AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Projector Central website....using the Sony HS10....which I assume will be the same for the HS20.....the range for a 86-inch 16x9 screen is 10.5 feet thru 13.3 feet.

What are the benefits of being smack dab in the middle of the range ?

Would someone with 10.5 feet of throw distance be able to show a good picture at an 86-inch 16x9 diagonal....even though he is at the low end of the range ?

Will this example set-up be better served with a smaller screen ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a HS-10 about 10.5" from the screen and I get a very nice 84" image zoomed all the way out. Just zoom in if you want it smaller, but I'm completely happy with the larger size. I actually wish I could get another foot or 18 inches.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by digidyl
I have a HS-10 about 10.5" from the screen and I get a very nice 84" image zoomed all the way out. Just zoom in if you want it smaller, but I'm completely happy with the larger size. I actually wish I could get another foot or 18 inches.
It doesn't have to be in the middle of the range, but I prefer a little bit of adjustment to overscan onto my black frame. You don't need much adjustment if you wish to do this. I am not disagreeing with you. It is my preference, and your recommendation is fine if he don't wish to do that. I have mine positioned close to the middle of the range. Only because that is the way I planned it for my one and only place to mount the HS10.

I think everyone wishes they had made their screen one size bigger. :)

Gary

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I am reading this right.....according to digidyl....at a 10.5 foot throw distance my max is about an 84-inch 16x9 diagonal....so the projector central calculator of 86-inches is a slight overestimate ?

Will the HS20 have the same throw distance as the HS10 ? Or maybe a shorter throw distance ?

Will a short throw lens make a significant difference at 10.5 feet.....it turns an 84-inch 16x9 diagonal into what ?- inch 16x9 diagonal....and does it take anything away from picture resolution ?

And Gary.....when having the lens maxed out....do I affect any performance issues....i.e. picture resolution....bulb life...etc.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Archangel
... And Gary.....when having the lens maxed out....do I affect any performance issues....i.e. picture resolution....bulb life...etc.
I used the projectorcentral calculator, it seemed to work for me, but I am not on the edge of its calculation. btw, I bought my pj first and then determined my screen size based on what I liked and where the pj could go on my ceiling. I came up with 100" at 12ft seating distance, 13.5 throw.

I haven't seen anything on the HS20 throw distance. Someone commented that the lens characteristics seemed unchanged. I don't know.

Moving the lens shouldn't effect anything but the size of your image.

I don't know anything about what the short throw lens does as far as throw distance. Sorry.

Why are you limited to a 10.5 ft throw? What size screen would you like? Seating distance? Type of viewing? Maybe we can come up with some ideas for you.

Gary

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
Hey guys, I live in a studio apt. and 11 feet is about the max. distance I can get. 84"... 86"...???? Is that feasible? I am VERY excited about the new HS20... I like the HS10, and I saw that at the Sony Style showroom in manhattan with NO light control and it STILL looked pretty good. Since the 20 is suppossed to be better, I'm very excited. Any screen reccomendations for my situation, guys...?

Thanx in advance! Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
I understand that the HS10 short throw lens is going to work with the HS20. The short throw will enable you to use a 16:9 52x92 screen. Since the b=stock lens is still available at bpcvalue.com at $250 it is worth the investment. I have one and it works great at my 10.5 viewing distance on my 52x92 screen. If it does work you can sell on e-bay and make a profit since the original price of the lens was $1500.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by astargazer
I understand that the HS10 short throw lens is going to work with the HS20. The short throw will enable you to use a 16:9 52x92 screen. Since the b=stock lens is still available at bpcvalue.com at $250 it is worth the investment. I have one and it works great at my 10.5 viewing distance on my 52x92 screen. If it does work you can sell on e-bay and make a profit since the original price of the lens was $1500.
Great! Someone who has experience. What is the throw distance (screen to projector lens) for this size screen (107" diagonal) using the short throw lens? You are close to the 1.5 x screen width factor for seating distance at 10.5ft. Do you see screendoor?

I have an HS10 with 100" fixed screen and don't need a short throw lens. I am just curious.

Gary

·
Registered
76 Posts
Throw distance, projector lens to screen surface is 10.5 feet. Eyeball to screen is 10.3 feet. No screen door. Went with the HS-10 + lens as it was the only one that would give me full viewing on the 52x92 screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.