AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
Probably not what you want to hear, but "the best" is a very subjective term. Only your own ears can decide what sounds best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, but which is the best overall in terms of construction, soundstage, and depth? It seems to be a toss-up between the Energy RC-10 and HB-1...hmmm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
RC-10 is well regarded, but so is PSB B25 which you removed from your lineup. To me, it would be a tossup between these two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,103 Posts
Those RC-10s say $350 on that link.


At that price I would throw in the Ascend 170SEs for consideration.
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...70/cbm170.html


For me it would be between the Hsu HB-1s and the 170SEs. I am partial to Ascends because I have 340s and 170s. I haven't heard the Energy's but they are supposed to be similar to the Ascends.


Are you getting this for music, movies, or a mix of both? For HT you'll need to think of speakers for center and surround as well, once you are ready to add on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,654 Posts
I prefer PSB B25 and Energy RC10 at this price point. I haven't heard any ID stuff but based on the rest of your gear suspect you will go that route, I am most intrigued by Aperion, Ascend and EMP for ID - go nuts & do THIS


Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
I have the old SBS-01 from SVS and love them. More than i did my paradigm Atoms in fact. I have never head those other options but I can tell you that the only problem I have with the SBS is the fact that they are not very sensitive, the new ones improve on this though.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
The only speakers that have been compared to my knowledge have been the Hsu and SVS speakers. To your list of choices I would add the Infinity Primus P162 bookshelfs. From your list, the speakers I would go with would be the Hsu's, the aforementioned Ascend CBM170's, and the Primus speakers. The PSB's look good too. I know that the SVS and Energy speakers would be good too, but if this is for home theater, I would go with something with a 6.5" woofer and more sensitivity, if I could get it. The Energy speakers must have some heavy-duty cabinets though, to weigh nearly 30 lbs each.


Also remember that the rear ported speakers, the Hsu's and the Ascend's can not be mounted directly against the walls, the rear needs a few inches of space for the ports.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18268184


...if this is for home theater, I would go with something with a 6.5" woofer and more sensitivity, if I could get it. The Energy .

Thank you for the input. Yes, these would be used for both movies and music, majority the latter though. The HSU and Energy's look the most promising for use without having to purchase a subwoofer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18268184


The Energy speakers must have some heavy-duty cabinets though, to weigh nearly 30 lbs each.

I believe this was proven to be a mistake. That weight figure is for the pair.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rich330P4

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_fi82 /forum/post/18268386


Thank you for the input. Yes, these would be used for both movies and music, majority the latter though. The HSU and Energy's look the most promising for use without having to purchase a subwoofer.

If you aren't using a sub, go for the Hsu speakers. I have them and have compared them to my Primus p162 speakers, and the bass on the Hsu speakers was clearly better. And the Infinity speakers' bass isn't at all bad either. If you are using a sub, than this is less of an advantage, but at least you can safely crossover your system at a lower point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ /forum/post/18269063


If you aren't using a sub, go for the Hsu speakers. I have them and have compared them to my Primus p162 speakers, and the bass on the Hsu speakers was clearly better. And the Infinity speakers' bass isn't at all bad either. If you are using a sub, than this is less of an advantage, but at least you can safely crossover your system at a lower point.

Just got rid of my sub due to space constraints, so the 6.5" woofers these speakers have are beneficial.


Yes I would go for the HSU, especially with the horn tweeters, but it seems that with the $40 shipping the $450 price is a bit over my budget.


On the other hand the Infinity's come to $298 shipped, which would leave more room for a receiver/amp. Are they largely inferior to the HSU or is the difference minimal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,190 Posts

Quote:
I would go with something with a 6.5" woofer and more sensitivity, if I could get it. The Energy speakers must have some heavy-duty cabinets though, to weigh nearly 30 lbs each.

I have RC-10 speakers, they only weigh 13-14lbs each. That 30lb listed must be shipping weight for the pair.


And they only have a 5.5" woofer, but have excellent build quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
I have both the RC-10's and the HB-1 MK2's. Build quality is about equal, but the RC-10's use nicer materials, and are more pleasing to look at. I have the cherry RC-10's and the plain black HB-1 MK2's. However the HB-1 MK2's are much bigger and more intimidating with there grills off. I really like the sound of the RC-10's, they are very smooth, full, and do a very nice job for music, I have not used them for movies though. The sound of the HB-1 MK2's is much different from the RC-10's, lil more in your face, punchy, ever so slightly nasally, and can take alot of power. I rotate them every so often in my 2 channel setup and I like them both. I really depends on what "sound" you like. Most people say your either a horn guy or your not. Where do you live at? If your close you can audition them both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I have a pair of HB-1 MK2's as surround speakers and the HC-1 MK2 in my 7.1 setup, they are used 90% for movies and I love the sound from them. They (at least to me) are not bright or nasally, I'm thinking of replacing my front towers with a pair....


My receiver is a Pioneer Elite SC-27, which from what I have read has a warmer sound than some of the other brands out there.


Good luck in your search!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_fi82 /forum/post/18269158


Just got rid of my sub due to space constraints, so the 6.5" woofers these speakers have are beneficial.


Yes I would go for the HSU, especially with the horn tweeters, but it seems that with the $40 shipping the $450 price is a bit over my budget.


On the other hand the Infinity's come to $298 shipped, which would leave more room for a receiver/amp. Are they largely inferior to the HSU or is the difference minimal?

The bass is much stronger on the HB-1's, in my direct comparison. The highs are a bit smoother for the Infinities, and a bit more detailed, but the tweeters for the Hsu speakers definitely have more 'slam', and almost a more visceral, realistic feel. I was comparing by ear, but, to me, the Hsu speakers sounded flat down to 55 hertz with very usable bass down to 45 hertz, while the Primus speakers roll off at 60 hertz, with maybe some usable bass down to 50 hertz. The thing is, the Hsu speakers are just a 'bassier' speaker, and the bass sounded more powerful from them during anything that had bass in it. It's no wonder though, seeing as how the guy who made them is known for his outstanding subwoofer designs.


The Infinity speakers don't do badly, but, from what I have heard from the same amp and same room placement, I would guess that Infinity overstates their bass extension while Hsu understates theirs. I'm a bass junkie and I like dealing with Hsu, so if it was me I would go for the Hsu speakers, but if you don't listen to stuff very loudly, and don't listen to a lot of material with punchy bass, the Primus speakers are terrific. You can go to the Primus thread and read about them, a lot of people are really happy with them.
 
1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Top