AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to upgrade my Energy esw 8 to the esw-v10 or the BIC F12 to match with my Take Classic 5.1. However, I found a used 1 year old Maple finished HSU vtf-3 Mk3 for $395. Will this work well with the above system? My family room opens to another room so the total area is about 15 foot X 40 foot X 8 foot high ceiling. Thanks

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
The SQ of the HSU 3.3 is hard to beat.

Bill

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was worried about the small energy speakers ( frequency response 115Hz-20KHz for satellites and 110Hz-20KHz for center channel) not matching with this huge sub whose crossover is a variable 30-90 hz . If this will not work very well, is there any other way around it ( crossover via the receiver). I am also using an older Onkyo AVR but plan to upgrade to the newer Pioneer elite VSX-21TXH by Xmas. BTW, what would you guys recommend for the crossover with the energy? Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyonman /forum/post/17043222

I was worried about the small energy speakers ( frequency response 115Hz-20KHz for satellites and 110Hz-20KHz for center channel) not matching with this huge sub whose crossover is a variable 30-90 hz . If this will not work very well, is there any other way around it ( crossover via the receiver). I am also using an older Onkyo AVR but plan to upgrade to the newer Pioneer elite VSX-21TXH by Xmas. BTW, what would you guys recommend for the crossover with the energy? Thanks again

Anybody care to give their opinion on my worries here. Will setting the crossover on the AVR to 120 hz be OK here? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyonman /forum/post/17044568

Anybody care to give their opinion on my worries here. Will setting the crossover on the AVR to 120 hz be OK here? Thanks again

It's really a trial and error thing. What's best is ultimately going to be what sounds best to you. The perfect crossover will not be the same for everyone. I would say that since your speakers obviously don't go down to low that you'll want to raise your crossover a bit higher than the typical setup. I would start at 100hz and go up, seeing which one sounds best to you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/17044586

It's really a trial and error thing. What's best is ultimately going to be what sounds best to you. The perfect crossover will not be the same for everyone. I would say that since your speakers obviously don't go down to low that you'll want to raise your crossover a bit higher than the typical setup. I would start at 100hz and go up, seeing which one sounds best to you.

Thanks for the info. I will probably try your suggestion although I am worried about creating an audio hole in between the low-pass and high-pass frequencies.

·
Registered
993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyonman /forum/post/17045140

Thanks for the info. I will probably try your suggestion although I am worried about creating an audio hole in between the low-pass and high-pass frequencies.

keyonman, turn the crossover OFF on the back of the VTF3.3 and use your AVR to set the crossover, this way you can experiment with receiver crossover setting from about 100hz to 120hz and you will not have a hole in the response (provided you properly set the sub phase and distance to smoothly blend to your sattelites in the crossover region).

I owned a couple of HSU 3.3's and it's a great sounding sub for the price, very musical and a generous amount of output in the Max Output amplifier mode with both ports open. At $399 this is a no-brainer, enjoy!

Cheers,

Ross

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy /forum/post/17045935

keyonman, turn the crossover OFF on the back of the VTF3.3 and use your AVR to set the crossover, this way you can experiment with receiver crossover setting from about 100hz to 120hz and you will not have a hole in the response (provided you properly set the sub phase and distance to smoothly blend to your sattelites in the crossover region).

I owned a couple of HSU 3.3's and it's a great sounding sub for the price, very musical and a generous amount of output in the Max Output amplifier mode with both ports open. At $399 this is a no-brainer, enjoy!

Cheers,

Ross

Thanks. I will be buying this sub this weekend then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts