AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question regarding the inputs on the soon to be released Sony HS20. Projectorcentral lists the specs:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-HS20.htm

for the projector:

HDTV: 1080i,720p,575i

EDTV/480p: Yes

SDTV/480i: Yes

Component Video: Yes

Video: Yes

Digital Input: HDMI

Personal Computers: Yes

I presume this to mean that it has one component, one composite, and one HDMI interface, but am unsure. Does anyone know exactly what inputs will be on the device? Will it have two digital interfaces, one DVI and the other HDMI, or will DVI users be forced to purchase an adapter? What are the differences between DVI and HDMI? (connector and cable length limits might be nice to know) Will it take SVIDEO as well?

Finally, I saw in another thread someone speculating that the HD20 will have 1.3" LCDs, but the posted specs state that it will be .9".

Display: Type: 0.9" TFT LCD (3)

Native: 1386x788 Pixels

Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WXGA)

Can anyone out there give a complete list of all the connectors? I have contractors working in my apt and if I buy this I have the perfect opportunity right now to run conduit from under the floor, up inside the walls, and behind the ceiling to the projector. I might as well fill that conduit cable for every input on the projector in advance. I'm certain others would find this information useful as well.

Thanks!

--Maynard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just an addendum: the projectorcentral review of the HS10 lists these inputs:

The connector panel on the rear of the unit has one S-video port, one composite video RCA jack, a 3-RCA component port, a DVI-D port. It also has a custom "PJ Multi Input" port that will take composite, S-video, and component signals all via a single custom 10-meter (33-ft.) "PJ Multi" cable that is supplied with the unit.

This suggests that the HS20 would have an SVIDEO connector if they kept the connector panel similar from one revision to the next. Still unclear on the digital inputs though.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
When I saw it at CEDIA it had both an HDMI input and a DVI input. The HDMI has a smaller connector, but should work with an HDMI/DVI adapter. From what I've read HDMI is basically a superset of DVI and supports longer cable runs.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
If you are installing a conduit, isn't the point that you can run whatever cabling you need at any time? Just be sure the conduit is big enough to handle multiple cable AND the cable connectors!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
If you are installing a conduit, isn't the point that you can run whatever cabling you need at any time? Just be sure the conduit is big enough to handle multiple cable AND the cable connectors!
Good point. Though I kinda figured that it would be easist to simply install all the cables I might need at once rather than having to snake them through one at a time after the fact. I'll be making a Home Depot trip this Friday and can report back on whatever conduit size is available. I'm shooting for 1.5" - 2" in diameter. Any suggestions beforehand welcome.

I'm a bit confused about whether the HS20 will include a 10 meter multi A/V cable that the HS10 supposedly ships with. There's a vendor affiliated with yahoo shopping who claims to be taking preorders of the HS20 and I've sent a note to sales over there asking a few of these questions as well. If I feel comfortable with the place I'll whip out my CC and order it ASAP. Which basically means that I have *decided* on a FP solution for my living room! :) The only question is do I buy the HS10 now, consider the AE500 in Japan, or buy the HS20 preorder now and hope for a quick delivery. --M

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I think 2" conduit is going to be too small. You might consider going to any local store that sells flat screen computer monitors and measuring the DVI connector first. Then, keep in mind if you do run multiple cables at various times, your conduit diameter is that much smaller for each cable that is already run. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Uther
I think 2" conduit is going to be too small. You might consider going to any local store that sells flat screen computer monitors and measuring the DVI connector first. Then, keep in mind if you do run multiple cables at various times, your conduit diameter is that much smaller for each cable that is already run. Just a suggestion.
I have the following running through a 2" tube:

S-Video,

composite,

1" diam component cable set,

DVI-D,

and multi-cable.

It fits, but the order the cables are run is important. Run the multi-cables and DVI-D first since they have large connectors, then everything except the component set. Run the component set last. The component cables are stiff, they can be pushed and pulled to get them through your tube. There is no way anything else is going in the tube. 3" or 4" conduit would be better.

Gary

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be able to run 3", but I may have to go with two 2" conduits instead. - there's only so much room in the walls and ceiling. I have the idea of duct taping a second tiny conduit (or tube) to the primary and then running a loop of string between the two so I can easily snake cables down the primary conduit by pulling the string, instead of using a traditional metal snake. Seem reasonable?

Quote:
Originally posted by gmshoemaker
I have the following running through a 2" tube:

S-Video,

composite,

1" diam component cable set,

DVI-D,

and multi-cable.

It fits, but the order the cables are run is important. Run the multi-cables and DVI-D first since they have large connectors, then everything except the component set. Run the component set last. The component cables are stiff, they can be pushed and pulled to get them through your tube. There is no way anything else is going in the tube. 3" or 4" conduit would be better.

Gary

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW: for the HS10/20 should I be buying DVI-D cables with single or dual link connectors? Will it matter? Will probably be connecting to both a Bravo D1 and hopefully a new generation STB w/ D* support. Would accept a Samsung T-160 if I must though.

Also, should I bother to take photos of the renovation including, conduit / ceiling mount / projector installation and final completion, in order to document the process for the forum? Should I also offer to display the HS20 for forum members in the Boston area? --M

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmaynardg
Might be able to run 3", but I may have to go with two 2" conduits instead. - there's only so much room in the walls and ceiling. I have the idea of duct taping a second tiny conduit (or tube) to the primary and then running a loop of string between the two so I can easily snake cables down the primary conduit by pulling the string, instead of using a traditional metal snake. Seem reasonable?
2 2" conduits should be fine. If you have a lot of 90degree bends try to go with broad bends. I am not sure what you mean by running a loop of string between the two. You should always leave a string (wire) in your conduit for pulling the one you forgot. In your case, I would have a string in each conduit.

Gary

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
BTW: for the HS10/20 should I be buying DVI-D cables with single or dual link connectors? Will it matter? Will probably be connecting to both a Bravo D1 and hopefully a new generation STB w/ D* support. Would accept a Samsung T-160 if I must though.

Also, should I bother to take photos of the renovation including, conduit / ceiling mount / projector installation and final completion, in order to document the process for the forum? Should I also offer to display the HS20 for forum members in the Boston area? --M
I bought a dual link for my HS10. I don't know if it means anything between the Bravo and pj, but I can say you will have a fantastic picture. Go with the dual link for the HS20 and you might consider the new HDMI (?) cable as well. It is supposed to be better at longer runs. Maybe someone else can chime in here, I am getting beyond my experience and knowledge here.

Photos? Yes. You will find them to be invaluable when it is your turn to help the next guy following behind you that needs help. :)

Gary

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I just ran a 3" conduit with a rounded curve for my most likley projector location. I ran a second 2" for a short throw option.

One way to save some cash is to buy 2" PVC for a central vacuum for your straight runs and then buy 2" pvc electrical conduit for the curves. Worked perfectly for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your replies! Three more questions:

1) pacificcable limits their DVI-D length to 5 meters. Other places, like vinc (many others) sell in lengths up to 10 meters. Still other places offer DVI repeaters and/or very expensive optical DVI links. I'll need base 20' to get from my floor, up through the wall and across the ceiling. I would like (but it isn't necessary) to run a 30' DVI line to a second HDTV in another room. Anyone have problems with 10 meter DVI-D runs? Recomendations on cable suppliers and limits on cable length?

2) HDMI to DVI converters. At least one guy who says he saw a prelim HS20 said that it has both DVI and HDMI inputs. Don't know if they're selectable, or really anything about it. However, it might be useful to have an HDMI converter to DVI and to run two DVI cables to the PJ. Say one for the STB and another for a Bravo D1. Google hasn't enlightened me as to who may sell such a beast. Suggestions?

3) And what about a cheap alternative to buying a new DD5.1/6.1 home theater receiver with multiple optical inputs? I have a low end Cambridge Soundworks system with a single optical and single coax input. Am I looking at plunking down $500-$600 for a new receiver/amplifier with multiple inputs to solve this problem? What about a switchbox? Doable? And is it worth the trouble?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks! :)

--M

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,236 Posts
I'm using a 10 meter DVI cable from my Bravo D1 to the HS10 and the picture quality is drop dead gorgeous, no problems at all.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WynsWrld98
I'm using a 10 meter DVI cable from my Bravo D1 to the HS10 and the picture quality is drop dead gorgeous, no problems at all.
Same here. The limits to cable length may have something to do with which devices are connected. Bravo -> 10 meter DVI-D cable -> HS10 works.

As to the other questions, I don't know. I do have a 3 year old Yamaha RX-V1000 AV receiver that has audio optical on all inputs. Something like this should be available in Maynard's price range.

Gary

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
You only need the single link DVI cable.

There are plenty of good receiver or pre/pro combos out there with enough inputs. What we don't have yet is DVI switching built in, or HDMI for that matter. Starting to come out in the high end, "flagship" models, but it's going to take another round of product releases for it to filter down to more modest units. I got a Denon 3803 for home setup, the 2803 is in the range you mentioned and may fit the bill. Check in the receiver/smp section here for more ideas.

If you're interested in having an HS10/HS20 "shootout" once you get it set up, let me know and I can bring my HS10 over. On second thought, that might be too risky for my bank account. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh oh. I'm starting to rethink the HS20 due to throw considerations. My room is 10.5' by 14.5' I want at least a 96"x57" screen on the far 10.5 wall. The HS10 (am assuming the HS20 is the same) will *just* squeak into this but I'll have to cram the pj right up to the end of the wall. Let's see, the pj is 14" long, I'll need a bit of room for cables and such, which might leave me with 13' - 13.5' throw. Looks like I'll make it but it will be on the short side of the zoom.

Hmmmm the Panny AE-500 is now showing up well below $2K at that island site which cannot be named and will be available well *before* the HS20. It seems to have a somewhat shorter throw and if it does 1x1 pixel mapping there would be no scaling artifacts at 720p. Wonder how much of a difference that 1400 HS20 vs. 800 AE-500 lumens really makes.

I do think I would prefer the HS20 though - it's more expensive but it may wind up being a better value in terms of image quality and brightness. Just want to make sure there are no show stopper technical issues which might prevent utilization. Grrrrrr. I hate these sorts of decisions...

Thanks for all the replies and help! --M

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Uh oh. I'm starting to rethink the HS20 due to throw considerations. My room is 10.5' by 14.5' I want at least a 96"x57" screen on the far 10.5 wall.

You will have to decide if the HS20 (brighter, larger lcd panel, iris, HDMI & DVI and long throw) is worth the extra $1k difference (at street prices). If you have ambient light and want a big HDTV picture, it might be worth the difference.

Assuming you go with the HS20, you may want to scale back your screen size to 91 x 51, 103 diagonal to give yourself some lens adjustment. You could get the pj and use it on a white wall to determine just how big of a screen will work for you. Also remember, the bigger the screen the fewer lumens per square foot.

Gary

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,236 Posts
I own an HS10 and have found the remote controlled power zoom to be very helpful. I don't believe many, if any, of the HS10/HS20 competing projectors offer this feature.

The remote controllable power focus is also really helpful for setup, especially for a situation like mine where the projector is behind a wall shining through a small hole on the wall with glass over it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.