AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not trying to restart the debate of LCD vs DLP. However, I really am curious to know if there are any HS20 owners who actually previewed some of the top DLP projectors before choosing to go with the HS20.

Currently, I own a PLV-60 and am ready to upgrade, as I am tired of watching movies and being distracted by either screen door, grayish blacks, or a green push. I would love to watch a movie and just simply WATCH the movie, without being distracted.

Recently, I saw a post from a well respected forum member who said he is finally watching movies and not noticing issues...he owns the HT1000. Now that sounds like heaven. I realize that what is heaven for him may not be heaven for me...but I still pose the question:

How many HS20 owners chose the HS20 over a HT1000, or a LT240k, or a InFocus 5700 (or similar "HOT" DLP) after seeing both projectors in action, and WHY???

And vice verse, how many DLP owners previewed the HS20 and chose a DLP and WHY?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
There are various reasons people choose a particular projector-cost, throw-distance, fear of rainbows, fear of screendoor etc etc etc. Any comments about the quality of a LCD HT projector have to have an asterisk next to it that says "for a LCD projector". For example the HS20 is a great projector for an LCD projector. DLP produces a better picture for HT hands down in any light controlled environment. Even the worst HD2 projector will easily beat any LCD projector. DLP's produce a smoother, richer and less digital looking picture. At close viewing distances LCD technology can be distracting because the picture looks digital. Contrast ratio is the holy grail for HT projectors and although LCD projectors are vastly improved and definitely very usable they cannot keep pace with DLP in this very important area. If you could buy a HD2 DLP for between 2-3K LCD HT projectors would have no reason for being except for people who are sensitive to rainbows.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I chose the HS-20 over DLP units because it offers a high quality picture at a price (1/2 to 1/3 of good DLP's) that will allow me to upgrade to a 3 chip DLP or SXRD when the prices drop. The HS-20 delivers a picture NEARLY as good as DLP units and has higher resolution capability than DLP at this time. Screen door and a 'digital look' is not a factor if you sit more than 10' away from your screen. The only real significant improvement DLP allows is better contrast and black levels, which you can adjust for with a good screen choice.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
jack007,

Single-Chip DLP is not the "holy grail" of picture quality that some on this board would have you believe. I have had several Samsung DLP sets since their introduction in July 2001. Picture quality has come a long way since their introduction BUT, there are still PQ issues (i.e. Dithering, Poor Shadow Detail, etc.).

I also believe the the Sony Grand Wega has made great progress during this timeframe. I believe the PQ of the GWIII is on par with my Samsung DLP. I know it does a better job with SD as well.

I do not know if the PQ characteristics of DLP and LCD rear projection translate to what you would see in a FP unit. I am trying to find this out as well.

P.S. I would not buy anything LCD or DLP that cannot display 720p in it's native resolution. Scaling is ALWAYS a bad thing. That eliminates the IF 5700 and the HT1000 for me. I am seriously looking at the HS20 as a "hold me over" projector until 1080p DLP arrives.

Frank

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Well Said,

My HS20 is a great "hold me over" projector....I ussuallly keep my projectors (all sony thus far) around 3 years and then upgrade at that time. And YES, DLP does look more film-like, but not by a huge margin. When you watch a DVHS on the HS20, you forget about PQ 'cause it's so dam good. PLUS, i'm really sensitive to rainbows, so that is out for me until DLP lowers their 3 chipers down to a descent price. In essence, the HS20 will make you want to watch all of your movies over again! Plus, this projector is brighter than most DLP's out there right now (atleast the lower end ones).

As far as scaling, unless you are the pickiest of the pickers on video, you don't notice at thing, especially the 1080i DVHS source....no jaggies are other anomalies that I can see. Even DVI through DVD at 480P looks clean. Thats it!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Why not consider the Sanyo Z2 or Panny 500 - they are significantly less expensive. Is the HS20 that much better?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I can't speak for the Panny 500 and the Sanyo Z2, but from my experience having 3 projectors and paying thousands more than today, the HS20 delivers a good price/performance ratio. Im sure that the Panny and Sanyo have a nice picture, but the kicker for me was the resolution. Higher resolution will resolve better details on HD, especailly my DVHS collection. Another issue, which for me is not a biggie, is computer usage on the HS20. Thats all for now....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was looking at the Sharp 10k. Wonderful picture, great blacks, very bright. Sony HS20 picture "almost" as good but in my room (not perfect light control) but the additional 10k contrast was not worth tripling the price.

HS20 convergence (or lens aberrations) not as perfect as 10K but Sony has 3 chips to align. HS20 is out by about 1.5 pixels at screen edge but makes no difference on standard def sources (like DVD). Sony still manages to pass the "looking out a window" test on HD satellite (incredible on football!).

Sony seems just as bright as the 10k but this is subjective since I did not see them side-by-side.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Why not consider the Sanyo Z2 or Panny 500
Mit07,

(IF) I get the HS20, and it is looking that way at the moment it is because of two reasons. 1) I want a bright punchy picture so, I need the lumens / contrast numbers that the HS20 provides. 2) Two digital inputs (DVI / HDMI).

P.S. I also believe that when 3-chip or 1080p DLP projectors come out, it will be easier to unload a $3000.00 projector than a $8000.00 one.

Frank

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
"Im sure that the Panny and Sanyo have a nice picture, but the kicker for me was the resolution. (Compared to the HS20)"

HS20's rez is a gimicy rez that is imo an insignificant difference to the 720p models mentioned. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by velvetpoet
A few have chosen the hs20 simply because of less apparent VB then the z2 and ae500

Also, I have seen many threads of dust blob issues on the Z2... from the threads I read, just about all of the Z2's suffer from it. I don't want to crack open a multi-thousand-dollar machine every couple of weeks to clean it... I just want to enjoy it :)!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
HS20's rez is a gimicy rez that is imo an insignificant difference to the 720p models mentioned. I could be wrong.
With 720p there may not be a significant difference. But I think for 1080i, which currently is the bulk of HD programming, the extra resolution of the Sony is apparent ( to my eyes).
Quote:
Higher resolution will resolve better details on HD, especailly my DVHS collection.
KBMAN, I just picked up a JVC 30k. for my HS20. Any suggestions on which titles to start with?

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Client 1,

Of course there are two considerations when choosing a movie; sound and PQ With these two aspects I have choosen the following...

XMEN....Great Sound and Really Great PQ/transfer

ICE AGE....you have to see and hear this Animated delight!

THE HAUNTING....mainly for sound....it's incredible. Also a great transfer, ie no graininess or EE

U-571.....A MUST have for both sound and PQ

GALAXY QUEST....for those sci-fi geeks out there (Like me) it sounds and looks really good.

Other Titles,

Die Hard...almost no grain at all....was really suprised

Alien....the sound is a bit dated (to be expected) but the picture looks amazing...almost as good as a current movie!

X2....have yet to get this one...I'm sure it's as good or better than the first one!

There are others, but I haven't received them yet....I hope this helps!

The only downside to getting the 30,000 is that it won't pass the DTS track on some of the newer releases. Too bad, but I'm not really an audio geek (just a video geek :) and I probably won't hear much of a difference. Widescreen Review always says that it has (DTS) more refined midrange and a more solid bottom end. Thats it....enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.