AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ever since assembling my MartinLogan Motion 40 / 30 / LX16 rig in early 2013, I'd been searching for a sub to visually match/ blend in with (reasonably)  the beautiful dark cherry real wood veneer of the Motion speakers (within my under $1000 price range) ... not easy ... either the discontinued Monitor Audio Radius 380 or 390, or the HSU VTF3.

Boy, that ULS15 looks beautiful !   $1274 ... WAF :-(

Fast forward to the first week in March 2014 ... making some headway with my better half in regards to upgrading from the Dynamo700 ... used ML Depth i in dark cherry on eBay didn't work out, but somehow I convinced her that buying the HSU ULS15 (in the seemingly gorgeous rosenut) wouldn't be the end of the world ... Geeen light -- proceed !

That was a long 7 day wait ... but the delivery day did arrive ... couldn't concentrate too well at work after she called to tell me it arrived.

Got home and patiently performed all the necessary preliminary change-out procedures before opening the well packed unit.

I'VE SEEN IMAGES OF THE ULS15 IN ROSENUT ON SEVERAL DIFFERENT COMPUTER MONITORS OVER THE PAST 14 MONTHS, COMPARING IT TO THE MARTIN LOGAN DARK CHERRY ... SO ITS NOT BECAUSE OF A FAULTY OR UNRELIABLE MONITOR ... I ADVISE ANYONE EXPECTING TO GET AN HSU SUB IN ROSENUT TO BE PREPARED FOR A SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT COLOR ... and be prepared to have an return procedure cost (nonrefundable $75 delivery charge plus $155 - from Ohio - return postage) them close to the $230 it cost me ... swallow hard.

why not just keep it anyway?

As soon as I took a look at the ULS15, I got that sinking feeling in my gut ... first thing ... call up their website and take a look at their ULS15 in rosenut image for the thousandth time ... no even close ... my wife called the unit I received burgundy ... I'm thinking plum ... and as my wife pointed out, it was sort of a matte finish as well, or, as I think HSU describes their black models "satin" ... there is no such description with the rosenut - it appears in the images as rather glossy

OK ... sit on the couch and look at the new sub next to the Motion 40 ... not even close ... (open up two tabs on the computer and compare the ULS15 in rosenut finish with any MartinLogan dark cherry image - they appear to be a pretty nice match)

I knew almost immediately that a hard-to-swallow and costly return procedure was inevitable ... I DID'NT EVEN HOOK THE SUB UP TO GIVE IT A LISTEN

"Take a step back Tom, and look at life's big picture ... life goes on ... deep breath" I reminded myself.  Still disappointing.

Two weeks after receiving the much anticipated ULS15 (received on a Friday - shipped back after work the following Monday) :

I'm running dual SVS SB2000s :)

and 

I just received my $1199 credit on my credit card statement

and

did I mention I'm running dual SB20000s?  That took a little bit of sweet talkin' as you might imagine ... especially after this misadventure with HSU set us back $230

anyway,  even though SVS is a hour and twenty minute drive from my house (that was a fun road trip :) , it's reassuring that there is audio equipment available with a 5 year comprehensive warranty and generous return policy like that of SVS.

Before finally deciding on the SB2000s, I was considering the Rythmik sealed 12", but the thought of having to pay the postage for a (however unlikely) repair procedure steered me clear of anyone other than SVS.

Finally, when out at SVS, I talked with one of the fellas there about the ULS rosenut misadventure, and he explained how challenging it is for a company to establish and maintain a particular color / finish over the course of time ... I'd suggest to HSU that update their stock photo to better represent their product

... unless of course my unit was an aberration - in which case I think they should pay for the shipping charges - I made it quite clear to them my impressions as to why I felt the return was necessary ...

So ... heads up.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Your post would have been helpful if you had included photos of the ULS next to the ML speakers. At least that way we have a point of reference via your speakers' finish and the Hsu product photo. If the case was the Rosenut finish looked utterly different than the product page photos, I think you would have been within your rights to demand a full refund, shipping included. However, you don't have much of a case to present here because you have no pictures to support your assertions. When I do an image search for Rosenut ULS-15s out in the wild, they seem to resemble the product page photo, perhaps a tad darker:

Hsu's pic:

owner's pics:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'm a stickler for closely matching my speakers as well. I've seen the Rosenut finish and it's nice a lot better looking than the boring black option offered by mfgs. AAMOF...I've seen the Svs finish which closely resembles the Hsu.

Buying my last sub...I wanted to closely match to my Sierra Towers but you could add the same stain to wood veneer and bamboo and not get a exact match. Unless, I decide on going custom it was something that I had to live with. What I like about PSA they sent me samples of all the veneers and I was able to examine them for myself in the actual setting.

In the end... I decided(xs30 in cordovan cherry)...although it didn't exactly match my speakers...it was close enough I could live with it....paying a hefty toll for return shipping back to Hsu is unfortunate as you're not the first person who received that unexpected pinch for returning their subs.

Sounds like you're enjoying dual Svs....congrats..

added pic

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Web pics are tough to get a real-world impression of color and the reason that you often see this noted on websites with photos of finishes. This is especially true when you consider natural materials like wood veneer which can vary. Light and the surrounding area will greatly determine how color is perceived.

Getting samples, as Billy, suggested is a good way to go.

Enjoy those subs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for  sharing your perspective ShadyJ ... yes, looking back, I wish I would have had the foresight to take a photo and share it with the community ... all I could think of when I saw the sub was "this thing's goin' back ... sooner it's packed up the better".

I too saw the other on-line photos which appeared a little darker ... that would have been quite fine - in fact, if not a perfect match (too much to expect anyway), I was hoping for the sub to be a little darker so as not to stick out too much.

Bottom line though, is that HSU has the very sub in their possession, they're fully aware of why I returned it ... they can compare (maybe they did, I don't know) ... still, they chose not to refund or share any of the shipping costs ... oh well, life goes on.

Thankfully, I didn't pull the trigger on the B-stock ULS15 in rosenut with a small blemish - they offer absolutely no refunds (their prerogative) on the B-stock ... that would have been a nightmare - I would have had to paint it or something.

But yes, again, those in the image search I had seen and were what I was hoping for ... not some weird shade of purple.

Thanks Shady J for you input - always appreciated ... respect !

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p  /t/1524811/hsus-rosenut-heads-up#post_24544015

I'm a stickler for closely matching my speakers as well. I've seen the Rosenut finish and it's nice a lot better looking than the boring black option offered by mfgs. AAMOF...I've seen the Svs finish which closely resembles the Hsu.

Buying my last sub...I wanted to closely match to my Sierra Towers but you could add the same stain to wood veneer and bamboo and not get a exact match. Unless, I decide on going custom it was something that I had to live with. What I like about PSA they sent me samples of all the veneers and I was able to examine them for myself in the actual setting.

In the end... I decided(xs30 in cordovan cherry)...although it didn't exactly match my speakers...it was close enough I could live with it....paying a hefty toll for return shipping back to Hsu is unfortunate as you're not the first person who received that unexpected pinch for returning their subs.

Sounds like you're enjoying dual Svs....congrats..

added pic
Thanks for sharing your experience B

I was hoping for close enough to live with - at least ... While $230 is a lot of money ( I'm sure we could all think of something to add to our gear with a $230 audio voucher :) , I have no regrets about sending it back ... it's just one of those things.  Good foresight on your part to request the samples.

And yes, I'm enjoying the dual SB2000s very much ... in fact I remember reading a thread somewhere specifically asking "HSU ULS15 or dual SVS SB12NSDs" and the consensus was pretty much in favor of the dual SVSs ... this was either right before my HSU order or right after ... but I, like you, enjoy the idea of closely matching speakers ... 

congrats on your set-up as well Billy ... that cordovan cherry looks nice :)

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
TomC1315: Pictures from many I.D. companies aren't the best. Tom at PSA mentioned he needs to do a better job with the photos. Unless you get a professional photographer and the right lighting, one won't get a good idea of the actual hue. While I was at Hsu Research I looked at the Rosenut cabinet, and like you, I felt it had a plumb hue (nice finish, but just wouldn't work in my home). But the lighting in the room where they had all of their subs wasn't the best either, so it was difficult for me to like any of their finishes. Shadyj's pictures are impressive (maybe he's an amateur photographer). I later ordered the ULS-15 in satin black and thought the finish was much better than the ones I seen at Hsu Research.

Sorry to hear that the finish didn't suit your needs. It's an impressive subwoofer, especially for its relatively small footprint.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^^ Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell  /t/1524811/hsus-rosenut-heads-up#post_24545062

TomC1315: Pictures from many I.D. companies aren't the best. Tom at PSA mentioned he needs to do a better job with the photos. Unless you get a professional photographer and the right lighting, one won't get a good idea of the actual hue. While I was at Hsu Research I looked at the Rosenut cabinet, and like you, I felt it had a plumb hue (nice finish, but just wouldn't work in my home). But the lighting in the room where they had all of their subs wasn't the best either, so it was difficult for me to like any of their finishes. Shadyj's pictures are impressive (maybe he's an amateur photographer). I later ordered the ULS-15 in satin black and thought the finish was much better than the ones I seen at Hsu Research.

Sorry to hear that the finish didn't suit your needs. It's an impressive subwoofer, especially for its relatively small footprint.
dsrussell: thanks for sharing your experience and perspective and for confirming my description of the color.

My son is studying to become a commercial photographer and although he's just completing his sophomore year at Ohio U., his work is quite good ... that includes his skills with lighting and post-shoot detail work ... and I know what he gets paid for his work, enough so that I imagine a company like HSU could afford a few hundred dollars (certainly less than a grand) to better represent their product line.

All the images I see of my 'dark cherry" MartinLogan Motion speakers are quite accurate ... it's unfortunate for me that the HSU rosenut appeared to be a suitable match for my ML Motions.

And yes, the GIS images ShadyJ shared with us looked wonderful - that's what I was hoping for ... maybe, as I stated above in regards to my conversation with the SVS rep, the color / finish of what HSU offers as "rosenut" has either changed since the photo was taken or there is a variation in the different batches that they produce ... or as you offered, it could be unprofessional photographic work.

Regardless, I just wanted to provide a "heads up" to the community.  and again dsrussell, thanks for taking the time to contribute :)

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Should consider calibrating your monitor....

lol jk. Glad everything worked out though

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315  /t/1524811/hsus-rosenut-heads-up#post_24545384

dsrussell: thanks for sharing your experience and perspective and for confirming my description of the color.

Happy to do so, Tom. And congratulations on your choice of two SVS SB2000 subs! I'm sure you and your wife and family will be thrilled with the result. Also, good luck to your son's burgeoning career.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin  /t/1524811/hsus-rosenut-heads-up#post_24545664

Should consider calibrating your monitor....

lol jk. Glad everything worked out though

You are right, though. Color can vary so much between monitors. It's very difficult to match color based upon what one sees on a screen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts