AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got this puppy 2 days ago and am temporarily throwing about a 62" wide picture on a matte white wall fed by a Panny RP91.

Colors are outstanding--even better than the HT200. Reds are gorgeous, and the best I have scene. Contrast is very good....blacks appear black to me. Admittedly, I am not a crt owner, so I am probably not the best person to talk about black level, but they look black to me.

16:9 mode is really cool, and there is practically no light spill on the sides this way. There still is spill on top and below of the picture.

Pixelization is pretty minimal from my viewpoint--12' back. I am trying to find the dlp panning problem that people are speaking of and will report back. Overall the picture is very sharp, but obviously digital. I don't mind, because I like that sharpness. I am getting a scan line flicker somehow on dvd menus, and every once in a while during the movie....Seleco told me to play with the freq./phase controls which may fix this.

Concerning lamp output---the 650 lumens here is perfect in a darkened room. Still a very bright picture to me. I don't think there was much difference in brightness compared to the HT200. Maybe it is because the HT200 is 800 lumens 4:3, so 16:9 images sacrafice some lumens....I don't know. I can turn on a small lamp, and the picture is still decent. Obviously, if you have a lot of ambient light, look elsewhere. Lamp life is excellent....6000 hrs.

And the biggie--what most of you have been waiting for as this projector supposedly kills the rainbow effect. Well, it doesn't guys....it does make it much better though. I would say 75% of the rainbows are gone which leaves me very disappointed. I watched MI2 last night, and still saw rainbows every few minutes. They are definitely rainbows too, as I see RGBRGB ones. They seem to be a little smaller however. Any scene with candles, and you still have them, although reduced. 2 other people were in the room and still saw them. If you take your eyes away for the screen, you definitely see them. Maybe I have a defective unit? Who knows....if what I am seeing is right, the Sharp unit would make me weary as well.

Overall it is a great picture...but the rainbows leave me in a real state to ponder, as the whole point of this DLP is get rid of them. LCD is sounding real good right now....but I just don't know what to do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Keith, this is just a guess... but that white wall might be contributing to the rainbow effect, especially at that short throw distance. The screen might be a little too "hot".

It might be worth trying a piece of light gray poster board, to see if cutting down the brightness makes it go away. If it works, and you don't want to get a GrayHawk screen right now, then maybe you could do a light gray painted screen on your wall? I'm not sure if that does the same thing as a GrayHawk or not.

I looked hard for rainbows on my HT200DM (using a similar white wall setup for now), and I couldn't see it with a variety of DVD's. But I didn't have a copy of MI2 to test it on. I might not be that susceptible either. This seems to vary from one person to the next.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Keith I second that recommendation re gray screen. Go over to the Screens thread and run a search and you'll find complete information on how to paint that white wall the proper shade of gray.

Dan

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going out this weekend to find a screen solution....I am moving, which is why I haven't ordered a Gray Hawk...Also, painting the wall is not a good option for me because I don't own the place, and don't want to repaint.

I am going to get some black felt for masking the halo, and then try and find some type of gray fabric. I have my gray hawk sample still, so i will go the fabric district here in the city and search around and see what I find.

I really do think this will lose the remaining rainbows. The picture will be sooo good http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys, I have a 200DM, RP91 and a 123" Grayhawk on order right now. How do your experiences with the 200DM compare to the reported capabilities of the upcoming Sharp. Should I be waiting? There is always something better around the corner, but I don't want to be waiting forever if there is not a significant difference.

thanks

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Seleco too will have a 16:9 offering this fall. My hunch is it will best the Sharp in performance though probably not in price.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The new native 16:9 Sharp sounds good in theory. The new Seleco native 16:9 sounds good in theory. But I think these projectors were planned before the industry knew that there would be a new, all-digital standard for HDTV. For more info, see:
http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...819jul26.story
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/010725/0322.html

What good are these new higher-res projectors going to be (for movies, anyway), if Hollywood will be downconverting all premium HDTV movie content to 480p on analog connections?

Won’t the current Seleco HT200DM do a better job at that resolution? Why put more pixels on the chip than you have in the source material, and introduce additional scaling artifacts? There is a consistent focus in AVSFORUM messages on higher resolution projectors ("more pixels are better"). But one look at what the HT200DM does with an 848 x 480 matrix is enough to convince me that more pixels aren’t always better. I took a hard look at a Dwin Transvision (1024 x 768 ) before buying my HT200DM, and believe me... the HT200DM has a much better image on DVD’s.

This projector isn't the best for 480i NTSC video (the built-in line doubler is okay but not great), and it's not the best for the current incarnation of HDTV (which is about to change drastically). But hook it up to a progressive DVD player, and it kicks butt. It was designed to do one thing very well.

If I was interested in HDTV and higher res projectors, I would wait a year, and I would wait to buy something with digital inputs. The waters are a little muddy right now. It’s a lot easier for those of us who just want a great DVD picture.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I was under the impression, the more pixels the better..

Isn't that what the DILA crowd has been saying for years???

-- Cain

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dan/foldedpath, thanks for the comments.

I think I'll stay with the 200DM as the majority of my viewing will be DVD.

As for HDTV, it's not even on my radar because of availability in Canada, which significantly lags behind the US. I don't watch enough TV to make a difference anyways.

For interlaced source material, would a DVDO make a significant difference over the internal doubler?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
MI2 is a killer test for rainbows. For example, I saw the new Yamaha projector on a Grayhawk running first U571, then MI2. No rainbow to speak of on the first, the second drove both my wife and I crazy.

Keep watching and tweaking. Supposedly the Grayhawk cuts down on rainbow.

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted!

Dan

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
The seleco 200DM is the best 1 chip dlp I have seen period. I can see enough of an improvement in the short time it took to bring this unit to market verses there other projectors that I am confident we will see something even better this time next year hopefully matching crt technology.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An update on the picture/rainbow:

I watched the mummy tonight....the picture IS DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. This is a pretty darn good transfer, and really shows the Seleco in its glory. Flesh tones are incredibly accurate...the desert scenes have a lot of motion, and I don't notice a "panning" problem. If anyone has a specific scene on this, please give me the chapter and dvd. The shadow details seemed very good as well.

This time, I saw maybe a dozen rainbows...Also, I think I would up the 75% I said earlier to around 85-90%....however, they don't really bother me greatly like they did on the HT200. Reason is, they are much quicker than the "old" rainbows on 4 segment wheels, and they are smaller. I only really see them on candles in scenes...I am going to go to a forum member's setup this weekend (HT250), and bring my pj to hook up to his 96" wide Gray Hawk--I think this will make them totally disappear....also, going to go fabric shopping tomorrow, and get a screen up. Tired of this halo stuff http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jamo--I think a 123" screen is too large for this pj, and would worry about brightness/dim picture...650 lumens should stay under 8' from everything I have read.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.