AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting hsu 15" sub sometime in the next 6 months or so.

It looks like the ULS-15 and VTF-15 are comparable but the ULS-15 costs about $200 more and am wondering why?

The ULS-15 is sealed and offers a wireless option. Is the price difference primary because of the wireless option? or is the ULS-15 a superior sub even when using a sub cable?

Does the wireless option require an extra adapter to be purchased? if so, how much does it cost?

Does going wireless produce a diminished sound over a wired conneection?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20901258

It looks like the ULS-15 and VTF-15 are comparable but the ULS-15 costs about $200 more and am wondering why?

The ULS-15 is sealed and offers a wireless option. Is the price difference primary because of the wireless option? or is the ULS-15 a superior sub even when using a sub cable?

Does the wireless option require an extra adapter to be purchased? if so, how much does it cost?

One is ported and the other is sealed.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts

Quote:

The ULS has a more powerful amplifier and I believe a higher excursion driver, along with the wireless feature. It won't have the output of the VTF15h, but I think it may be superior with respect to sound quality. I think the ULS may do better with the sharp transients in music, but the VTF15 will do better with movie explosions and other high output concussive sounds. To put it plainly, the VTF15 can get louder.

The wireless adapter does not cost extra, it comes with the sub. You may need to buy a RCA tipped Y-adapter to connect the transmitter to the sub-out on your AVR, but those will only cost you one or two dollars. The sound quality should be the same whether you go wired or wireless.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Quote:

IMHO, the uls-15 and vtf-15 are not very comparable and have very different design goals. One is a compact sealed sub with built in wireless and the other is a large ported sub with multiple tuning configurations. Pete Hsu has said it would take two uls-15s to match the output of a single vtf-15h from 16hz-100hz. However, I also remember reading some have said the uls15 may have better SQ then the vtf15h.

I think the price difference is because of the built in wireless and a more expensive driver. The pros for the uls-15 compared to the vtf15h are its smaller size and output below 16hz.

So if size is a concern or you want significant output below 16hz (dependent on the room), you should probably go with a single or multiple uls15s over the vtf15h. If size isn't a concern, you want the most output above 16hz or you have a large room with little room gain you should probably go with the vtf15h.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20902600

Thanks for the responses. I think the VTF-15 is closer to what I want.

Do they ever go on sale?

They're intro-priced right now as it is. They'll only go up. At least, until they decide to clearance them at the end of their life cycle maybe..

·
Registered
3,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/20902600

Thanks for the responses. I think the VTF-15 is closer to what I want.

Do they ever go on sale?

I bought a b-stock one from Hsu that saved me the price of shipping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.