AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it seems pretty overwhelming that SVS and Hsu are two highly recommended subs on this forum. I am not going to start a "which one is better" thread, but rather I am looking for some specifics related to my setup and which would work better as far as lows vs highs, and whether they will be loud enough, or whether ported v. unported or down-firing vs. front is going to be best for me.

My room is about 22' x 13', but the HT is about 13' x 13' square, and I would plan on placing the sub in the front corner about 5' right of the viewing center (projector screen)

I have hardwood (actually softwood - douglas fir) with no subfloor below... underneath is open space (basement)

I will be using Denon 1612 receiver, and my LCRs will most likely be DefTech XTR series (either 40, 50, or 60 -- 60s have down to 70 Hz response, but 50 only goes down to 92 and 40 goes to 100... they are very slim profile, so I assume that's the reason for poor bass response)

Given this is not super low-end bass, my sub will need to handle some mid-level bass in addition to the lowest end. I will mostly be using for home theater, occasionally for music (I'd say maybe 75% of the time will be for HT)

Given this info, which would be best for:

1) SPL

2) Crossover

3) Directionality (downward vs forward -- from what I understand, this can become a factor when you get to the higher frequencies like I would need to cover at about 100 Hz)

PS. I've also considered Outlaw LFM-1 Plus or EX

Thanks!

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
The Outlaws will rule in SPL from those subs. As far as directionality, I don't think front firing will make a big difference. Regarding crossover, all of them will have a flat FR well beyond 100 hz so you are covered there. I think both the PB12 and SB12 will have an output advantage over the STF2. In this price range I would be looking at the Hsu VTF3 first and foremost. You should also check out the subs from Power Sound Audio , its a new company, but the subs look killer for the price.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response, and info re: SPL because that's harder to find than freq response, and yet seems extremely important for a sub.

I'm currently leaning toward the SB12... the reason I was considering STF-2 was (1) Price (currently only $319) (2) Size -- unfortunately, I wanted a sub I could tuck under my end table, at least when not in use... and it looks like all these bigger 12" ported ones fail to fit by about 2" of height. (3) Even though it has a smaller 10" driver, I didn't know if the port would help give it a bigger sound for the low end...

I would think that front-firing vs down would still matter, even though so many people say it doesn't. I see how it might not matter for off-axis listening, but it seems like the directionality would still have an impact on whatever is in the way, and its proximity. I mean, it seems pushing air against a floor a couple inches away (or bouncing off walls in a corner, etc.) would alter the sound, or maybe even cause a booming reverb in my case where the floor below is the ceiling of a hollow room below it. That boom may or may not be welcome, depending on what it is representing. Not so sure I'd want it at 80 or 90 Hz though, doubtful that would be the sound of an earthquake or explosion, and might be something that needs to be cleaner and/or more directional...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But the other option is I could just use one of these subs as my end-table instead, haha. Wow.

All I was going to put on the end-table were going to be my Denon 1612 receiver and Sony Blu-Ray.

Any major problems with putting components on top of a subwoofer case like this?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I was looking at the XTR series but determined that what you give up in bass response isn't worth the thin profile. I went with Mythos 10 speakers which still wall mount but have some internal volume to give extended bass response.

Keep in mind that the xtr series like other deftech products are rated for frequency response with no tolerances. Also note that to get the best low frequency response you will need to mount them flush to the wall. Once i realized that mmost tv wall mount brackets extend off the wall mount4 inches the XT9 series seemed a bit pointless.

Just sharing my journey...as for the subs it's really a matter of size in my opinion

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, normally I would just go with normal wall-mounts for better sound quality (and in that case, I would go with these EmpTeks to save some money)

But the problem is that they stick out too far for me, especially for center channel, which will be located in an area where people can sit (I know this sounds weird -- I have a projector screen which pulls down over a seating bench, such that I can use my living room as a social space with no theater, or can transform it into a home theater by pulling down the screen into that seating alcove)

This is why I wanted in-wall flush-mount speakers, which would be out of way of legs, etc. The problem is, I can fit an in-wall center channel, but no room for the L and R due to studs. On the other hand, I can do any sort of on-wall for L and R, but the center has to stick out less than 3". I would love to mix and match to have an in-wall center and on-wall L and R, but I want them to be timbre-matched so that doesn't appear to be an option with any brands I have looked at.

When I looked at the XTR specs, it said that with a wall-mount, these XTRs still come in at less than 2"

But yes, the low end really does concern me. I'm not worried about the low-lows, but the more directional mid-lows at 90-150 Hz...

·
Registered
538 Posts
Off topic, but a slightly less expensive option for your L/C/R speakers would be the Kef T301 speakers. They got a good review from Hometheater magazine. They would need to be crossed over to the sub at about 120 Hz ( at least that is what Kef America posted on the Kef owners thread when I asked what they recommended for a crossover frequency). Then you could up the budget for your sub!

Just avoid the sub that Kef packages with the T series.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep! I just posted on a different thread here that this is exactly what I did: just pulled the trigger on the T301s, after I saw the specs saying they went down to 80 Hz (for half the price of the XTR-60), and they got better review at TechRadar (especially for the mid/bass) than the XTR series did.

So, saved about $1000 that way, and now I just need to figure out subwoofer (leaning toward Hsu VTF-3 Mk 4, but haven't decided yet)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts