AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously considering upgrading from a Mirage Prestige S10 to the HSU VTF-3 MK3 or MK4. I'd love some feedback, especially from anyone who has made a comparable upgrade from the Prestige S10 (or it's Energy equivalent).

My listening room is 17x17 with 10ft celing, but has very large openings along two walls into a small dining room and into an atrium that about doubles the whole open square footage. I am assuming that the VTF-3 will result in a significant improvement in HT in both deep extension and overall volume, especially because of going from a 10 to 12 inch woofer with this kind of space. But otherwise, will I still get at least the same tight, smooth bass integration that the S10 gives? I know that HSU has a reputation for sounding great with music. My use is about 60HT/30Music/10Game, but if music won't sound at least as good, I'll save more money for a much more expensive sealed sub, such as the SVS SB13-Plus.

My system: Denon AVR-888 (100 watt), B&W 601, B&W CC6, B&W LM-1, Mirage Prestige S10, Sony PS3, Denon 1920 DVD, Logitech Squeezebox, and an HTPC for Steam and downloaded video.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The Hsu will be an upgrade in terms of output and the ability to dig a little deeper. The Mirage doesn't have really any output below 25Hz so the Hsu will give you usable output below that for sure, and it should maintain good sound quality. I have had a few of the Energy/Mirage subs and they are really good musically but I think the Hsu will hold its end of the bargain. With the MK4, you will get the ability to run sealed if you want to trade some output for that sealed sound.

Your room is fairly large and being open it will still eat up the bass, so if it was me, I would actually aim a little larger if you want a sub to end all upgrades but still stay with a reasonable size box.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's good to hear that the VTF-3 series would be a helpful upgrade over my sub. I'm torn about going even bigger (and more expensive) in the HSU line to something like the VTF-15H (or an SVS or other ID sub brand) because I think saving for an upgrade to a higher class receiver--better amp quality and the Audessey MultEQ XT--would be the next direction to take my setup.

But you are right. The Mirage barely does anything on the very low end. And it struggles to do anything with this kind of space. It was a hell of a bargain when I got it from Vanns for $350, but it's only a 10". A 12" might not get me all the way there, but it should be some improvement.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/20899613

I think saving for an upgrade to a higher class receiver--better amp quality and the Audessey MultEQ XT--would be the next direction to take my setup.

I think it's always better to take a large step and hit the right target first (avoid a series of minor upgrades).

I would recommend going to a VTF15 or something similar, it will be the kind of improvement that you go "wow"

·
Registered
513 Posts
I only mention this out of curiosity since I am also reasearching subs...I'm a little confused about the recommendation to go with a larger sub since the room is under 3000 cubic feet and the sub is rated on HSU's website for 6000 cubic feet.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI /forum/post/20900168

I only mention this out of curiosity since I am also reasearching subs...I'm a little confused about the recommendation to go with a larger sub since the room is under 3000 cubic feet and the sub is rated on HSU's website for 6000 cubic feet.

the problem is that his room is an open space. When it's an open space, the bass isn't confined to the 3000 cubic feet, it's effectively a lot larger. I would go for the VTF3Mk4 as a minimum for an upgrade if it was me.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Based on the advice, I think I'll hold off for now and think this through some more.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I've read many posts with different subs and I've come to the conclusion that most people have their home theater eq set up in concrete bunkers!!
I have a Paradigm PS1200 at least 12+ yrs old and it fills the room nicely with bass, and it's a Great Room design that opens all the way back to the kitchen with cathedrial ceilings that soar to 12 + feet. I can only imagine what an HSU (or other on line manufactuers) VTF MK3 or 4 would do above and beyond what the Paradigm does!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az /forum/post/20902510

I've read many posts with different subs and I've come to the conclusion that most people have their home theater eq set up in concrete bunkers!!
I have a Paradigm PS1200 at least 12+ yrs old and it fills the room nicely with bass, and it's a Great Room design that opens all the way back to the kitchen with cathedrial ceilings that soar to 12 + feet. I can only imagine what an HSU (or other on line manufactuers) VTF MK3 or 4 would do above and beyond what the Paradigm does!

Jeff

haha. Yes, the average person on this forum is a bass junkie. But don't knock it until you tried it. I used to have a small Energy sub and I thought that was pretty impressive...then I heard a real sub, and there was no going back.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 /forum/post/20902488

Based on the advice, I think I'll hold off for now and think this through some more.

If you hang around this forum too long, you'll end up with a Seaton Submersive soon enough

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/20902720

If you hang around this forum too long, you'll end up with a Seaton Submersive soon enough

Well, after more research and this encouragement, you got me tempted to go with the Rythmik F15, Epik Empire, or the HSU VTF-15H. Otherwise, if budgetary sense prevails, I'll choose between the HSU VTF-3 MK3, Rythmik FV12, Epik Legend, or the Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

I'll have to see how well I can resist the temptation. It will be my bad luck that that one of the options from the first list will go on sale the end of next week and I'll have to take the plunge

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In case anyone else looks for a comparison of the Mirage Prestige S10 to the ID subs, I got the Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX. It's dramatically better than the S10 in SQ, SPL, and LFE. For instance, when I run my two B&W 601 mains in direct stereo mode with both subs, the S10/601 combination sounds better with the 601s crossed at 60hz so that they fill in part of the bass. With the EX/601 working together, I like it crossed at 80hz, because the EX can do better with that 60-80hz range in making the pairing more musical, and it seems to help my bookshelves sound better otherwise as well (perhaps because the woofers aren't working as hard). My amateur conclusion is that EX is three times or more the "value" in a sub that the S10 is.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
glad it worked out for you. Yes, the Outlaw EX is a great performer for the $.

·
Registered
344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/20902720

That has to be the greatest SuBfWOoFeR post evr!

We all are junkies aiming for the uLtImAtE FiX bAbY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.