AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to upgrade my current Kenwood HTB-502 HTiB.

I've got a set of speakers picked out so far.

JBL L890s Fronts

JBL L820s Surrounds

JBL LC2 Center

I was looking at the JBL L8400 but after looking through some of the suggestions here in the subs forum...i see that HSU is having a sale on a couple subs. The VTF-2 MK3 and the VTF-3 MK3 Subwoofer.

Will they be that much better than the JBL?

Are the worth the increase in price (including shipping) the VTF-2 is $100 more and the VTF-3 is $260 more.

Thanks

Urlryn

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Hsu subs will be far more powerful, there is no contest. I think the big question between the VTF2 and VTF3 is a matter of the size of your room. If your room is medium sized or smaller, get the VTF2. If larger, or if you want the sub to handle very deep frequencies easier, get the VTF3. Make sure to pay attention to setup and placement. I would ask for advice from Hsu for the best place and calibration, or you can ask in this forum too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The room it self is about 22x25 with 10ft ceilings. It does open to a hallway.

I'd say about 700-800sq ft open floor plan.

Urlryn

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
That's a large space to pressurize. I would definitely go with the VTF3. Placement will be critical to get good bass in a space like that. I would ask hsu where the best place for a sub is in a room like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room unfort, when the previous owners had it built, wasn't designed with home theatre in mind. This was the garage at one time...converted to a media/game room and hallway connected to the house.

They ended up using it as a storage room more than anything.

Due to power and the location of the doors and windows make placement of the TV and speakers very limited. If I get creative i'll drum up a drawing of the room.

Currently my HTIB sub give a decent boom for my movies but nothing wall shaking or would scare the clothes off anybody
! Originally bought for a 9x10 room so it was way more than enough.

Hopefully I can buy either of the HSU subs before the sales end but that would probably mean I will have to wait on the other speakers till next month.

Urlryn

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Because I already had two subwoofers in a relatively small room I purchased the LC2 and L820 as my front speakers and used two JBL outdoor speakers (N26AW < $130) as the surrounds. In your case, the L820s may go low enough to be effectively combined with a Hsu subwoofer. The cost savings between purchasing L890s and L820s may be substantial.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.