AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two speaker packages retail for $300 (although the Athena Micra 6 does come with a sub).

Which package is the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I would imagine the Athenas sound a bit better because of their larger size, but I've read many great reviews on the Hsu's. If you need small cube type speakers, go with the Hsu. If size doesn't matter, I'd say the Athenas.

Evan

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The Hsu sub/sat package is a great deal. It's a $400 sub. Haven't heard the speakers though.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
The HSU is a nice setup, sounds great. The ventriloquist setting is kinda gimmicky, but passable. I used it once, played with it and then never touched it again.

I use my Hsu as my gaming computer.

Liver

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver
I use my Hsu as my gaming computer.

Liver
Oh? The Hsu doubles as a computer? I guess it really IS a good deal then! :cool:

Evan

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have both of these setups. In my living room I have the HSU Ventriloquist and STF-2 Sub. In my bedroom I have the Athena Micra 6. Both are powered by a Panasonic SA-XR25. I love both systems but I like the sound from the HSU better. The HSU has a larger sub 10" vs 8" on the Micra. It gives that extra oomph in movies!!!! I can notice that the sub on the Micra begins to give out and strain in certain movies such as LOTR ROTK and Flight of the Phoenix. The port on the subwoofer gives some noise sometimes. However for my bedroom the Micra's sub is more than enough. The Athena does have a little better highs due to having tweeters.

I paid $350 for the HSU setup and $150 for the Athena setup on special deals last year. Both setups are great for the money!!!! I choose the HSU for better overall sound for both movies and music. Then Athena mainly for movies. I was thinking about getting a new sub either a Dayton or Acoustech H100 for the Micra which would slightly even out the playing field.

YAZ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Yaz! :) ;)

I have the same receiver (Panasonic SA-XR25) so this is really helpfull info. I also have a 10" Velodyne sub so I figured I wouldn't need to buy one if I decided on the HSU Ventriloquist.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by (Evan)
Oh? The Hsu doubles as a computer? I guess it really IS a good deal then! :cool:

Evan
LOL!

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you're still deciding, I can give a wholehearted recommendation on the Athena's. They were the best I could find for the money about 6 months ago and they still sound great. They also look decent and hang on the wall just fine.

Bob Scott

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purchased the HSU Ventriloquist set and should have them by Wed. I'll post an update on how they sound as soon as I get them set up.

Thanks everyone for great input! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia_man
I purchased the HSU Ventriloquist set and should have them by Wed. I'll post an update on how they sound as soon as I get them set up.

Thanks everyone for great input! :D
This thread is very helpful to me since I, too, am looking at the HSU Ventriloquist set. I have a small living room with HTIB speakers already mounted on the wall so HSU speakers appear to be the better fit and sound. My reciever, I believe, is similar to the ones mentioned in these threads; Panasonic SA-XR55 Receiver w/ a Panasonic DVDs97s DVD Player and optical cables. I might just buy the Hsu because I want them for good movie sound and music. I'll be waiting for your reply.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a loft that I want to convert into a HT. The size is roughly 15 x 13 (15 x 10 viewing distance). I'm really interested in both Hsu VT-12's and the Athena Micra 6's. I mainly watch T.V. and movies with the occasional gaming. Would anyone like to give their input on which speaker system would be best for my layout?

P.S. Would the Yamaha RX-V (757, 1500) series receivers work well with any of these speaker systems?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
For those with the vt12, have you had any problems/gripes with the wiring of them? I thought I read the front Lt/Rt connect to center channel. Is that the only wiring scheme? Can you hook the front Lt/Rt directly to the receiver's speaker outs?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
The wiring scheme is very specific....the Ventriloquist system runs through the center channel.....the left and right satellites have to connect to the center.

I set one of for my Parents....no gripes or issues with the wiring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.