Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I used warble tones this weekend to look at low frequency room response. I have a 8-10db peak in the 60 & 50 Hz range. Otherwise the room is fairly flat from 200Hz down. This peak is really bothersome for music listening and I am looking for ways to curb this peak. I am very limited in speaker position and can slide them in toward the center for music listening which helps overall but not the peak. The web page doesn't show it yet but I can slide the speakers in towards the center of the room in front of the screen for music listening. You don't notice the effect that much during movies but with music listening it can be a real drag. The room is 14' wide, 23' long and 7' 9" ceiling. Pics can be seen on my web page. In the web page the main speakers look as if they are against the back wall but it is a false wall. The real wall is 3.5 feet behind what appears to be a wall. If you go behind the screen it is like a long closet for equipment access.. The screen is acoustically transparent. Above below and behind the mains is grill material so it is really like no wall. The peak was worse before I turned the back wall into a false wall. It is not the speakers as different speakers do the same thing. The HT is in my basement and is concrete behind the drywall on three sides. I would like to curb the peak in this specific range and am wondering if any acoustic wizards out there have any miracles considerably shy of tearing down the building. I am not skilled in acoustics and assume I have a standing wave in that range. Can something like a bass trap make significant improvement in that freq range.

Web Page:
http://www.geocities.com/dhummm/

Ideas please,

Thanks,

Ralph

:confused:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. The BFD FAQ says not to use it with your main speakers. I was not clear on my post (sorry). My mains are full range and go very low. My mains have one 15" passive radiators, (8) 6 1/2" drivers and (4) 1" tweeters in each speaker. This peak I mention is with no sub at all. My mains are Polk SRS SDA 1.2's. My web page shows the smaller SDA 1C's but my new 1.2 speakers are considerably bigger. Also, I still have the same problem with the 1C's. Is there a different device for full range speakers or something else I can do? I will continue to read all the BFD posts as well (thanks for the starting tip).

Ralph-

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mflaster

Has this product been discontinued? I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere.
Mike,

As far as I know, they still show current from our suppliers. It's a pro-sound piece, so try your local music store or DJ store. Guitar Center carries them here in California. Here's some Guitar Center locations in New Jersey.

You may want to give them a call to see if they have it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ralph,

My bad...didn't realize you weren't using a sub. :(

Like you've probably already read, the BFD really isn't for main speakers, but works great for taming a sub.

I'm not familiar enough with other bass taming techniques, so hopefully others will comment.

Good luck!

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chris,

I called Audio Control and I didn't realize that the Richter Scale sub EQ I already have can be used for my full range mains. I use the RS Xover portion for my "side speakers" and "side" subs but I wasn't using the EQ portion of the unit. For those not familiar with the RS it has a very special fully customizable crossover and a six band sub EQ. I didn't realize the EQ portion doesn't effect the frequencies above the sub EQ. I didn't think the fix would be free! The different sections of the unit are discreet so no problem one side is used for the Xover and the other side for the EQ on my mains. I set it up this weekend and the difference is very dramatic. I had a total range of about 18db from 200Hz down to 20Hz. The 50-60 Hz ranging being the worst local area and about 10db above the average. After about 30 mins with the EQ I got the room down to a total range of 7db from 200Hz down to 20Hz. That's +/- 3.5db from 200Hz down to 20Hz (YES, EVEN AT 20Hz). If I play a little more I'm sure I could get within +/- 3db. I used the Stereophile warble tones for my adjustments. I have listened for a few hours over the weekend and can't see any negatives yet. If the EQ is adding anything negative I can't tell yet and it certainly won't outweigh the problem it fixed. The low end is just incredible. Lots of punch with no hanging frequencies anymore. Boosting the 20-25Hz that previously sloped off a little puts some real authority to the bass as well. I was amazed at how not only did I get rid of the nasty peak, but also I was able to achieve a much flatter response. I must say I'm converted, the EQ is a big help, no doubt about it. I can now listen to a bunch of my favorite music that I just couldn't stand listening to before the EQ. Needless to say that's exactly what I did, I put on all the bass heavy tracks that would make even short listening stints fatiguing. The RS is very cool!! Below is a favorable review of the RS.

Link to SMR review of the Audio Control Richter Scale

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Revi...1/Richter.html

Ralph-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.