AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched until I am blue in the face, and read almost everything in this forum, and there are some things that I still don't get. I'm something of a bonehead when it comes to these things. First:

Found a great deal on the 1911. I like the features Not quite ready yet to pull the trigger on a new set of speakers (though that MartinLogan MR-1 on Newegg looks tempting.)

The HT-DDW670 set that I have had for ages has 5.1 itty bitty bookshelf speakers rated at 6 ohms, and an unpowered sub. Will I blow out the receiver trying to drive them at reasonable volumes?

Many thanks in advance for answering my boneheaded question, and thanks for all the fish!

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Time to upgrade and move beyond the Sony entry level setup. The Martin Logan setup appears to be fairly decent and would be a good match with the 1911, although they do seem to be overpriced and apparently ML just wants to get rid of them. HTIB speakers/sub are generally designed to work only with the receiver they are packaged with. You'll definitely need a "powered" sub with the 1911 and most stand alone AVRs. You also may want to consider the Energy Take 5.1 Classic which is likely the most recommended 5.1 setup with the lower level Denon AVRs.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I wouldn't get the MLT-1, I would spend $60 more and get the MLT-2 system. You get larger satellite speakers and a 10" woofer vs smaller sats and a 8" woofer on the MLT-1.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882981013

The sale ends today with $270 off w/ promo code EMCKBHE72, ends 8/31

Your Sony system is junk, the Denon 1911 and MLT speakers will be much better than what you currently have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I was actually aware that my system was junk, hence the upgrade. I just wanted to know if the speakers could still be used for the time it takes to get something better (couple of weeks).

What you folks seem to be saying is that the sub won't, but the speakers most likely will, for that short amount of time. I appreciate your recommendations, thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.