AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My entrance will be directly in the middle of the back wall. 18'x14'x8'8" room. I am using french door opening with doors swinging out of the ht. Any suggestions on seating? I would also really like to place a platform for the seating but having a hard time since the opening is where it is. Any suggestions on a platform? BTW, WAF forced the doors to be where they are :(

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Build the riser for the seats and have them go all the way to the wall on one side. Leave room in the back and one side to walk around the riser. The other end of the riser can be used for steps going up the riser.

Or if you just have one raised row, then the riser going to the wall is not needed. Just space it out from the side and back walls. You can walk in and around the seats.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Huskerfan, my HT entrance is going to be in the middle of the back wall. I will have a platform for the 2nd row seating. The platform is going to be the whole width of the room and extending about 6' out. However I will cut out 18" deep and as wide as the door from the platform, so when the HT door opens there's an area it is at the same level as outside of the door.

Ken

·
Registered
202 Posts
I will also have my entrance at rear center. However, instead of having the riser cutout in the theater, the door will be raised to the riser height with a semi-circle step outside the room. This allows the riser to span the whole room and it will give the exterior a more interesting entrance. I also like the idea of walking in with the front of the theater appearing to be sunk.

The one thing I haven't decided on yet is the door being a double or single. I would prefer double, but am worried about sound containment without having to spend thousands on the doors.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My last home, theater.... Had the door (single) centered on the back wall. I had the entry way to the room at "ground level". You would come into the room and have to walk to the left or right of the rear row of seats. Step up once to either take another step to the rear row or a step down to the front of the riser and front row. I liked the set up very much.

The new room will have a door opening on the side of the room. Just the way it worked out. I actually liked the layout of the centered door, on the rear wall. With the exception of when someone came into the room. I had a RPTV and the glare from the door being opened was annoying!

Good luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
I will have a door located in the back wall directly in the middle. This room isnt built yet but so far what I am looking at doing is having 2 sets of loveseat style chairs on either sides of the door. This way there will be a small isle infront of the door. While not ideal for the back seats those are additional seats for when we have more people over and not main seating.

We knew this room was going to be our theater so we are having that room sunk either 6 or 8 inches (can't remember exactly right now) so that the back riser will be flush with the door when walking into the room. Layout of my room is available at http://www.nicholasholmes.com/ht/blueprint.jpg

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dan, I had thought of building the rear wall on the platform and have a step on the out side. But I don't have enough room on the outside for the step, a kind of taking away space from my gym. Also I am planning to build the platform and stage after all the drywalls are up. This way I can visualise what's the maximum height and depth for them.

Ken

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ken,

I also plan on having the riser built after drywall. The door will simply be framed taller than normal (door height + finished riser height). The riser will then extend into the framed door opening and the door will actually sit on the extension of the riser.

I hope that makes sense. (Keep in mind, I haven't put this idea to use yet. I won't be ready for that for a few months yet, but it's what I'm planning on doing.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here's a slightly "out of the box" idea:

If you can sacrifice 3 feet or so in the back of the room, build a wall there, so when you come through the french doors, you have to go either left or right to go around it...kind of like a traditional theater. It solves your problem of what to do with the platform, and will not let light in when someone opens the door during a movie.

I attached a pic to show what i mean.

-Scot

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's actually a cool idea. My room is only 18 feet long so not sure I can sacrifice the room. I will check it out. Thanks! and thanks for the attachment.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have not started construction yet, still planning and accumulating parts.

However, I'm going to go with my HT entrance directly in the back of the room. Double doors that swing out into the other room (not the HT). Probably use some type of exterior door with a good threshold.

http://www.30th-ta.org/hometheater/100_0093_s.jpg
http://www.30th-ta.org/hometheater/100_0093.jpg

That is the view looking from the screen to the back of the HT where the wall and doors will be. Wall will pretty much be where the outer wall ends on the right side, maybe a few feet short. The room out behind the HT will be a big rec room with a pool table and what not. Reason for the entrance at the back center of the theater room is so I can open up the double doors while having a party or whatever and still have the game showing...

As far as the seating problem, I'll probably have a riser with 3 "theater" style seats on each side with a aisle in the middle. Front row will be some recliners like Berklines or something. That way the view won't be obstructed from the other room. View from the riser won't be optimal, but those will be overflow seats anyway. Basically same setup as Bighitter mentioned above.

Hopefully it'll all work like planned............ :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
One caveat and related question to one of the suggestions mentioned by DanKaps.

My design right now (not started yet) calls for steps outside the theater similar to what DanKaps outlined. My biggest worry is sound transmission. I'm sealing the theater and soundproofing, but with the riser jetting out into the adjacent room, unless I fill it with sand or something, it becomes a nice big resonance chamber to transfer sound to the outside. I'm thinking of building the outside step and small platform at the top of the step (entrance) separately from the inside platform and not letting them touch directly. I may need to fill the outside portion with sand and place the threshold of the door over the "seam" between the two platforms.

Any comments on this? Any other ideas? DanKaps...did you think of this (or care) and did you come up with a solution?

Thanks.

Bill~

·
Registered
202 Posts
Bill,

I've attached a picture...The riser will be fully insulation-filled with a doubled top layer (you've got me thinking about sand in the center rear however). I personally don't think that it will transmit "enough" energy into the adjacent room to be a problem.

(The adjacent room is a rec room)

·
Registered
641 Posts
billwill,

Build the "outside the room" step up as part of the rear wall / door frame assembly. Then move forward with you plan to build the riser independent of the side AND rear wall. Be very careful and build to tight tolerances leaving as small a gap between the walls and rear step (leading out the door). Tis way you can have it carpeted and not have the risk of a high heel or the like getting wedged in the gap.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Huskerfan,

Click on my signature below to see how we did the rear entrance to our theater.

BTW,

Go Panthers!!!!! :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.