AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HS51 has developed what I can only describe as a "blue corner". The lower right corner is more intensely blue than the rest of the image, which still looks fine. This started about 2 weeks ago as a small spot on the left edge in the middle (top to bottom) of the image. It has evolved and changed and now covers a triangular section of the lower right corner. I thought it was probably the bulb, which has about 1.5K hours on it. I ordered a new bulb and I just installed it. The blue corner is still there.

I know projectors used to get "dust blobs". Is it possible that a dust-blob is causing this problem? If so, how do I clean it out? I replaced the filter at the same time I replaced the bulb. The old filter didn't look too bad and it only had about 600 hours on it. I've replaced the filter every 1K hours as recommended.

My projector has a total of about 3.8K hours on it. Is it possible that an LCD panel is bad?

Any thoughts? TIA.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
I could be your polarizer plate.

One question- at 1500 hrs did the lamp look dim compared to the new one?

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really. The old lamp still looked fairly bright. Can I clean the polarizer plate?

Thanks.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
My undersatnding is that they (if more than one of them) need to be replaced and it has to be done by tech level skills. If you like your PJ and like to keep it call Sony and find out how much in order to decide what to do about it. I am assuming it is no longer under warranty.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How likely is it that this is the problem? Are there other possibilities?

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
My understanding is that once there is color cast Sony with replace the whole panel/prism assembly. I hope someone with such experience would elaborate. Good luck.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does my description of the problem sound like the polarizer plate is bad? Does anyone know the cost of repairs and the turnaround time?

Craig

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Definitely blue polarizer problem. Open it up to confirm if out of warranty. If in warranty get it fixed.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey /forum/post/0

Definitely blue polarizer problem. Open it up to confirm if out of warranty. If in warranty get it fixed.

It's out of warranty. If I open the unit, what would I look for to "confirm" the blue polarizer problem? Also, any idea on cost of repair? Thanks.

Craig

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know the cost of this repair? I've e-mailed Sony, but no response yet.

Thanks,

Craig

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the unit down and ready to open. Does anyone know what to look for to confirm the blue polarizer problem? Are there any tricks I should know about opening (and re-closing) the unit?

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Just look at the panels and look for heat damage which is discoloration.

Also you are better off to call Sony rather than email.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have their phone #. I couldn't find it on the website.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
Have you tried 800-222-sony?

Do a search on hs50 here. I believe I read a direct no and person name but can't recall.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That # is their Tech Support #. I didn't call it because I figured they would just refer me to the Service and Repair folks.

I have received a confirmation e-mail from Sony. It says they'll send an estimate. I think I'll wait for that before I try opening the unit myself. Thanks for all your help.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
When I called last year regarding my pre amp I got their tech person and we spolke about the issue. Then he gave me # to reach a higher level tech and consequently a tech center.

But wait & see what the email will say.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From the Sony Service e-mail:
Quote:
Based upon the information you entered, your unit appears to be out-of warranty. A parts and labor quote will be provided to you once we receive your unit. A diagnostic fee of $26.00 will be charged. If you accept the repair quote, the diagnostic fee of $26.00 will be applied to your final repair charge.

Hmmm.... so I guess I need to send the unit in to them before I get an estimate. I would really like to have some idea how much this is gonna cost *before* I send it in to them. I'll ask again,
has anyone encountered this blue polarizer problem and does anyone have any idea what it takes ($$$) to repair it? If it is prohibitively expensive to repair, (and anything over about 35% of the cost of a new unit, I would find prohibitively expensive), I would consider replacing/upgrading it. If it's only $100 to $200, I would repair it and wait for even better, less expensive technology down the road.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
If I recall correctly reading somewhere it is going to be about $600. But better wait for some one who knows for sure. But we don't know if it is the plates for sure either. Tough situation.

· Banned
15,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I sent the pj in to Laredo. It cost me $86 to ship it UPS Ground and that was with a "Sony" discount on the packaging. It won't get there until next Tuesday, but I'll let everyone know what transpires. Thanks for your help.

Craig

· Registered
5,868 Posts
$86 for ground is insaine for a box that is about $15lbs. I shipped a screen about 40 lbs to DC for about the same via FedEx.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.