AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke to the HT 1000 product manager from NEC yesterday and they finally have chosen a anamorphic lens to ship for the rebate. The lens has a collapse feature that allow you to easily view your image with or without the lens. Unfortunately they are sticking to 8-12 weeks delivery and the lenses still have to be manufactured.

Is anyone else still waiting for the lens? has anyone tried it yet?

· Registered
1,639 Posts
It has had poor W.O.M from CEDIA, and i believe NEC actually stopped showing it there at one point because the results were so poor.

the excuse is that it was a prototype and that the final production model will be perfect.

i'll be taking the rebate and possibly pick up a used panamorph sometime in the future.

· Registered
459 Posts
Is this the same lens that NEC stopped showing at CEDIA because it was so bad (the optimorph)? Or did they choose something else?

· Registered
459 Posts
Who is PSI? Is that the salesman that used to work for Panamorph? Paul James?

Anyway...is that 8-12 weeks from now?

I still can't believe that someone would choose an unproven lens for their $5k projector instead of a $500 rebate....and have to wait 2 to 3 months to get it....and not know whether it is going to look as bad as it did in NEC's booth...or as good as a Panamorph.

It is surprising that NEC is using this lens, especially since it looked so bad at CEDIA that they had to pull it off the projector mid way through the show. There has to be some reason that lens is sooo cheap. Is the lead time due to shipping from the far east?

2 cliche's come to mind...

Pennywise, pound foolish

and

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush

Maybe you guys that need a lens for the ht1000 could get some kind of a powerbuy through AVS? It probably wouldn't be as cheap as the $500 optimorph, but it might be worth a shot. We did that with G15 projectors about 2 years ago, and Alan was able to pull off a pretty amazing deal.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.