AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I visited the local "flagship store" for Best Buy (Bloomington, MN) and found to my surprise a front projector setup. It was the Sharp Theago DLP, and it was set up in an area that used be a RPTV/HD/surround sound demo. They "boxed in" an 11x10' area and surrounded some of the room with an shaded glass, but plenty of light was shining through both sides of the room (because there were 3' door openings on either side about 2' back from the screen) and even the false ceiling had openings that let in light. It was hooked up using a component cable and being fed by a small progressive scan player that I think they must package as a Theago system accessory. I think it was a 70" wide 16x9 screen they were projecting on, but the image was not as wide as the screen. The projector was ceiling mounted about 10' back from the screen. Given the dimensions of the room, it was nearly impossible to be back far enough from the screen to avoid seeing the screen door, but I think about 12' back would have made it disappear. Obviously, the whole setup was lacking, but it was nice to see them make an attempt at carrying projectors.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I recently saw a different approach at CompUSA selling business PJ's. They had 4 projectors stacked with a switcher projecting a very small image about 4 feet away under a hooded display. Far from ideal, but playing with the switcher I was able to get some idea of how the projectors compared.

I know, this wouldn't sell many HT projectors by itself, but it would go a long way to promoting public awareness. And that compact display (as it is) could work easily in any retail setting.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yea but they should also have these in one of the classrooms.. they might let you demo them back there.. I am thinking about the toshiba s30 good lumens.. good contrast but only in specs.. the demo they had at the local store here the switcher wasnt working.. and hasnt worked since they set it up. i never spoke to anyone about it figured they would see i was messing with it and fix it..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.