Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HS20.

I have read Tyrg's gain review and screen review. I can see and appreciate the differences based on the pictures taken and the comments.

- I plan on a 133" viewing diagonal

- 3 rows of seating starting at about 14' ending at about 24' (eye distance from viewing area).

- completely light controlled (3 ceiling lights, evenly disbursed/spaced down the center of the ceiling - with a dimmer).

I really still don't have any idea what I want to do. Furthermore, I don't want to shell out cash for something that I may or may not be happy with.

As for the paints, I keep reading that people are painting with this colour or that colour. But, what I always hear is that they are painting some type of screen. What I would like to know is if anyone has/is painting their wall with these paints/colours? I have a big, bare wall at the end of the room. I would be open to simply painting that wall with one of the colours, but everyone is talking about screens so maybe my question is a silly one and already covered.

I just don't want to shell out $1000US for something and not be happy with it. I would like to try painting my whole wall with a paint to start formulating my own subjective opinion about my environment and what I like and don't like.

What am I missing here?

Calvin

·
Registered
5,652 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
I'm shooting my HS-10 on to a light gray painted wall and it looks fine. My wall is actually an old textured plaster wall, but you can't tell that when you are watching the projector.

I would suggest painting the wall in the spectrum from white to gray (flat sheen). Just shoot the projector on the wall, mask off the screen edges and paint.

Then you can request some screen samples, hang them on the wall, and compare to see if you think it is worth buying a commercial screen.

You could also consider some screen paint such as goo ( www.goosystems.com ) or liquiscreen ( www.liquiscreen.com ).

FYI - liquidscreen has been criticized on here in the past for poor customer service.

I've compared some screen samples to my gray wall, and for $9.00 for a quart of paint it compares favorably. Some of the screen samples do give the projected image a depth that the paint does not. The matte white screens, however look (almost) identical to a white painted wall.

When you are comparing remember that your eyes will adjust to an entire screen of the material so that differences in brightness that look fairly drastic with two side by side samples won't be nearly as noticeable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.