AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide which sub to purchase the HSU VTF2 Mk5 or Monolith 12" THX? My room is only 12'x8'x16'. I will eventually buy a 2nd sub.
What is everyone's experience with either of or both of these ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
The monolith has more output around 20Hz. I think the VTF2 has a touch more output >40Hz. They are both great options. Pick which one you like the looks of better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The monolith has more output around 20Hz. I think the VTF2 has a touch more output >40Hz. They are both great options. Pick which one you like the looks of better.
Do you think the HSU Q1or Q2 and Q setting helpful or make a difference?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ported subs in smaller rooms can sometimes sound bottom heavy. If you find that to be the case, lowering the Q value could help. Plugging ports can also help, something you can do with either choice.
It's a matter of preference, whatever you like best. You might not find this to be the case.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I just realized you may have duals down the road. Because of this I might give an ever so slightly small edge to the Monolith 12" because they have an analog phase/delay knob on the amp. That delay knob makes it easier to align dual subs manually without the need for a miniDSP 2x4HD. The HSU would need a miniDSP2x4 or you could try to do it using AVR distances. But using AVR distances just disrupts the EQ from the AVR so that isn't the best choice IMO. It is best to align the subs before presenting them to room correction calibration.

The miniDSP 2x4 HD runs about $200 if you ever want to add it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's been very useful in tuning my VTF3 to my preferences in my room. Not night-and-day type of changes for me necessarily, but noticeable variation.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
How do you like your VTF 3?
Short of it is that I'm very happy with the purchase and am really enjoying it. I have some comments in recent pages of the Hsu owner's thread as well as my own thread here but it's a noticeable improvement over my DIY sealed 15, which was a midbass monster but not so much in the lowest ranges (unsurprisingly).

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Short of it is that I'm very happy with the purchase and am really enjoying it. I have some comments in recent pages of the Hsu owner's thread as well as my own thread here but it's a noticeable improvement over my DIY sealed 15, which was a midbass monster but not so much in the lowest ranges (unsurprisingly).
Wonder if the subs are similar output if si was ported . Still a monster sealed ...I’d think si is close

1 - 10 of 10 Posts