AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to evaluate a Sony HS51 in my home last night. I was not expecting such a gorgeous image. That 3LCD with 12 bit processing gives such a continuous tone artifact free image. The continuous gray ramp on DVE is absolutely flawless and it shows up in real video as increased depth and definition. No 1 chip DLP I've seen can touch this. Just have to be 1.5X+ screenwidths back to eliminate SDE.

The Auto Iris works very well and I was never aware of its operation on any of the DVD's or HD material we viewed. Just very nice blacks on both my 92" WidePower InstaTheater and my 106" HighPower. I believe we were getting 11-17 foot lamberts from various seeting positions. (off the HP)

It was plenty bright with a little ambient and really cam alive as the lights came down further.

Colors were pleasantly saturated and accurate.

The sources were Denon 3910, TWC HD, and a CS-2 Scaler.

My two favorite inputs on the HS10 were the Component and HDMI. The Component was probably more accurately filtered, but I may have preferred the slightly sharper look of the HDMI. I'd have to watch more material to decide.

Being a DLP guy, I can say the viewing experience is indeed more relaxing.

This projector should be on anybody's short list at this price. (Much much better than the $3k H77 I viewed for instance)

Ken

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ken,

The H77 is on my very short list. I'm holding off for a few weeks until after CEDIA. So the HS51 is that much better, eh? I'm going to have to check this out now. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KramerTC,

I'm going to wait for Cedia as well. I'm going, so I'll check out everything I can. Right now, this Sony and the Canon SX50 are my top two contenders. I haven't been able to evaluate the SX50 in a reasonable environment.

If I was going to do DLP, I'd either do $1600 or less (ie 4805, MovieTime, etc) or $6k or above (ie H79). (I haven't seen the H79 but you have to believe if Guy Kuo and Darin P like it...) I did view a iVision DLP ($12k) that was as nice as the HS51's image.

Too many pluses and minuses and varying environments and differing priorities to address in a little post.

I may very well end up with the Hs51, because I'm expecting anything better at Cedia to be too $$$.

Ken

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I tried the Sharp DT-300 and while I liked it, I didn't think it would keep me satisfied for 2-3 years (that's how long I'd like to stay with my purchase) which would rule out the 480P DLP projectors.

My two concerns about the HS51 are:

- SDE, I will need to look carefully for this. I was sensitive to SDE on the matterhorn at approx 1.8x screen width.

- 1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI. I'm very happy with a Pioneer 59avi and would like to use in 720P mode and forget any other scaling involved.

I'm curious to see what the Sanyo Z4 will bring and also a replacement for the Panasonic AE700 (although there haven't any rumors so maybe the replacement isn't being announced at CEDIA yet).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.