AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum! I know this has been asked a lot, so sorry if it gets repetative.

Here is my Setup(I'm on a limitied budget, so it's all I can do for now)

Sony STR-DE675 Receiver

(3)CSW M80's, fronts and center

(2)CSW M50's, Rears

Panasonic DVD-RV31(Only optical digital audio, no coaxial)

RCA VCR(Mono for the audio, so only one audio out)

27" Sharp TV- 27R-S480(1 S-Video Input) link here

I'm now planning on getting digital cable and was wondering the optimal way of connecting everything.

Right now, I have the VCR connected to the receiver using one RCA audio(mono input on the VCR) and a RCA video to the TV. The cable wire from the wall goes into the VCR, then into the TV from the VCR. The DVD player is connected directly to the TV via S-Video and to the receiver with an optical digital audio cable. I tried to connect the TV and DVD player to the receiver for video but I couldn;t get the DVD player to send video to the TV for some reason. Now, with the addition of digital cable, I need some advice on the best way to hook everything up and have everything work. The digital cable box has an S-Video output as well as a coaxial digitl audio output. If this is confusing or if anyone needs more info please let me know I apprecaite the help!

Question 2:

can I mix the 2 audio signals, optical and coax digital audio? Like right now, I have the reciever on Opt mode so the DVD player works with the Digital Audio cable. If I put it on some sort of Auto mode could I successfully use both those signals when switching from the DVD player to the cable and vice versa? Also, my friend has the digital cable box and he never mentioned about the regular RCA audio connection for the non-Dolby Digital channels. I'll have to ask him if you have to do that, but I don't recall him having to do that. Also, the VCR is the only sorce non-SVideo. If I connected the video out to video in on the TV will I be able to record shows from the digital cable and watch VHS tapes?

I just thought of another problem I might have.

here is the back of my receiver: Back of the Sony STR-DE675

Now, the digital cable I'm assuming gets connected to the TV/SAT area? If so, then I could do the S-Video from the cable box to the receiver with no problems. Then I would have the DVD connected S-Video to the receiver and run an S-Video from reciver to TV. But for audio, the DVD player is connected via optical digital audio through the top optical port you see(labled DVD/LD), the next optical input is for TV/SAT then the next for MD and the last for MIC/Tape Out. The one coax input is for the DVD/LD. Now, where would I connect the Coax digital audio cable coming from the digital cable box so that when I'm on DVD/LD mode I get the sound via optical digital audio and video on the TV, and then when I switch to TV/SAT(assuming that's where I connect the digital cable) I get digital audio from the coax and video on the tv. Sorry if this is confusing hehe

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
I tried to connect the TV and DVD player to the receiver for video but I couldn;t get the DVD player to send video to the TV for some reason.
With few exceptions, receivers cannot convert video signals (composite to s-video). You would need to run s-video and composite from your receiver to the TV (and switch the TV video input between sources) to get this to work.

However, now that you have an all s-video system (DVD and cable box) you can use a single run of s-video from your receiver (no composite required).

Are you sure that your digital cable box has a digital audio output? (most do not) The "digital" refers to the digital compression and multiplexing of the channels into one cable (entering your cable box). If your cable box does have a digital coax out, you are out of luck unless you get a digital coaxoptical converter . A cheaper option would be to hook up your DVD to the TV/Sat connections and vice versa. However, you'd have to hit the opposite button on your remote (hit TV to watch a DVD). If you decide to upgrade your receiver, be aware that some have assignable inputs (i.e. you tell the receiver that digital coax #2 is for the DSS/TV mode).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greg, I appreciate the help a lot! What receiver would you reccomend that has that capability? I can't upgrade now, but it would be good to know for the future!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.