AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've read through hundreds of posts on this forum and am trying to finalize my first ever sub purchase and have narrowed it down to the STF-2 and the A2-300, which appear to be the best possible subs for $350.

1. Budget: I think $350 should be good...

2. Size: A2-300 size is feasible (18"x18"x21.5")

3. Room: 12x14x8, so 1344 cubic feet. It is a loft though, so one wall is a half wall, open to the foyer and 1st floor (sub will almost certainly be on the opposite wall in the corner)

4. 60% HT/TV, 20% Music, 20% Gaming

5. I really don't ever listen to music LOUD. Mainly low to moderate levels

6. I'm fine with both he STF-2 and A2-300 on appearance...

7. Timeframe - I could wait for an A2-300 if it's really a vastly better sub for my application...

My real questions/concerns:

1. Is the extension down to 18 Hz really worth it for the A2-300? Am I REALLY going to notice that a LOT?

2. A bit in relation to #1, does my room size, being on the smaller side, have an affect on extension? And derivative to that, would the STF-2's extension (25 Hz) benefit from the room size?

3. Could my room size actually make use of the A2-300 a bit more...complicated?

4. I'm in a townhome and I have neighbors. I don't want to piss them off. I almost NEVER hear them (although I have heard their dog barking once or twice through the wall). I'd like to continue to return this courtesy so that they not hear me, or hear me as little as possible. My couch will likely be on the shared wall, and the sub will be on the opposite wall in the corner (side note, I will likely get a Gramma, but would have to get a Great Gramma for an A2-300, which at that point, 30x19 is getting a good bit awkward)...

Other components: Denon 2310 receiver and 5 Energy RC-10.

Thanks!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
In an apartment, low frequency extension isn't going to be doing your neighbors any favors. Long waves are what penetrates walls, and the longer the wave, the easier it can be heard on the other side. A gramma will help absorb the mechanical energy produced by the sub enclosure, but it won't help with the sound at all.

If I were you, after I receive the sub, I would get in contact with the neighbors and use some test tones with them too see what sounds may end up being a potential nuisance. You might consider just going with a Hsu STF1 or a ED A2-250.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm leaning towards the STF-2, since it's only $20 more and extends down to 25 Hz...which admittedly may not help to keep the neighbors from hearing it. But since I've only heard their dog a few times I think the insulation between units is pretty decent. There's only one way to find out for sure!

I'll have to test with them a bit to see what they can and can't hear, and try and adjust the night time mode on the Denon so it's quiet enough they don't hear it...at least at night.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The STF2 is a terrific sub, I used to have one. I was sorry to sell it, but I needed the money.

One thing is important for the sub is placement. Put the sub in the right spot and it will rock with the volume knob just a third of the way up, but place it poorly and you you just barely be able to hear it, even at full volume. But you better believe your neighbors will hear it! Consult Hsu for the best place for a sub, you can call em up or email them, or you can use their placement forum for advice. It is hugely important for getting the most out of your sub!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont' know if your'e still watching this thread a month from when you posted, but let me tell you that the 18 Hz extension is definitely noticeable. I have two 12" kicker L7's hooked up to 1000W in my car and I've never heard anything that sounds as deep as the a2-300. I mean it's a totally different kind of bass that just sounds soo good. I've played 20 Hz test tones in my car, but the a2-300 properly placed sounds really, really good. You'll really hear the rumble when you watch movies and sometimes i'm startled by the deepness of the sound since it is just so... deep... for lack of a better word.

One thing i Will say is that it is kinda touchy to placement. It may just be my awkwardly shaped studio apartment, but it took me about 3 weeks to really find the right place. Some places you can really notice that the sound is coming from the sub (directionally) or that it's really resonant and boomy in others, but i found that at my place a 45 degree angle about 4 feet from the corner and 12 feet from my listening pos was best FOR ME. Not that it matters to you, but it's freq response is totally different in different places.

btw i've never heard the STF2. i'm just saying i'm a satisfied customer

oh yeah, it does have a noticeable break-in period where it doesn't get very loud... atleast not cleanly. i remember when i first got it and tried to crank it up it was all distorted and sounded bad, but now like i was saying, it's great!

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I would go with the HSU until ED gets the bugs worked out with their amps. If you go to the ED thread you will see a lot of customers who are having issues with their A2-300's. Both are good companies but I find the failures ED is having right now and the amount of time it has taken them to repair some of those who's subs have failed unacceptable at this time - a few more than once. Hopefully they will get things back on track soon since those who have their subs that work correctly love them. I would also look at Outlaw - subs are very good and in your price range.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
After reading about the eD amplifier issue, I went to the eD thread in this forum. At present, it is not clear that the problem is very large on a proportional basis (or approaches the JBL PB-12 problems of several years ago or of even earlier JBL and Infinity subwoofer amplifiers). The current generation JBL L8400p and ES-series subwoofer amplifiers do not appear to have been experiencing problems. As a company, eD is supposedly very good to deal with. One difficulty with eD is the wait that may be on the order of two months with certain models such as the A2-300.

I am very happy with my Hsu STF-2 which has an effective low end of 25Hz. Some individuals have stated that the STF-2 is more 'musical' than the eD A2-300. It appears that there has been no direct comparisons between the STF-2, A2-300 or some of the lower price models from Outlaw and SVS (that are also highly regarded).

·
Registered
1,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18182338

In an apartment, low frequency extension isn't going to be doing your neighbors any favors. Long waves are what penetrates walls, and the longer the wave, the easier it can be heard on the other side. A gramma will help absorb the mechanical energy produced by the sub enclosure, but it won't help with the sound at all.

If I were you, after I receive the sub, I would get in contact with the neighbors and use some test tones with them too see what sounds may end up being a potential nuisance. You might consider just going with a Hsu STF1 or a ED A2-250.

Man, any kind of bass or even some-what loud music in any apartment is going to either piss off your neighbors or they will hear some vibration wondering where the heck it is coming from, lol. Owning either one of these subs in an apartment is useless and will not be able to use it's full potential w/o upsetting or getting complaints from the neighbors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts