AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BASH amp is kaput in this thing. Anyone ever had any luck diagnosing and repairing one of these amps?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
All the amps are fairly similar. You probably need the service manual because it gives the details of the circuits. A few individuals have fixed theirs without a service manual. You need a volt/ohm meter and a soldering gun (along with the device that allows you to suck up the melted solder).

The main electrolytic capacitor is the first thing to look at. They deteriorate with heat and age. Also any blackened device should be replaced along with the devices on each side of it (if they test poorly).

That stated, I decided to get a PE 500w BASH amp and just replace the existing amp that I had on a 15" subwoofer. A difficulty is getting plate amps that are almost the same size as the the existing plate amp.

The PE BASH amps are on sale until December 31.

Addendum: Quick repair. I told my son to glue 2"x4"s in a rectangular shape to the back of the subwoofer. After lengthening the wires that went from the amp to the driver, he merely screwed the amp to the 2"x4"s.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I saw the sale on the PE amps. Very tempting. The caps were the first thing I looked at. They are fine. Pat that I'm pretty lost. Emailed HSU asking for a price on a replacement. If it's the same price as the PE then it's just a matter of swapping. Not looking forward to having to try and make a new amp fit.

·
Registered
566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19522448

Ya I saw the sale on the PE amps. Very tempting. The caps were the first thing I looked at. They are fine. Pat that I'm pretty lost. Emailed HSU asking for a price on a replacement. If it's the same price as the PE then it's just a matter of swapping. Not looking forward to having to try and make a new amp fit.

You could call also. Pete's usually on top of this stuff.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften /forum/post/19523276

You could call also. Pete's usually on top of this stuff.

Got a reply back. New amp $150. Ouch! I realize he's in business to make a profit but that's a bit steep for what you get. I think I'll grab one of the PE 300W BASH amps for $99 and modify it to fit. 2/3 the price and double the power.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool /forum/post/19526040

Got a reply back. New amp $150. Ouch! I realize he's in business to make a profit but that's a bit steep for what you get. I think I'll grab one of the PE 300W BASH amps for $99 and modify it to fit. 2/3 the price and double the power.

flyng_fool - sent you a PM - thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.