AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my first real 5.1 setup and seeking for your help with these subwoofers:

HSU VTF-3 - $850 direct price.

M&K 150 MK II THX - $750 - 1 year old, used

movies - 75%, music 25%

Getting Ascends, 340lr & c + 170s as surrounds

Please, please...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I don't have nor have I heard the combinations you are comparing but I can reflect on an experience I went through, maybe it can provide some insights for you.

I have an M&K 150 setup with the M&K 350 sub as a replacement for the 150 and an SVS 25-31pci sub. The 350 sub is a higher end 150 and costs twice as much while the SVS sub is in the $500 range.

I started with the SVS sub and added the M&K combination later. in my opinion, the SVS sub gives more bang for the buck at the lower end of the spectrum. However, I believe in matched sets, especially with satellite systems (i.e., the matched sub is designed properly to fill-in where the satellites leave off). Thus, I bought the M&K sub even at its much higher price tag then the SVS.

How does this relate to you, you say. Well I like the performance of the M&K sub with M&K satellites. However, when it comes to bang for the buck in an area where home theaters like it (low bass). I side with companies like SVS and HSU which are highly thought of on the forum for providing deep bass at a reasonable price. Since neither sub is specifically designed for your other speakers, it is my opinion that you should go for the combination that will give the most obvious improvement to your movie watching experience (i.e., HSU or SVS).

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
You should talk to Dave Fabrikant, owner/partner at Ascend Acoustics. He used to work for M&K and could probably give you a good answer.

You can also ask about Hsu b-stock, which is (I think) 20% off the regular price.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
You might want to wait a month or two for the STF series -VTF 3 performance in max.output mode for a couple hundred less

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.