AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to pull the trigger and get a good sub to replace my old, but trustworthy Audiosource SW-50 (8" FF 50W).

I finally decided on an HSU VTF2-MK3, but today checking parts-express I came across a new Dayton HSU12, due to arrive in March. Reading the info and specs, the sub was design by Dr. HSU for Dayton, it is 12", goes down to 20 Hz, and 250W. It looks amazingly similar to HSU's VTF2-MK3 at $100.00 less...

Guys check both subs, and tell me your thoughts. I might end up getting the Dayton, the $100.00 is almost the freight charge to my neck of the woods, for any of the two brand/models.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Since they won't start shipping till March you won't get any real world comparisons. The VTF2-MK3 is a great sub you can find lots of positive information here and all over the net. Other than numbers and speculation there isn't really anything much to say about the HSU12. I'm sure it's going to be a quality sub or it would not bare the HSU name.

The numbers and price looks really good, personally if I were looking at both and didn't mind the at least 2 month wait, I'd give the HSU12 at shot.

·
Registered
809 Posts
A while back, when it was discovered that Parts Express was going

to sell HSU Parts Express subs, there was quite a long thread on it.

Some people were claiming that the Parts Express HSU sub was

a rebadged VTF-2 MK3, with a different logo on it, etc.

I can't find that thread, but I noticed that the HSU Parts Express

12" sub weighed about 30 lbs lighter than the HSU VTF-2/3.

Peter Marcks from HSU was even involved in that thread, and said

that maybe the HSU Parts Express sub was lighter because of

packaging. 25 or 30 lbs (can't remember the exact difference

in weight) is obviously to much weight for different packaging.

Shortly thereafter Parts Express took the weight off the specs of

their HSU subs.

I say that the Parts Express HSU is probably a pretty good sub,

or Dr. HSU would not put his name on it. But if I were you, I would

go for the HSU VTF-2 MK3. It's a great sub and I have heard it

in their showroom a few times. I'm a fan of HSU subs and have

owned four of them. Currently have the VTF-3/3 w/turbo and

MBM-12.

As always good luck with whatever you decide....vardo

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I pulled the trigger on a VTF2-MK3, didn't want to wait...I'm 95% sure that Dayton HSU12 is a VTF2-MK3 with a slightly different enclosure, hence the 2 Hz difference, and the weight.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thread, apparently it is the same, but with different enclosure/tuning. That is inline with my last post. Also, many people kept asking Peter Hsu for an opinion; I doubt he will answer and compromise his product, or Dayton's product. Sometimes is better to keep quiet, and let people find out for themselves. I think that for $100.00 less than VTF2-MK3 it is a great buy.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Audio /forum/post/12878286

Thanks, I pulled the trigger on a VTF2-MK3, didn't want to wait...I'm 95% sure that Dayton HSU12 is a VTF2-MK3 with a slightly different enclosure, hence the 2 Hz difference, and the weight.

How does it sound?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts