AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called HSU for some info on these and didn't get much response. Kind of like pulling teeth.. so of course I came here to ask.

I'm setting up surround 7.1 using Mirage Omnisats. I wanted a more powerful and clean bass then what comes with these speakers. The room is difficult because it's really just all opened up to kitchen and dining area (it's an apt) so hope the omnis work well.

Now for subs. The placement of sub is pretty limited.. either right next to couch as an endtable (if I got VTF-3R) or behind the couch using the TN-1220HO (which will be out from the wall a foot or so).

The specs seem similar but I can't see how these would sound/perform the same. HSU says they are very similar but wanted some feedback from anybody on here.

I listen to 50% movies and 50% multichannel music.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
They are very similar, just as Hsu says, but I think the 1220 with the 250 amp is a little cleaner/tighter below 20hz, while the VTF-3R will have a little more output about that. Instead of the VTF-3R, you might want to think about the VTF-3MK2.

Have you sent diagrams asking Hsu for input?

·
Registered
475 Posts
This normally gets down to WAF. The VTF-3R is a killer looking sub where the Tn1220 and 250w plate amp are somewhat plain and definitely not as nice on the eye. Sound wise they are very much the same except below 25 Hz and down to 16 Hz (or so) the Tn1220 holds up like a dead straight ruler where the VTF-3R is not quite as good and falls off a little in the lowest 16Hz notes. Above 25 Hz the VTF-3R is the equal and has a higher output level that the 250w amp can provide the Tn1220.

With your mix of music / Ht there is no set best way besides decorative and the physical room and setup issues (ie separate plate amp) Sound wise these are very close.

Ddavidson

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Agreed. The VTF-3R is the only item in my entire HT that my wife thinks "looks like a normal piece of furniture". I don't think it gives up much in extension or output to any sub. Tough combo to beat at AVS price of $849 shipped...

John

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Hsu usually try not to overhype their subs, generally letting you know which subs will be good enough for what situation. If you ever get to talk to Dr. Hsu himself, and get into an in-depth discussion and he could let you know the fine details of each sub. Throw any application of partial differential equation or complex transfer function and he'll spit the answer and its application right back at you. He knows about subwoofer much more beyond the 2 or 3 basic things that these glorified DIYers knows.

And who said anything about unanswered email?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Quote:
He knows about subwoofer much more beyond the 2 or 3 basic things that these glorified DIYers knows.
I always felt those DIY's were passing out advice with little knowledge........now it's confirmed! Glad I'm even too dumb to be a DIY'er, otherwise I might take offense.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lwang
He knows about subwoofer much more beyond the 2 or 3 basic things that these glorified DIYers knows.
You know, that is a pretty bold comment. How do you think all these companies get started?!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cschang
They are very similar, just as Hsu says, but I think the 1220 with the 250 amp is a little cleaner/tighter below 20hz, while the VTF-3R will have a little more output about that. Instead of the VTF-3R, you might want to think about the VTF-3MK2.

Have you sent diagrams asking Hsu for input?
I didn't see any info on the VTF-3MK2 on the HSU site.

and yes, filled out the form but i guess they didn't really read it right because they suggested placement on top of my front speaker.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
LOL!!

You should call and ask for the Dr. himself.....or send an email.

The VTF-MK2 information is in their forum. Essentially, it is much like the VTF-3R with new 350watt BASH amp and piano black finish for $799. Apparently there will also be a "standard" finish for $699.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the link.. still don't know how you got to it since i don't see it in the list. I have one question though.. which might seem stupid.. but how did it win the Stereophile Guide to Home Theater 2003 Editor's Choice Gold Award when it's a pre-order and not available till February? Also how does everyone know this is a great sub when it's no one has it yet? Or am i missing something very obvious? thanks again for link..looks nice

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.