AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I could really use some advice on a couple of used subs I've found locally. There is a rosewood finish HSU VTF3-MK3 that's approximately 6 years old for sale locally that I can buy for $475. I've also found a SVS Ultra PC 12" that's approximately 10 years old that I can buy for $400.

This would be going in my living room which is roughly 30x15x8 and will be used for about 50% TV/30% movies/20% music.

I'm torn on which one would be better for my use.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I weighed in on your last post regarding the 16-46. I would go with the PC Ultra it's got more power and I believe more flexibility in port tuning. It also has a TV12 driver which is a juggernaut of a driver as far as 12" drivers are concerned. Just try to stay around or under $500 and you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the wrong sub guys, the PC Ultra 12" is a cylinder sub. Unless they measure about the same???

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
How about both? >:) Several experts I've been reading suggest dual subs for larger space.

I just bought a VTF-2, and love the configuration options ... have tested it down to the promised 16Hz or so, and various movies, music selections. I'm Impressed. Ensure the seller has got both port plugs. Take along an iPod or something with test tones from audiocheck.net.

My room is just shy of 3000 cubic feet, living room to dining room, with hallway and kitchen to the side.

Now waiting for my neighbor (townhomes) to return from travel and find out what I can do to the dishes in her kitchen.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to go for the HSU, I lucked out because the guy who is selling it lives around 200 miles from my house but he'll be about 20 miles away from me this weekend so we're going to meet up then. I really wanted to go for the SVS and I do think the cylinder subs are neat but ultimately I feel like the shape of the SVS might be a problem long term as far as placement goes. The HSU is a short box that I can hide near field but I can't see doing that with a tall cylinder. I suspect these 2 subs are fairly evenly matched based on what I've read but I think the SVS is tuned a bit lower than the HSU.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
A short box? Haha. Compared with my setup it's like an AT-AT stormed in. Or one of those "Donk" power droids. lol In fact, maybe I'll decorate it Penn Jillette style....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A short box? Haha. Compared with my setup it's like an AT-AT stormed in. Or one of those "Donk" power droids. lol In fact, maybe I'll decorate it Penn Jillette style....

It might be a decent sized box but it's still about half the height of the SVS ultra.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts