AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After conducting some extensive research on the web, it seems quite conclusive (testimony and pro reviews) that SVS subs have the upper hand over HSU. I am considering between the SVS 20-39PC-Plus VS the HSU STF 3. The reason I am considering the HSU STF 3 is because they have a sales rep in Australia so from a payment/delivery/warranty fullfillment point of view the HSU would be a less risky purchase. I am nearly 99% sure that the 20-39 will go lower and louder than the STF 3.

I need you guys to provide me some negative feedback about the SVS 20-39 PC-Plus so that I can just go get the HSU. Its a lot more convenient but something tells me that I would regret it. Maybe the web marketing team at SVS is too sleak so it makes you feel inadequate not having an SVS. : ) The HSU and the SVS will end up being exactly the same price when they get to me here in Australia.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
This is non-confrontational, but could you provide some links to the "quite conclusive" information you've found? I've heard the Hsu VTF-3 MKII driver (Same one, different tune and amp IIRC) sounds more like the SVS Ultra driver rather than one of the PC-Plus's (only one man's opinion, but it is one thing I've heard). I hope this doesn't start into some silly sub war like all these threads, but I am curious for my own edification. I had settled on Hsu after reading a lot so it is interesting you got the opposite feeling:)

Note: I love both Hsu and SVS and think they make amazing, affordable products. Choosing one over the other seems to be like choosing the Blue M&M over the Red because it tastes better ;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Wow, those are the same price in Australia? In the states the STF-3 is $599 & the 20-39PC+ is $825 - a $226 difference!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
Wow, those are the same price in Australia? In the states the STF-3 is $599 & the 20-39PC+ is $825 - a $226 difference!
Very well spotted. It implies that someone is making some decent margin here in Australia.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3
This is non-confrontational, but could you provide some links to the "quite conclusive" information you've found? I've heard the Hsu VTF-3 MKII driver (Same one, different tune and amp IIRC) sounds more like the SVS Ultra driver rather than one of the PC-Plus's (only one man's opinion, but it is one thing I've heard). I hope this doesn't start into some silly sub war like all these threads, but I am curious for my own edification. I had settled on Hsu after reading a lot so it is interesting you got the opposite feeling:)

Note: I love both Hsu and SVS and think they make amazing, affordable products. Choosing one over the other seems to be like choosing the Blue M&M over the Red because it tastes better ;)
Okay. This is what I want to hear more positives for HSU because the SVS has been getting killer web / user reviews. What about the fact that HSU only uses a 300 watt amp vs the SVS’s 500 watts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
WAF: water heater shape for the SVS vs. traditional box shape for the Hsu. :(

SVS also makes traditional sub shape in a bigger box.

Both companies make very good subs. Can't go wrong w/either one.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Well, I have a pair of 20-39PC+ subs and they are great.

The STF-3 seems like a good sub from what I hear but I think one 20-39PC+ would out perform it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNICRON-WMD
Well, I have a pair of 20-39PC+ subs and they are great.

The STF-3 seems like a good sub from what I hear but I think one 20-39PC+ would out perform it.
I just put in an order for a 20-39PC+. The evil empire has won me over ! : )

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Da da da da da da da da da (think Darth Vader music...) ;)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
This is non-confrontational, but could you provide some links to the "quite conclusive" information you've found?
The only "conclusive" evidence available would be from objective testing, the results of which tend to favor SVS...as in the case below for example:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post6059372

There's nothing conclusive about people's opinions, however...especially all the anonymous ones on "musicaliciousness".

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Wow, you weren't hard to convince, lol. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love it :) I'm waiting to see how the Hsu HO models perform before I decide.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
Merry Xmas! ;)
If you're lucky.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hsu has to get its act together and get the HO units out. They keep on mentioning the HO subs but no set date or products. If they keep this up, they will lose many potential customers to SVS.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
While I agree that they need to get these units out (especially after all the internet hype which has been going on FAR too long), I wouldn't call it "getting their act together." I say that because I'd rather them work all the bugs out and release a great product rather than one that has only been 75% realized and is just "good," but out earlier.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Merry Xmas!
Pretty funny :) I was hoping in a big way to hear one by the end of Sept for a big party I'm having. We'll see I guess...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3
While I agree that they need to get these units out (especially after all the internet hype which has been going on FAR too long), I wouldn't call it "getting their act together." I say that because I'd rather them work all the bugs out and release a great product rather than one that has only been 75% realized and is just "good," but out earlier.
May be getting their act together is too strong, but you're absolutely right about hyping it up for far too long. It's become counter-effective marketing when you hype a product for too long, and no product in sight to show for it. I am positive that once the HO sub finally is available, it'll be very good subs like all Hsu products, but I learned from my marketing class years ago in college about "counter-effective marketing". People will get sick of the hype and will buy a competitor's product.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Lyndonlim,

Thanks for your purchase. Please drop us a line if you need any assistance at all. It seems like the amount of time we have to see what's happening at AVS goes down by the week.

PS, I just saw an off the wall flick called "The Castle" set in Sydney? Hilarious.

Ron

SVS

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
May be getting their act together is too srong,
Agreed...the hype is an integral part of the act.

Quote:
I am positive that once the HO sub finally is available, it'll be very good subs like all Hsu products,
No argument here.

Quote:
People will get sick of the hype and will buy a competitor's product.
That's obviously been happening. I think of hype as unsubstantiated promotion...and people seem to be gravitating toward the substantiated.

·
Registered
586 Posts
gilvey, what is it about the HO specs that we know so far that make you think it is overhyped? you think it will underperform with those massive pipes and turbo?

some will say that the ufw-12 is overhyped, but I say that this is just excitement from people who already know that the basic specs are great. same goes with the HO.

is there not a distinction between excitement and hype? hype is when the company says that their product blows away everything else. i have not seen that from onix or HSU.

maybe the svs guys are bitter because they will be second best, make that third best, after onix and HsU when both release their new ones.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.