AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading my audio system and have been looking at receivers. Among others, I have looked at the Yamaha RX-V540, the Kenwood VR-7070A, and the Panasonic SA-XR45. My viewing room is 12' deep and 14' wide (not a very deep setup, but works for me). I don't listen to any music. This receiver will only be used to decode audio from either DVD or Satallite. I don't need video switching or upconverting. I only want a reciever that sounds nice. I guess it should have all the current decoding options (Dolby Prologic II, DTS, DTS EX, THX Surround EX, DTS Neo:6). My current system is in my signature. I will probably need speakers in the near future as well, but I will start here. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have the panasonic XR45 and I like it. Its a 6.1 HT receiver and it has all the options that you mention, DPL2 and NEO6. I can't really tell you how it compares to the others since I haven't heard them. You could go down to your local circut city, best buy or whatever and check out the XR25 model if you want to hear what it sounds like. I currently have mine hooked up to a Direct Tivo unit and a DVD player with the optical inputs and it sounds great. There are a few other threads on here that talk about what speakers go well with it.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
How about the Yamaha 1400? The Yamaha rceivers are designed with home theatre in mind from the start... It's $570 from etronics and should allow you to utilize new speakers decently. Ultimately you could then even add amps to it, but I'm not sure how carried away you're looking to get. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just bought a Pioneer Elite 53TX. It's got exceptional processing for DD, DTS, Neo6, DPL and DPL2, THX EX. I've found it truly blows away my old Onkyo 500. Plus, the auto MCACC does a super job with speaker adj.

It also does a great job with multichannel music.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to stay in the $300-$400 range.

dcrook....What speakers are you using? What size of room are you using for HT?

I have heard that the Panasonic XRs are great at mid volume, but tend to muffle when they are cranked up. Anyone have an opinion on this? Any other info or suggestions would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
chrixx,

I'm using a pair of infinity bookcase speakers. I've cranked the receiver up a few times blasting some slayer when the wife and kid are out and it doesn't sound muffled. Its in a small room, 10 x 12 maybe?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That sounds great. My room is not much larger so that is good to know. I use infinitely speakers as well. After watching Open Range on DVD tonight using DTS, I realized that I really don't have a complaint with my receiver for DVD. I just wish I could get two channel to upconvert to 5.1 with satellite. Oh well....guess I need to upgrade. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have narrowed down my search to the Panasonic SA-RX45 and the Kenwood VR-7080. Anyone able to sway me one way or another?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Onkyo 601 and Denon 1804 would be my choices,

Comp switching , at least 2 optical ins and powered- multiroom/multi-source

·
Registered
723 Posts
Don't know much about the Panny, but I didn't look seriously because of no preamp outs (Kenwood has 7.1 preamp outs, and outs for another room). Be sure to get the 'A' desegnated model as they have upgraded amp sections and HD component switching.

By the way, you can save some dough with the 7070A as the only different is the remote. I prefer the 7070 remote as I don't have to look at it to find the right button (do it by touch) and it has codes for ReplayTV (most don't). The 7080 has a touch screen like remote but has no tactile feedback so (although backlit) yoou have to look at the remote to find the right button.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.