AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E-mailed HSU for guidance on sub placement but suprisingly got no response so I am turning to the experts here for help.

Due to serious lack of placement choices I have my HSU STF-3 placed in a 15x19 room on the rear wall.

This wall is aprox 4ft long and then juts out 90 degrees for about a foot and then is about 8ft long.

I have the sub in the corner of the 4ft section about 6 inches away from the 90 degree turn, ports facing that corner.

No matter what I do with levels and phase etc. the bass is just too "boomy". It rattles and vibrates everything near it and sounds very "muddy"

There is also not much bass "impact" in the seating area about 4-5 feet forward from the sub.

The bass in movies etc. is just not as pleasing as I was expecting (this is my first high end sub) and I end up having to turn down the volume during bass heavy scenes in movies because of the upleasant bass effects then turning the volume back up when it finishes.

Basically I guess I am wondering if there is an inherent flaw in my placement and should I consider moving the sub which would be a major undertaking. The only other area that I might be able to place it is the front of the room near my main speakers in the corner.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Move it out of that alcove. Level/phase won't correct frequency response problems that you may interpret as "boomy". So try some other locations until the output sounds even.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You have it at the 1/3 of the width. Move it a bit. Also, it really doesn't matter what it does anywhere BUT at the seating area. No matter WHERE you put the sub, if YOU'RE back at the wall, it's going to sound boomy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You may want to try another Email to HSU if you decide not to call. My first email went unanswered but the second one came back very quickly, less than 24 hrs. They are really pretty good about making time to assist their customers.

Yes I own a HSU sub.

good luck, -john

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You really need to calibrate the sub, and try some different locations. You could try putting the sub at the listening position, then crawl along the walls and find a spot where the bass sounds best. Put the sub at that location.

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
You should have the sub near the front wall / corner.

Reason - for the most part you are trying to blend deep bass with the front three speakers bass/mids. You want a blended front sound stage, and you need the speakers working off of the same plane (front wall). I had no luck with locating a subwoofer in the back of the room!!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dr. Hsu sometimes recommends a nearfield sub placement, sometimes even behind the couch - I think it really depends on the specific room, the crossover frequency, etc.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
the drawbacks of placing a sub in the back of the room can be mitigated by crossing over as low as possible and getting the phase just right. I found that when I had my sub in the back of the room it sounded much better when I ran my mains large (full range floorstanders) and i took the time to get the phase dialed in. Ultimately I moved it to the front and it sounded noticeably better still.

also try the wall crawl as described above by billy bob, almost any position other than where you have it now will likely be an improvement.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Good advice so far.

I know you said you couldn't put the sub anywhere else, but testing for optimal placement will at least let you know it's the sub placement and room interaction getting in the way as opposed to the sub just not being for your tastes. That's an important thing to decipher.

The other old trick is to put the sub in the actual spot where you will be sitting. Play some test tones and familiar bassy scenes. Walk around the room, find the spot where the bass sounds the most smooth and defined (I.E. not boomy). Once you're done finding the best spot, put your sub in the same spot you were standing.

It's an old trick but a good one...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.