AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says HSU VTF-1 vs HSU VTF-2 vs Definitive Technology PowerField 1500.

I want to upgrade my $900 13 year old 15" Definitive Technology sub to either the HSU VTF-1 or HSU VTF-2.

How will the HSU subs compare to my old 15" Powerfield Sub? Will I really get that much more punch out of the new HSU subs or will my old Powerfield sub hit harder?

How much more output will the VTF-2 sub put out over the VTF-1 sub and is it worth the money?

This is for a 80% home theater application in a room that is 20x12x8.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Go for the VTF2, it is a big step up, easily enough to warrant the extra charge. As to how they compare with your Deftech, I am just guessing by looking at the specs, but I think the deftech would probably have more output above the 40 hz area, but below that the VTF2 would be more powerful due to its deep tuning. If you look at the Deftech's specs, it looks like a mid-bass module like Hsu's MBM-12, not a true subwoofer. Its frequency response is listed at 50 Hz - 100 Hz, but in that range though, I think it would be powerful. If you end up getting a new sub, it would be interesting to see how your deftech compares to a Hsu, hopefully you can let us know how they compare.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe these are the specs for the Powerfield 1500 sub:

-PF® 1500TL+

-19 1/2"H x 17"W x 17 5/16"D

-14-150 Hz

-One high-definition 15" driver with polymer laminate cone

-500 watts RMS

-• Volume • Phase• Low pass • High pass

-24 dB/octave continuously adjustable variable (40-150 Hz), plus direct LFE input option

-6 dB/octave speaker level at 80 Hz

-12 dB/octave continuously variable (40 to 150 Hz)

-Hand-rubbed piano gloss black lacquer

-79 lbs.

Link to sub information.

I am under the impression that modern day subs can and will out preform this sub. Again I think it was manufactured around 1997 to maybe 2000.

"-6 dB/octave speaker level at 80 Hz, -12 dB/octave continuously variable (40 to 150 Hz)" -Do these stats mean there is a big roll off on this sub?

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The specs I read were off a ebay product listing . The roll offs you mentioned are high pass and low pass filter points, which you can set manually. In trying to locate my source for the specs for the 1500 I found an old AVS thread which compares the Hsu VTF3.2 to the Powerfield 1500, which may be of interest to you. Also, the claimed extension of the 1500 to 14 hz is an absolute joke. All of DefTech's subs have this spec and it means nothing. Sure it will have output at 14 hz, but how loud? 20, maybe 30 db down? This sub was produced in the mid 90s, and not many subs were doing deep bass back then. In fact, the only commercially produced sub that I know of which could back then was the old Hsu cylinder subs, and if I remember right they were tuned to around 20 hz.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is exactly where I need help to compare my Powerfield 1500 to a modern day subs, namely the two HSU units I mentioned. I don't want to spend the money just to make a lateral move.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfeskj /forum/post/20892240

No one has ever upgraded from a Powerfield 1500 sub?

I did, relatively speaking it is a tubby piece of crap good to 30 hz or so.

Almost anything is better.

In it day it was good but its day has long past. Upgrade away.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.