AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am in the process of upgrading my sub. I would like to know wich is better for me and my setup.
My setup is :
Anthem MRX 510
Oppo 103
Fronts: Paradigm Millenia 300
Center: Paradigm Millenia 30
Surrounds :Mordant Short Carnival 3
Room is 17' x 14'
Thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Being that the JL E112 is twice as much as the HSU, you could get dual subs and smooth out your in-room response.

If dual isn't an option, I'd still go for the HSU. It'll dig much deeper and have more output.

If size is a concern, go for the E112.

If performance is what you're seeking.. dual VTF-15H MK2! (back ordered now, though.)

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
More importantly, music or movies, as this will be a crucial factor.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More importantly, music or movies, as this will be a crucial factor.
90% for movies
10% for music
My room configuration makes it that i only can have 1 sub.
Thanks

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
90% for movies
10% for music
My room configuration makes it that i only can have 1 sub.
Thanks
In that case, it would take 2-3 of the JBL subs to match the single Hsu for output on movies.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The comparisons are quite interesting. A very huge ported sub that is half the price vs a small sealed sub that is twice the price.... I am curious to know what the thought process is?
I would think the new PSA S3000i would be a great sub.... that is if you are willing to spend 2k and can only get 1sub for your space

·
Registered
49 Posts
The comparisons are quite interesting. A very huge ported sub that is half the price vs a small sealed sub that is twice the price.... I am curious to know what the thought process is?
I would think the new PSA S3000i would be a great sub.... that is if you are willing to spend 2k and can only get 1sub for your space
Otherwise if you are pretty set on the 2 options, then HSU would be my pick because you do 90% movies

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I too am surprised by the two choices. The JL Audio E112 would be better compared to the SVS SB13-Ultra or the Rythmik E15HP or F15HP, and all of these sealed subs would be outstanding for music in a room your size (and impressive for movies). However, since the sub will be 90 percent movie related, it's a no brainer between the JL and Hsu. Get the Hsu based on price/performance ratio alone. But I'd also look at the Rythmik FV15HP. You should also look at subs from Reaction Audio and PSA.

Note: SVS and PSA will pay the return shipping within the trial period if, for any reason, you do not like the sub. Both SVS and PSA (and perhaps Reaction Audio?) have 5 year transferrable warranties. And Reaction Audio and PSA (like Hsu before them), are offering exciting new models that are bound to impress for less money than the JL Audio.

Oops, didn't see you were in Canada. My mistake (all I needed to do was read). Check with any subwoofer company you are thinking about on shipping charges. I do believe there is an SVS distributor in Canada.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys for your input !!!!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Agreed the S3000i would be an excellent alternative since its more compact vs. the larger/ported Hsu & sealed design like the JL Audio E112. I believe shipping costs (since you reside in Quebec) are less prohibitive if going with PSA vs Hsu ...making a point for the less expensive Hsu becomes moot...IMO.
Like some of the others have already noted this is not exactly an apples to apples comparison but both subs come highly regraded.
Food for thought...good luck in your decision!:)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I heard good things from SVS also but i must admit that the price of the HSU is very interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts