AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had not much luck with this topic using the search forum function.

My question is how is 4:3 material displayed on a 16:9 screen? I understand that the height of the image will be constrained by the height of the screen with side bars on either side of the image but will this image be displayed using the full native resolution of the pj or displayed using only a fraction of the total pixels?

Thanks in advance for your help!

KT

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
KT,

Assuming no anamorphic lens to squeeze the pixels down, the pixels from the HT1000 are fixed for the distance and zoom that you use. So, if using a 16x9 screen it is using 1024x576 out of the 1024x768 pixels. When you then watch 4x3 material without moving the projector it can only use a subset of the 1024x576, since it can't change where each pixel falls on the screen.

If you want to use all the pixels for 4x3 on a 16x9 screen, then you would need to move the projector closer so that it only projects into that 4x3 space. If the projector had enough zoom range this could be done without moving the projector, but the HT1000 doesn't have enough range.

Hope that makes sense,

Darin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darin,

Thanks, that makes perfect sense. It sounds like I would need a panamorph or a 4:3 screen (for a given throw distance) to take full advantage of the pj's resolution.

Ok, another newbie question:

If i were to get a fixed manual pull-down 4:3 screen would I be able to display the 16:9 material without the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen by controlling how much of the screen is "pulled-down"? ie. is the top of image (under a 4:3 screen pj setting) fixed for both 4:3 and 16:9 material?

KT

·
Registered
695 Posts
You can move the 16:9 image anywhere you want in the 4:3 box. So, yes, you can have them both anchored to the same top line.

-Dylan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dylan & Darin thanks for your help.

I think I will opt for a fixed 16:9 screen for the majority of my viewing and buy a cheap portable 4:3 for gaming and any video material.

KT

·
Registered
698 Posts
If the PJ is set to 16:9 screen, you will use 1024*576 pixels, a "window" that you can move up & down the 1024*768 pixel matrix to your own likings.

Now if you have 4:3 material sent to the 1000 when it's set to 16:9 screen, you will have sidebars: Effective use of pixels is then (I believe) 768*576 - it doens't look like much but...

Vertical use of lines is this configuration is spot on for PAL use...

I used to watch 4:3 TV material on the infocus 340 (800x600) - when in native mode it used 768*576 and was very watchable from a 1.5x screen distance.

Also possible with the HT1000 is a kind of "stretched" mode, where the 4:3 material is horizontally stretched, but not in a linear fashion. The sides are very stretched but the center of the image is almost unaffected. This is nice for F1, soccer, other sports......

Some people try to solve the problem using the zoom. When set properly it should be possible to "zoom in" so that 16:9 and "zoom out" for 4:3 (full panel resolution) material to have constant height.

Last possibility is the use of anamorphic lenses

·
Registered
74 Posts
The manual zoom will work ok, there is however a slight mismatch but I feel it is marginal and fully acceptable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.