AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing research for the past couple of months and decided on the HSU Vtf-15H for my sub upgrade. I am also expecting my Denon X4000 to be here this week and need some advice. I'm debating about whether I should run the Infinity SW-12 with the Vtf-15h or would it not do me any benefit at all? I did the crawl today to find the best spots for my sub and have found 2 spots where I think I could put each sub so long as they would be "compatiable". The Vtf-15h would be behind my MLP and the SW-12 would be in the front right of my MLP by the fireplace. The sw12 would be wired and the VTF-15h would be wireless if that matters. From my reading, the denon x4000 has sub-eq which would eq both subs separately so i'm thinking maybe it would be better to run both instead of just the Vtf-15h. From reading the forums, i have read mixed reviews, some say never to mismatch a "better" sub with a "lower" sub and some say it sounded better and fuller? What are your thoughts? Thanks for your help in advance! Paul

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,694 Posts

I would place the VTF15 in both of the locations you have found and do a REW sweep.  If you don't have this yet, the program is a free download, the mic is $100 from miniDSP, the Umik-1.  This will tell you how good/bad your frequency response is, and if adding the smaller sub would be helpful.  If you do decide to run both, I agree with basshead, use the smaller one near field, as you can lower the gain that way which will help to "match up" the subs so to speak.  Outside of measuring, its a shot in the dark whether it helps you or not as far as getting phases correct, and whether you end up filling a null or simply make a peak worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I am in the process of learning about REW and have the measuring tools already. I never knew to place the "weaker" sub near MLP but that is great to know and makes perfect sense! I will try to do a measurement when the Denon x4000 gets here and will try to post the graph here when I do. Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts