AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I was wondering if anyone out there had a chance to compare the HB-1 Horn Bookshelf Speaker to the athena AS-B2's or compare the HB-1's to any other bookshelf speakers, and also how would they stand up to some of the floor standing speakers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson12 /forum/post/0


Hi all I was wondering if anyone out there had a chance to compare the HB-1 Horn Bookshelf Speaker to the athena AS-B2's or compare the HB-1's to any other bookshelf speakers, and also how would they stand up to some of the floor standing speakers?

Are you asking how they compare with a sub or without? And are you asking how they compare for HT, music or both?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCak3 /forum/post/0


might i suggest making a clearer thread title?


the OP is far from what I would consider the start of a general "owner's thread"

I thought with this title people that own HSU and people interested in HSU would read and post here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
I just spent some time with the HB-1s in my room and as I could find no reviews, so here is one. I won't go into excruciating detail because my conclusions are pretty clear. FYI: I broke it in for about ten hours before listening.


The speaker has a pronounced nasality to it that I find unpleasant. I have a few sets of speakers around to compare it to, and none of them exhibit this in the same room. Some are inexpensive units. Also, it lacks some high-level detail and imaging cues, which might be related to the horn tweeter design.


On the other hand it can play absurdly loud in my 12x14 room with modest power, and it is incredibly inexpensive and seems well made. There you have it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Alchemist /forum/post/0


I just spent some time with the HB-1s in my room and as I could find no reviews, so here is one. I won't go into excruciating detail because my conclusions are pretty clear. FYI: I broke it in for about ten hours before listening.


The speaker has a pronounced nasality to it that I find unpleasant. I have a few sets of speakers around to compare it to, and none of them exhibit this in the same room. Some are inexpensive units. Also, it lacks some high-level detail and imaging cues, which might be related to the horn tweeter design.


On the other hand it can play absurdly loud in my 12x14 room with modest power, and it is incredibly inexpensive and seems well made. There you have it.

Well, an honest review is better than no review. Hard to imagine anyone wanting to buy the HB-1 speakers now. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
You may want to read the latest (March '07) issue of Home Theater magazine which says the HB-1's, with a sub from Hsu, ar ehte best thing going in their price range and outperform many systems that cost subtantially more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn /forum/post/0


You may want to read the latest (March '07) issue of Home Theater magazine which says the HB-1's, with a sub from Hsu, ar ehte best thing going in their price range and outperform many systems that cost subtantially more.

Yes, but when you read that review take a look at the frequency response measurements. There is a nice bump in the 1k-2kHz range that probably accounts for the "nasality", and some pretty big dips in the high freq range.


HSU makes good subs... but that doesn't mean they make good speakers.


I also agree the OP's title to this thread is misleading.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn /forum/post/0


ar ehte best thing going in their price range and outperform many systems that cost subtantially more.

Where have I heard that before? I tried a set at home and felt that they offered a lot for the money. However, I agree with Mr. Alchemist that they have a pronounced nasality that I would describe as a "pinched" quality in the upper midrange that I found distracting. As inexpensive home theater speakers, I think they're great. They play loud with little power, mate well with a sub, and the nasality is not that bothersome watching movies. For a mixed (music and movies) system, though, I'd look elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglynn /forum/post/0


You may want to read the latest (March '07) issue of Home Theater magazine which says the HB-1's, with a sub from Hsu, ar ehte best thing going in their price range and outperform many systems that cost subtantially more.

Isn't that the review people write about ANYTHING? At least when they give the old "outperforms many systems that cost substantially more" line, they should maybe name some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson12 /forum/post/0


Hi all I was wondering if anyone out there had a chance to compare the HB-1 Horn Bookshelf Speaker to the athena AS-B2's or compare the HB-1's to any other bookshelf speakers, and also how would they stand up to some of the floor standing speakers?

Please change the title of this thread to "HB-1 or AS-B2 bookshelf speakers?"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time /forum/post/0


Hard to imagine anyone wanting to buy the HB-1 speakers now. Thanks


Yes hopefully avs makes this review a sticky to warn everyone to stay away from HSU products.



FYI Dr Hsu has one of the best ears in all of Audio so take amature reviews with a grain of salt.


Pro reviews are raving about it - just go to the HSU website and read for yourself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts
Also - if a speaker has a pronounced nasality, don't forget the possibility that it could be a bad unit; as I would assume Dr. Hsu would have designed for a mostly even freq response in that range.


That said, there are some good options for speakers in this price range. I haven't heard either the Hsu speakers or the Athenas, so I can't comment.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdekany /forum/post/0


Yes hopefully avs makes this review a sticky to warn everyone to stay away from HSU products.



FYI Dr Hsu has one of the best ears in all of Audio so take amature reviews with a grain of salt.


Pro reviews are raving about it - just go to the HSU website and read for yourself.

Those "reviews" on the Hsu website are not reviews at all but comments made at a hifi show. Not the best venue to judge speakers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 /forum/post/0


Also - if a speaker has a pronounced nasality, don't forget the possibility that it could be a bad unit; as I would assume Dr. Hsu would have designed for a mostly even freq response in that range.


That said, there are some good options for speakers in this price range. I haven't heard either the Hsu speakers or the Athenas, so I can't comment.

Both of those I had to audition sounded the same so I doubt this was the case. It could certainly be the case of not being accustomed to that type of sound, but I decided I didn't want to get accustomed. YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeno /forum/post/0


Both of those I had to audition sounded the same so I doubt this was the case. It could certainly be the case of not being accustomed to that type of sound, but I decided I didn't want to get accustomed. YMMV.

Cool, just thought I'd bring up the possibility. Just in case.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top