AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, I have a Def Tech PF15TL subwoofer, and a friend has an HSU VTF-2 MK1 that he wants to sell so he can upgrade to something that will resemble an earthquake in his living room.

My question is this, I just bought the Klipsch RF-83 tower speakers and the related center and surrounds for my basement finished room, and need a subwoofer. The room is roughly 20 x 12 with 9 foot ceilings. I want this to be the dedicated listening room for both home theater and music listening. Here are my options.

A) Move the PF15TL down from upstairs to use with the Klipsch system.

B) Buy the HSU VTF-2 to use instead.

Which would ya'll choose? I know the PF15TL has a 15" woofer, with a 325 watt amp compared to 10" woofer and 250 watt amp, but the reputation of HSU has led me to consider the fact that the HSU might be a better choice and the better of the two subs. And no, he doesn't live nearby, so I can't go listen to it beforehand.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I previously owned the DefTech PF15 ($700 list, paid $550) and the HSU STF-2 ($400 list, paid $400). These are not the exact models you are talking about, but pretty close. I didn't own them at the same time, so I never A-B'ed the 2 directly, but from memory, I liked the HSU a lot better for both movies and music.

The DefTech PF15 is a sealed box and the response rolls off sharply below 30hz. This was a design choice by DefTech to get maximum output in the 30-60hz range.

The STF-2 is ported and has clean, audible output all the way down to 20hz. It is really a remarkable sub for the size and price.

Note: The HSU STF-2 is basically the VTF-2 locked into "maximum extension" mode. I am not sure what upgrades, if any, DefTech added to the PF15TL compared to the PF15 that I owned.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling the porting was going to make a difference in that range. And, like the PF15 you had, the PF15TL is sealed as well, and definately rolls off some below 30 hz. Even with the extended wattage and size of woofer, I had a feeling those differences wouldn't matter when compared to the HSU sub.

Thanks again,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.