AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I would like to set up a 5.1 HT/2 Channel combination system but not sure if its possible. I have an Outlaw 950 processor with a Sunfire 7 channel amp. I would like to be able to use the Sunfire amp and my 2 front speakers in 2 channel mode with my cd player, and not go through the Outlaw. I currently have a 5 speaker set-up, and use the additional 2 channels on my amp to bi-amp my front speakers.

Can I do so with the addition of a 2 channel preamp with pass-thru functionality? If so, is here anything I need to look for? Also, do I need any specific functionality with my amp?

Any advice would be a great help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Michael. So I assume that the cd player is connected to the 2-ch preamp. Can you tell me what manufacturer you are referring to, I'm not familiar with the K-1xe.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi

Sorry, didn't realize I left out the manufacturer.

Ayre K-1xe is the latest model.

It started with the K-1, then the K-1x, latest is K-1xe.

To read a review on it, click this link:

http://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/609/

On the pages following, you can read what's included in each update by going to the 2002 "x" update written by Paul Bolin, and the 2007 "e" update written by Wes Phillips. I have an original K-1, but I like the fact that when I'm ready sometime, I can send it for an upgrade whenever. It sounds amazing as it is right now.

My CD player (Meridian 508.24) is connected balanced to the K-1. There are three balanced and three unbalanced inputs on the K-1.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The K1XE is a pretty expensive preamp, but no doubt a good one - the K5XE is more affordable. Some others to consider: Plinius M8, McCormack RLD-1, Emotiva RSP-1 (by far the cheapest), Parasound, Pass Labs X-2.5, SimAudio Pre3 or 5 (or Pre7 or 8 if you want to spend a lot), Boulder 1010 (also pricey), Innersound Line Stage (or Coda, same thing) or Bel Canto Pre2. There are more but these are most often available at good discounts at Audiogon, and some have transferable warranties (SimAudio and Emotiva).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts