AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am very interested in the SIM HT200. Because of the long throw optic I must use an Isco2 in my room. That's very easy to use with the SIM because you can programme an independent setting for 4:3 & using the Isco! You don't need to take the Isco away for 4:3 formats.

Then you have a real 16:9 unit with smaller 4:3 picture for a 16:9 screen.

So, now I have a question regarding the Isco. Some people say that there is an optical distortion [ like: )( ] using it, because of the typical projector lens-shift. Can I avoid this with the SIM, when I place it at the half-mid height of the screen? ( sorry for my English! )

How strong can this distortion be?

Thanks, Walter

------------------

Graz, hometown of the Terminator...

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello!

Is there anybody who use a SIM HT200 / 250 with an IscoII and can report about the possible optical distortion?

Thanks, Walter.

------------------

· Registered
423 Posts
I'm using it with an NEC VT540. There is always a bit of pincushion distortion no matter what you do. In fact ISCO states that this is unavoidable in anamorphic lens designs. In use, this is no problem. Slightly enlarge your image so that the edges fall in the masking of your screen. You only need 1/2" or so of overshoot. Voila, now the image looks rectangular. The distortion is invisible when watching movies, although I guess you could see it if you projected the right test pattern.

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Drmyeyes,

Thank you very much for your reply! 1/2" overshot seems to be acceptable. How big is your screen size?

Greetings, Walter

· Registered
12,276 Posts
We use a HT200 with the Isco II here at our showroom and yes, there is some distortion. It is very minimal and you really can't see it very well when you position the image so that there is always picture on the screen. In other words, the pincusion part of the image ends up on the frame of the screen, so it disappears. As far as noticing distortions on the actual image (not just the edges), I doubt anyone could really detect them.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460

[email protected]

· Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Jason,

How did you use the optical lensshift of the HT 200. In a

German forum a member wrote me that he tried the Isco with his diapositiv-projector, there is no lensshift possible, and he didn't see any distortion.

I would assume you can avoid the distortion using 0° lensshift, or minimize it using only small lensshift.

Thanks for your info and Greetings, Walter.

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.