I called a forum sponsor that sells Sony and they told me no availability until May time - however, they said in all probability it wouldn't be available until June/July.

I called Sony Style directly and they said they have no projectors in stock, can't accept any orders, and have no idea when they may be available. They also said they could not tell me where I could find one at retail.

Is the HS20 a "phantom" projector? Do they really exist? Is Sony a strange company or what?:confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had color purity issues. The left side of the projector had a quite pronounced magenta tint.

It is horrible in test-patterns, but I see it in standard video material. Perfect example. We watched X2 just before packing up the projector, and you see the color purity issue in the snow scene in the beginning, any shot with the sky, and even the all gray door to Cerebo. The metal door is steel blue on one side and pink tint on the other.

There is a poll and discussion thread on this subject:

Sony HS20 Color Uniformity/Purity Poll

I have a sneaky suspicion that Sony is trying to address these issues in the factory and that is why they have had a hard time shipping product.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got mine from Sound City Within two days of ordering. As some of you know I had ordered from same as referenced in Original post,couldn't wait.

Sound City came real close to the amazing price I got and had it in stock..

Now just trying to finish A/V room in basement....Still....

Alex

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
it looks like my pj was defective and I am shipping it back to Sony's repair center
Think twice before ship to Sony Repair center. Sony has the worst customer service among others. You are damn lucky if they can have your unit in couple weeks. Usually months ...:D

Talk to your dealer first, have them exhange instead of dealing with SONY.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Order mine last week through Sony service center in San Jose. They say will be 4 weeks back-ordered. Since I got it real cheap, I don't mind waiting.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Guys, please watch yourselves on this thread. Too many posts are crossing the line with pricing and dealer info. Don't make me close it.

Thanks,

MP

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday (1/28). I ordered it from an online vendor (I'll skip their name & price as per the rules) last Thursday afternoon (1/22). They shipped it out the following day (1/23), it just took the 5 days since they were across the country, and I didn't bother upgrading the shipping since I didn't mind Wednesday vs Monday delivery.

their 'availability' went from "in stock" (when a friend of mine ordered theirs in December - he received it promptly after ordering) to "back ordered" to "out of stock" with an estimated time in the '2-4 weeks' range or some such in early January. Last Wednesday, I noticed it was listed back "in stock" on their site. I called 'em up, and the sales rep thought they were out of stock. I told him 'hey, the website says they're in stock now', he said he'd check, then "oh yeah, how about that, they're in stock" so I placed my order. This week they're listed back "out of stock" again there, so I guess they get bursts of shipments and aren't great at predicting their arrival.

But for me, no long wait, just good timing on checking availability and the peace of mind of my friend's prior success with the vendor. Best of luck to those still searching...

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
June/July for availability? Been waiting since October? OMG! Doesn't Sony actually want to sell these things? Man I didn't know these were that backed-up.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I bought one on eBay on November 1, from a USA dealer. Registered it on the Sony Web site with no problem. Even received a confirmation of registration via e-mail.

This dealer seems to have one listed now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Poochie
Mine arrived yesterday (1/28). I ordered it from an online vendor (I'll skip their name & price as per the rules) last Thursday afternoon (1/22). They shipped it out the following day (1/23), it just took the 5 days since they were across the country, and I didn't bother upgrading the shipping since I didn't mind Wednesday vs Monday delivery.

their 'availability' went from "in stock" (when a friend of mine ordered theirs in December - he received it promptly after ordering) to "back ordered" to "out of stock" with an estimated time in the '2-4 weeks' range or some such in early January. Last Wednesday, I noticed it was listed back "in stock" on their site. I called 'em up, and the sales rep thought they were out of stock. I told him 'hey, the website says they're in stock now', he said he'd check, then "oh yeah, how about that, they're in stock" so I placed my order. This week they're listed back "out of stock" again there, so I guess they get bursts of shipments and aren't great at predicting their arrival.

But for me, no long wait, just good timing on checking availability and the peace of mind of my friend's prior success with the vendor. Best of luck to those still searching...
Sounds like you ordered from DataVis -- they almost always say they have something in stock, even if they don't. Once you place your oder for something that is listed and confirmed as "in stock", it will frequently switch to "shipping in 2-3 weeks" when you check your online order status. They also claim they are a sony authorized dealer, but their authorization link only lists a few sony product lines, and no projectors are listed.

I ended up cancalling my order with them (then went through a huge ordeal to get all of my money back)

If you did order from them, I'd confirm with Sony that they actually are an authorized deal, your warranty is valid, etc. And cross your fingers that everything goes smoothly with the order, they're not very interested in resolving customer problems. They also have a very poor (and deserved) reseller ratings.

I would have placed an order with an AVS sponsor, but none of them had any availaibility. I eventually found a good retailer that had them in stock and at a good price.

·
Registered
216 Posts
z500zag,

No, I didn't order from DavaVis. Didn't even hear about DataVis until you mentioned them. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'online vendor' but rather 'vendor that happens to have an online presence' as they also have a retail B&M store in NYC.

I hope my parable didn't mislead ... I was trying to point out that, at least in my case, I was able to find a place that had accurate (as far as I could fathom) "availability" data on their site. In fact it appeared that the website was so 'up to date' that it even surprised the sales rep I got when I called, since (as we all know from this thread) HS20's are in short supply. The sales rep checked when I told him their site said "in stock" when I called, and assured me it would ship out the following morning once he confirmed the site's reported availability was accurate. I placed the order, and got confirmation of shipment including a UPS tracking # via email the next morning as promised.

When I said 'they weren't good at predicting their arrival' I meant '...arrival of HS20s into their inventory', not '...arrival of pre-ordered units to customers'. In fact I don't even know if they take pre-orders, as I never looked to go that route with any vendor.

I just pointed out later they were back to 'out of stock' later to show the tightness of the supply right now ... not that my order got changed or delayed or anything. In fact my order went extremely smoothly, with none of the nightmarish runaround like you experienced at DataVis or others tell of in this thread.

I hope that clears things up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did anyone who ordered from C** recieve their projector yet? If I had to wait until July to get my projector, I might as well wait for the HS30.

Russ

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.