AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello debating between HSU vtf-2 mk3 vs Polk DSW micropro 3000 vs DT supercube II. Will be listening to movies/music 80/20. Would like a sub capable of allowing you to feel the bass during movies. Would also like the sub to be able to perform well when listening to music. I'm guessing, as a member predicts, most of you will recommend the HSU. If that is so, would like to know specifically why? Also has anyone ever been disappointed with an HSU???

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Go with the VTF2 if you are after audio performance. Avoid the Polk, those specs don't mean anything because there is no tolerance given, and it definitely will not give you the performance of the Hsu. The Deftech is a lot like the Polk. The Hsu is larger, but will have actual deep bass. The Polk and deftech should have decent midbass, but I can't believe they will be hitting hard at all below the high 30 hz range. They are midbass modules, not full range true subwoofers.

·
Registered
344 Posts
i have the MK2 and have been very pleased with the bass it gives out for music and HT. With movies it sounds loud and deep and i have never heard it bottom out at all.

For music it is very articulate. If you like rock bassist like Billy and Geddy....then yea you will hear and feel the "plucks" and "bends".

If you can...get the "Yes Synphonic" dvd and play "Starship Tooper".

Chris Squires bass sounds like he is the room with his amp "alot" of up and down the scale bass playing "he is all over that hing!" AND towards the end when he taps his bass organ pedals with his feet along with doing triplets on the bass you "feel that organ vibrating to the triplets he is playing" VERY TRUE as to what i hear and feel when i see them live!

Much like concrete resonating in a church.

I kid you not...i play that disk at least 3 times a week!

Sucker Punch....The first samurai's breath heard and felt deeeeep! Second samurai machine gun blasts lots of percussion.

Bjork's "An army of me" in Sucker Punch F#$KING AWESOME! One of the BEST movie sound tracks i have ever heard!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixj3
i have the MK2 and have been very pleased with the bass it gives out for music and HT. With movies it sounds loud and deep and i have never heard it bottom out at all.

For music it is very articulate. If you like rock bassist like Billy and Geddy....then yea you will hear and feel the "plucks" and "bends".

If you can...get the "Yes Synphonic" dvd and play "Starship Tooper".

Chris Squires bass sounds like he is the room with his amp "alot" of up and down the scale bass playing "he is all over that hing!" AND towards the end when he taps his bass organ pedals with his feet along with doing triplets on the bass you "feel that organ vibrating to the triplets he is playing" VERY TRUE as to what i hear and feel when i see them live!

Much like concrete resonating in a church.

I kid you not...i play that disk at least 3 times a week!

Sucker Punch....The first samurai's breath heard and felt deeeeep! Second samurai machine gun blasts lots of percussion.

Bjork's "An army of me" in Sucker Punch F#$KING AWESOME! One of the BEST movie sound tracks i have ever heard!
I was just testing the Polk DSW 550wi listening to some songs on U2 - No Line to the Horizon and was not impressed. Kind of sounded like just a rumble. This is the sub I'm looking to take back and get one of the ones in the subject line. I'm really not happy with the sub as I feel there is better out there.

If I go with this HSU on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 highest) what would you think my satisfaction would be for music listening to a cd like this? Do you sacrifice any quality for Home Theater if you get a good musical sub? I really don't want to order it and get it home and be disappointed, as then I have to pay for shipping both ways. What are the odds it's going to sound like a louder clone of the polk DSW 550wi? I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellings
I was just testing the Polk DSW 550wi listening to some songs on U2 - No Line to the Horizon and was not impressed. Kind of sounded like just a rumble. This is the sub I'm looking to take back and get one of the ones in the subject line. I'm really not happy with the sub as I feel there is better out there.

If I go with this HSU on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 highest) what would you think my satisfaction would be for music listening to a cd like this? Do you sacrifice any quality for Home Theater if you get a good musical sub? I really don't want to order it and get it home and be disappointed, as then I have to pay for shipping both ways. What are the odds it's going to sound like a louder clone of the polk DSW 550wi? I'm a bit nervous.

Thanks!!!
I think the Hsu should be a definite improvement in every respect. How much of an improvement to you is something that no one could really know, as it is a subjective experience. However, the Polk sub you have should be sounding better than just a rumble for those bass notes. I would make sure you have it setup correctly. You might look for tips around this board on how to get the most out of your subwoofer. You might also experiment with different placement positions for it, as that can make a dramatic difference sometimes.

Some people talk about some subs being good for movies and some being good for music, well I think that is nonsense. What people really mean by subs being good for movies is subs capable of a lot of output, and musical subs are those that have accuracy as their highest priority. But for me, a sub should also be able to get loud for music and also be able to accurately follow the low frequency sounds in movies. A sub that can not do both is a good sub for neither movies or music.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ
I think the Hsu should be a definite improvement in every respect. How much of an improvement to you is something that no one could really know, as it is a subjective experience. However, the Polk sub you have should be sounding better than just a rumble for those bass notes. I would make sure you have it setup correctly. You might look for tips around this board on how to get the most out of your subwoofer. You might also experiment with different placement positions for it, as that can make a dramatic difference sometimes.

Some people talk about some subs being good for movies and some being good for music, well I think that is nonsense. What people really mean by subs being good for movies is subs capable of a lot of output, and musical subs are those that have accuracy as their highest priority. But for me, a sub should also be able to get loud for music and also be able to accurately follow the low frequency sounds in movies. A sub that can not do both is a good sub for neither movies or music.
I think it is setup correctly. I really lack the terminology to describe the polk sub. It's not bad, but I do have to turn the volume all the way up to enjoy. If the volume is at 50% this sub doesn't pick much up. Cross over is currently at 80Hz and I have both LFE and Main lines going to it (configured through Denon AVR menu).

I feel that I shouldn't need to turn this sub at full volume for it to perform at it's best.

Earlier I was listening to music and enjoyed it more when the sub was not at full volume. When my wife and I later watched a movie, she didn't like the volume all the way up because she said it was too "loud" and "boomy". I agreed.

I really just want a quality sub that I can adjust to sound exactly the way I want, preferable with not having to turn the sub all the way up for good affect.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
It sounds to me that you might be sitting in a bass null. If you are sitting in the center of a largish room, or one that has large openings to other areas, it might be just too much for that sub to pressurize. A bigger sub might work to fix this, but it might not. Multiple subs go a long way to overcoming bass nulls. I would try a VTF2 or similar sub to overcome this, and if it doesn't work I would add another. Another thing is if you are pushing your present sub to maximum levels, then that "boominess" you hear is likely some kind of distortion, and is not how your sub is supposed to sound.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ
It sounds to me that you might be sitting in a bass null. If you are sitting in the center of a largish room, or one that has large openings to other areas, it might be just too much for that sub to pressurize. A bigger sub might work to fix this, but it might not. Multiple subs go a long way to overcoming bass nulls. I would try a VTF2 or similar sub to overcome this, and if it doesn't work I would add another. Another thing is if you are pushing your present sub to maximum levels, then that "boominess" you hear is likely some kind of distortion, and is not how your sub is supposed to sound.
x2!!! Never run a powered subwoofer at full gain never go higher that 60%.... You might want to check the level which your denon set your subwoofer at as audyssey occasionally really sets the subwoofer levels quite low

And second always always do the "subwoofer crawl" ( http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/sp...ofer-placement ) which will help you find the best place to place your subwoofer, and allow you to maximize the performance

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Good choice. I would take some time to experiment with subwoofer placement once you get it. Look into the "sub crawling" technique. You spent a nice chunk of change so make sure you get the most out of your investment. Remember to rerun Audyssey, or whatever room correction EQ your receiver has.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellings /forum/post/20787301

Gents...placed my order for the HSU 2.3 last night... Putting my trust in you guys!

Good!! Tell us how you like it when you get to listen! PM me if you need some placement tips...the HSU's are room friendly.

BTW don't throw away the special foam that comes in the box...you can make some DIY subdudes or isolators to further tighten up the bass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.