AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am currently a new owner of Sony HS20 and just would like to check whether or not my current misconvergence is within acceptable levels. I currently see one layer of pixel that is color green on the outer edge, and a reddish/magenta tint on the inner edge from top to bottom and left to right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A single pixel shift is pretty normal with this PJ. Do you see the same shift across the entire screen ? - It would indicate panel misalignment.

Chromatic abberation caused by the lens may accentuate color fringe at the edges.

There is a poll on misaligned panels and I think the statistics peak around 1 pixel.

I experience almost the same shift you describe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the same shift across all the screen. Given that it is just one pixel shift, I assume that this is within acceptable levels. The store that I bought my unit from is accepting an exchange and I do not want to take the risk of returning it and getting a worse unit if my current unit is within acceptable levels.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Same question for me. I just go my projector the other day! :)

I have 2 green pixels down the right side, one along the top. Bottom and left side seem dead on. Can't really notice it at all when viewing material from 1.5x width of screen.

Here is a bad picture of the right side:
www.30th-ta.org/hometheater/converg.jpg

Is the best way to look for this, just bring up the black focus screen with the 12 or so cross-hatches? and look...

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Put on the focus or side-shot screens for getting a reference on the misalignments. A single pixel shift should not bother you from normal viewing distances.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Fixed the link in the post above.

I think I am gonna keep my projector anyway. Doesn't seem to be a bother and I see NO dead pixels or color uniformity problems.

Hmph...

You'd think for $2500 - $3500 they'd get this right though! :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mac The Knife
Even $12K, 3 chip LCOS pjs have alignment problems. Think of it as the price you have to pay to avoid rainbows.
Sony has APA technology. Why isn't it in the HS20? Most of their PJs have it??? And, they certainly are less than 5k.

---------

APA (Auto Pixel Alignment) - Just press the APA key and innovative Sony technology detects the signal and automatically adjusts the pixel alignment for optimum image quality.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Actually there is a APA button on the HS20 Cineza. I think it is only available with a computer input and I do not know if it will correct this issue....

·
Registered
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R_Willis
Actually there is a APA button on the HS20 Cineza. I think it is only available with a computer input and I do not know if it will correct this issue....
Others on the forum have noted that the HS20 LCD Panels are glued to the base. How then can an APA function work? Alignment, AFAIK, works by exact color overlay; if the panels are glued then it's impossible, w/o the use of mirrors or other mechanical means, to "move" their image- esp. in 1 pixel increments, necessary to resolve the majority of problems. I bet it's working via interpolation to a lower resolution, i.e., loosing pixels off native rez.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
RE: APA

I haven't noticed any difference in pixel alignment and I regularly have my HS20 set to "computer DVI" w/ APA on and my 3510 outputting 720p. However, it should be noted that I haven't looked closely.

I will look closer tonight, but I don't think the APA function does what you think it does. I'd look it up in the manual, but I'm not at home.

·
Registered
27 Posts
did these calculations for another HS 20 thread in November. "The HS20 data sheet says that the LCD is 0.9" and 1368x768 pixel. If we assume the .9" is diagonal this results in a pixel approximately 0.00056" by 0.00056". Therefore a pixel alignment error of 1 pixel is a mechanical error of less than 56/100,000"! Now what is a 1 pixel error on a 92" diagonal screen? 92/0.9=102.2 0.00056x102.2=0.056". That is an error of 56/1000". I have one pixel error on the extreme left and one on the extreme left. I have 20/20 vision and must get to within 5 feet to see the pixel. Put up the focus or zoom grid and sit in your normal seating and see if you can see it. I can't.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't have a HS20, but APA on another Sony I have access too just adjusts the pixel clock, horizontal and vertical positions for computer signals. I think it is necessary because computer outputs can vary so much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.