AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings... long time lurker... first time poster.

I have narrowed down my HT eqipment to the following list, and wanted to get some opinions from the group before I throw down the $$. General goal of our dedicated HT is an amazing 7.2 audio with phenomenal 1080p video. Thats not too much to ask is it??

Video
  • Epson 8500BU (was going to go with the 9500, but they looked almost 95% identical, and the 9500 seems to be ~$1000 more)
  • 120" AcousticPro 1080 ezFrame Elite Screen (AT) - (would love feedback on this one)

Audio
  • Denon AVR-3310CI
  • Klipsch 6504 THX (LCR) (x3)
  • Klipsch KS-7502-THX (Surround / Rear) (x4)
  • Klipsch RSW-10D Sub
  • Velodyne DLS5000R Sub (existing from current system)

Accessories
  • Universal MX450 Remote
  • MRF350 Addressable RF Base Station
  • Panamax M4300 Power Conditioner and Surge Protection
  • Panamax Max 2 Surge Protectionfor Projector
  • Lutron Programmable IR Dimmers
  • Lutron motorized window shade

Furniture
  • 2 Rows of power recline theater seating - each row is 2 love seats separated by the arm rest, adn arm rests on each end. Seats 8 adults total, with a couple of mini love sacs in the front

thanks in advance for any feedback... looking for suggestions on the rack for the equipment too. Appreciate your help... I love these forums that have been a tremendous help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe that you have chose the correct projector. It looks great!! I would suggest that you take another look at your screen choice. The Carada screens are top notch and will save you some cash. Their customer service is unmatched and you wont be dissapointed. Take a look....... Screen size - what will be the viewing distances and angles? and will the room be completely light controlled?

I think your equipment choices are superb. You may spend a little more than needed for the Denon. I personally think the Integra receivers provide more quality at a slightly better price point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Screen size - what will be the viewing distances and angles?

Front row will be ~12,5' from the screen, backrow will be ~19.5'. The room is 20ft long, by 15 wide, with 3.5' on one side for accessing the rows. Viewing angles, I don't know the exact angles, but the eyes will be below center of the screen but above the bottom of the screen. Is that ok?

Quote:
and will the room be completely light controlled?

Yes. The roller shade will black out the only natural light, and the rest of the lights will be IR controlled and dimmed/darkened.

Thanks again. I'll check out the integra, I too am a big fan... any recommendations for the same power on the integra?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you already have your Klipsch speakers? Where do you plan on purchasing them if not?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think your choices are all reasonable -- they are pretty much all products I would consider if I were building a system from scratch.

Using in-wall speakers for the LCR is likely to be something of a compromise, though. With 20' to play with, I would probably aim for a design that let me use free standing speakers. Having said that, my other comments will be on the assumption that in-wall speakers are your best option.

I admit to a slight bias against Klipsch speakers. If you have heard these and like them, I'm sure they will be fine. Other similar products you might consider: Definitive Technology UIW RLS II or Paradigm Signature LCR 3 for the LCR and Def Tech UIW RCS II for the in-ceiling surrounds. I have listened to the Def Tech speakers a little and thought they sounded amazing for an in-wall and in-ceiling setup. I suggest the Paradigm speakers based on reputation, only -- I haven't ever heard them.

I'm not familiar with that Klipsch sub. In general, I think Klipsch makes some pretty good subs but they don't seem very high on the bang-for-your-buck scale. I would probably look at something like the SVS PB-13 Ultra.

The Denon receiver would be an excellent pick. You might want to compare the Integra DTR-9.9, which has gotten excellent reviews.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dwightp.

I have been working with a local HT shop, who loves the Klipsch. They have always sounded great, but to be honest, I don't know any different. Has anyone heard both and can compare?? I'd love to get more bang for the buck if the quality is there as well.

I do have room that I could do free standing. I considered the Klipsch RF-82 or RF-63 series, but like the look of in-wall, and the design of the room will not have any columns to hide the on-wall surrounds.

I have considered running free standing in the front behind a false wall, and in-walls for the surrounds and rear. I have a window non-strategically placed [the center of the window is right where the second row tier begins] in the room (not by design and my better half wont let me frame over it), that would place the surrounds too high, so I am going with in-ceiling speakers that can be positioned.

Bad pic with the iphone, but you get the idea.

What suggestions would you have for free standing LCR?

Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Actually, there's no one here on the forum that can give you any reasonable advice with respect to your equipment choices without known your room dimensions, seating distances, what treatments you plan for the room, light controlled or not, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The front row may be a bit close for a 120" screen. IMO, this is really up to YOU and how much you would like to be immersed. I would suggest going to a HT store and sitting and watching something from the appropriate distance to replicate what you are looking at putting in your room.

One more thing - what is your throw distance going to be for your projector? and along with that.......what is the screen gain of the screen you are looking at?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have thought that as well. I kind of dig the slightly larger screen, but a 110" is probably more appropriate for the viewing distance. I threw this quick sketch of the room together to give a better idea of how things are looking.

The throw on the projector says about 17' according to the calculator and size. I was hoping I might be able to leverage the 16" furring from the foundation that we had to do and add a shelf to extend a bit for the projector, but we will likely have to use a mount if the calculation is a max distance.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the calculation on the throw distance. Looks like I could put it in the back of the room and leverage that furr-out, and be at a 1.2x zoom and achieve 110" screen.

What should I consider when positioning the projector as far as lumen output/usage? Is it better (brighter) to be mount closer to the screen but require to zoom, or will the difference be negligible?

Thanks for everyones thoughts here... it has been helpful to think through it a bit more thoroughly.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Quote:
What suggestions would you have for free standing LCR?

I'm happy to give you my thoughts but you'd probably get more and better-informed opinions by starting a thread on the speaker sub-forum.

Some speakers I would seriously consider:

Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v.5

Paradigm SE3

Outlaw Audio LCR

PSB Imagine T

PSB Image T6 (might be a budget buster)

Definitive Technology Mythos STS (needs a separate subwoofer, no matter what Def Tech claims)

The Paradigm Studio 20s sometimes come up on Audiogon. Audiogon usually has some PSB speakers listed, as well, though I don't remember seeing these particular models. Might be something to consider if you want to save some money and don't mind buying used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

My gut tells me that going with the Klipsch THX series speakers that I may be over-paying a bit, but comparing the response/specs of the THX vs the Reference (in-wall), the numbers seem to be there to justify the higher price point.

I am no audiophile, but the THX sounded great when I listened to them in a similar room as mine, but I would very much prefer to spend less if I can get the same quality / precise sound for less $$.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Do not decide on your screen until you've experienced different size images from your seating positions. You'll get 1,000 different opinions on how large of a screen you SHOULD have from those distances, but ultimately it's up to you and what your preference is.

I would recommend getting away from in-walls for your LCR speakers as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.